• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

G&L Doheny or Fano JM6 Standard

detroiter711

Comments are welcome on this comparison. I have read the lengthy thread on the Doheny and my interest is high. I am looking at moving some gear to pick up a modern JM style guitar (or two). How do these two models compare? I know nitro vs poly and traditional pickups vs the G&L MFDs. Can the Doheny cover classic rock tones?

jklotz

Not to add to the decision process, but also check out the Surh JM Pro, which you can get with buckers or P90's and body string through hardtail or strat style trem.

I was interested in the Doheny, but it only comes with a really thin neck, which doesn't work for me.

eurotrashed

Ever since PBG sold Fano, the guitars I've seen look more low quality, especially the distressing. I havent played a post-PBG Fano but I doubt they are as good as when Gene Baker was making them for PBG.

jwguitar

Ever since PBG sold Fano, the guitars I've seen look more low quality, especially the distressing. I havent played a post-PBG Fano but I doubt they are as good as when Gene Baker was making them for PBG.
I have noticed that too. I thought I was the only one who thought that.

hhylkema

Silver Supporting Member
I love my Doheny. I wasn’t sure what to expect. Pups are super articulate with great strong definition. It’s a very lively guitar.

I’ve not played a Fano or other JM style guitars, so I can’t compare.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
Not to add to the decision process, but also check out the Surh JM Pro, which you can get with buckers or P90's and body string through hardtail or strat style trem.

I was interested in the Doheny, but it only comes with a really thin neck, which doesn't work for me.

I have a JM Pro that looks exactly like that. Not sure how close it is to an actual JM, but it is a great guitar!

Austin

xrcdan

I love my Doheny. I wasn’t sure what to expect. Pups are super articulate with great strong definition. It’s a very lively guitar.

I’ve not played a Fano or other JM style guitars, so I can’t compare.
i've got one also and second his opinion of p/u's-it's a fantastic instrument,i'm very happy with mine.

mikemjr12

I've got a G&L Doheny and it's one of the best guitars I've played in a long time. The MFD pickups can do clean and overdrive very well. The neck is great as well. The slightly wider nut (1 11/16") width feels just slightly different from a 1 5/8" nut. The satin finish is great. Very smooth and comfortable. The neck depth is great too. I don't get hand cramps from playing - and I have incredibly average sized hands that cramp up quickly from thin necks. 21 frets hardly makes a difference and 9.5" radius is a good balance for chording and soloing. I would probably prefer a 1 5/8" nut, but it's certainly not a deal breaker. I highly recommend giving it a shot.

SciFlyer

Silver Supporting Member
Comments are welcome on this comparison. I have read the lengthy thread on the Doheny and my interest is high. I am looking at moving some gear to pick up a modern JM style guitar (or two). How do these two models compare? I know nitro vs poly and traditional pickups vs the G&L MFDs. Can the Doheny cover classic rock tones?
I have a Doheny. It has pretty much replaced the Jazzmaster I've had since the '90s as my go-to guitar. I don't have one bad thing to say about it.
If you want to check one out, there is a little shop on Woodward in Royal Oak called Music Castle. They are a longtime G&L dealer, and usually have one in stock. You should try to play one. I think you'll really like it.
This is mine:

SciFlyer

Silver Supporting Member

The Doheny neck isn't what I would consider "really thin." Have you played one?

detroiter711

I have a Doheny. It has pretty much replaced the Jazzmaster I've had since the '90s as my go-to guitar. I don't have one bad thing to say about it.
If you want to check one out, there is a little shop on Woodward in Royal Oak called Music Castle. They are a longtime G&L dealer, and usually have one in stock. You should try to play one. I think you'll really like it.
This is mine:
Thanks for the info, I will have to check out The Music Castle, only about 25 minutes away.

mikemjr12

No. They list the specs as .820" at the nut. That's too skinny for me. I'd definitely check one out if I could find one locally.
Yeah I wouldn't say the Doheny neck is fat. Definitely more average - not skinny or fat. I find it comfortable, but if you're used to 'baseball bat' style necks like the PRS SE wide fat neck, you may find it a hair too thin. on the other hand, I had a few PRS SE wide thin profiled necks, and they were way too thin. My hands hurt for days after playing. The Doheny neck alleviates that while also retaining some of the playability of thin necks.

Trending Topics