• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

G&L Comanche w/ Staggered Shaller tuners needs string tree?

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
I recently picked up a Comanche with locking Shaller tuners, which are staggered, but it also has a string tree for the B&E strings. I think there's probably enough break angle without the string tree, but it's sort of shallow. Has anyone removed theirs?

Mpcoluv

Silver Supporting Member
All you Can do is try it and see. I've taken off several string trees over the years and it's been hit and miss...

Heinz57Pep

All you Can do is try it and see. I've taken off several string trees over the years and it's been hit and miss...
This. In my experience the staggered tuners, on their own, don't do a good enough job of eliminating string trees. Need some degree of pitch in the headstock angle.

You might think of it as an insurance policy, if the nut isn't 110%. I've kept the trees (just like those) on both of my mid 2000s Comanches (with those locking Schallers) and the tree is kinda gross looking but it does increase the break from the tree to the nut. Besides, you'd be left with a hole you cannot disguise well.

I've spent long, long hours trying to run many new projects without trees and every time, seemed to me the tree I eventually added, helped. I do everything I can to get the string breaking away from the post as close to the headstock face as possible and do my very best on each nut slot, but a little more help is always good in terms of tuning stability and string feel. You will see me eliminate a D-G tree if the breaks can be gotten right, but I think at this point every guitar I have uses a B little E tree. Oh, except for the lefty headstock T type which uses a beefy E-A tree.

jzgtrguy

Gold Supporting Member
I recently picked up a Comanche with locking Shaller tuners, which are staggered, but it also has a string tree for the B&E strings. I think there's probably enough break angle without the string tree, but it's sort of shallow. Has anyone removed theirs?

Dig the speed knobs...

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I took it off, and am not seeing (hearing) any problem. The opens still ring out OK, and strings aren't popping out of the nut. I would guess that because the PLEK system also cuts the nut, or at least specifies the cut for the nut, that the nut is good enough not to need the tree. Time will tell.

Dig the speed knobs...
They're JAT knobs. He sells on eBay: http://stores.ebay.com/clower777?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Trending Topics

Top Bottom