G & L Guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by blueswah, Jan 28, 2008.

1. blueswah

blueswah Silver Supporting Member

Can anybody shed some light on G & L guitars?

The forum doesn't allow searches on words less than three letters so I'm having ahard time finding info in previous threads/ post, so my apologies if there is a redundancy here.

2. ddewees

ddewees Member

Place quote marks around the G&L and you should find plenty.

The short story is this company was started by Leo Fender some time after selling Fender to CBS.

I own a US made Legacy (Strat) and Koren made ASAT (Tele). Both are comparable to, if not better than similar Fender guitars. G&L's typically do not hold their resale value very well. Which means as an owner, keep them. But as a prospective buyer you may find some good deals.

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/ will shed some more light on G&L

Dave

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

What do you want to know? They're similar to the Fender models they look like. Quality and workmanship is generally very good. They have fat necks.

4. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

i had a ASAT special many yrs ago (p-90s) and it was a great guitar...good quality too

5. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Member

G&L's are the best used buy! I've had a Legacy and still own an ASAT. Both are fabulous to play, look at, and hear. I have a hard time picking up my tricked out 57 RI Goldtop Les Paul over the ASAT, because the ASAT is so killer. Leo sold Fender to CBS, but kept the neck jigs, so I've heard, and (G&L) still uses them.

They come up for sale in the emporium frequently. For some reason (name doesn't say Fender) their don't have a high resale value, but they are the equivalent of a custom shop Fender in build quality (hand built). So get a used one for under $800 or $900 with a gun oiled neck and you will be stoked for days!!!:AOK

6. jordanL

jordanL Member

They are made in relatively small numbers, and are usually made very well. Most(not all) models feature MFD pickups, whicha re unique to G&L. hardware is sometimes custom as well. I have owned 5 G&L's and still have 2. Necks are still finished by hand, so profiles can vary quite a bit. You can also go to guitarsbyleo.com and see the g&L discussion page.

7. Jeep_Guy

Jeep_Guy Member

Call Fat Sound. I was gonna get a used one, til I went in there and they priced out a new one. It actually ended up being the same price as a used one. Mine was a little under 1100, but I ordered a couple hundred dollars of extra options. A new one should start in the low 900s.

8. ARch

ARch Member

Most models do not actually feature MFDs.

Of the strats: Legacy's and Fullerton's share vintage-voiced strat pickups, and the S-500 has MFDs. The ASAT Special has two large MFD pickups. The other model ASATs including Bluesboys do not.

The guitars are now Plek'd as well.

9. Larry

Larry Member

The small ASAT Classic pickups actually are MFD's. The bridge pickup on the Bluesboy is an MFD.

10. sqadan

sqadan Member

G&L's are criminally underrated top quality instruments. Everyone I have ever picked up has been of utterly flawless quality. And they are very playable and sound great as well. The only reason they don't keep the resale value is because they don't say "Fender" on the headstock.

11. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

I'm confused. So even when looking for an ASAT classic or a bluesboy to get something "different" than the pups I usually associate with MFD's that are in the ASAT "special" (those big honking P90 looking things), I'm still looking at MFD's voiced the same but in a standard size package?
    I literally just sold my ASAT Tribute Special today (I liked the special MFD's but I felt they were a little too grainy/hi fi with distortion) and I was going to save up for a USA made ASAT classic or bluesboy. Even the single coils in my early 90's G&L Legacy have a very crisp, hi-fi sound but I dig it in that guitar. Not sure about the ASAT style though...

12. sqadan

sqadan Member

Not 100% sure but I know all of the pickups with the hollow pole pieces are MFDs. The smaller ones could be voiced differently - but I'm not sure.

13. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I love the ASAT Classic. However, in the ones that I've owned I've changed the pickups as well as the cap in the tone pot. The G&L has a very gradual taper that is extremely useful. However, it doesn't allow you to get those huge Roy Buchanan swells. Basically, I alter my ASAT classics to become a traditional tele.

Why not just get a Fender, you ask? Because I can find a used ASAT Classic on the used market with the quality of a Fender CS, but at less than half the price.

14. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Lots of good stuff. I'll just add a few thoughts that haven't been mentioned.

1. New G&L's deprecaite quickly. Like my old Subi WRX, you'll save a lot of money getting one like new vs brand new.
    2. The ASAT is confusing. There's the "classic" which is basically a G&L tele with hotter pickups that IMO have less bite than old tele pickups. Then there's the "special" which is an original G&L design. Both come solid or semi hollow with a variety of necks.
    3. Some G&L's (Commanche and ASAT Z-3) come with proprietary "Zcoil" pups that are noiseless. I think output is higher than a traditional strat but not more than those in the ASAT classic or S500 (another strat type).
    4. A couple of them Comanche and I think three pickup ASATS and S500 have a toggle switch that allows you to get two additional pickup combos (neck and bridge + all three).
    5. Fit and finish is very good. The tribute (MIK) line is an excellent value (as has been said).

15. Jeep_Guy

Jeep_Guy Member

That's what I kept hearing and thought until I priced mine out. The G&L, not the Subie

16. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

Does Fat Sound have a web presence with any good information? Thinking about going for a US made G&L ASAT classic or bluesboy... I almost always head for used, but if the price is right. :D

17. Jeep_Guy

Jeep_Guy Member

I didn't see anything about a standard price on the site. I just walked in and Mike had me price one out. I wasn't planning on a new one at all. It surprised me so much that I came back and ordered it the next day. Mine was $1020, I think, with a custom color pickguard, custom shaped neck, and upgraded Tolex case. Give them a call, they're great to deal with

18. XKnight

XKnight Member

G&L are the best bang for the buck in mass produced Tele and Strat style guitars. Did I mention they Plek the neck at the factory now.

19. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Glad you found one new at a good price. Here in NYC, there are very few dealers, so that's not as common. They're much more common on the West Coast.

PS - They look great in the trunk of a Subi. Go fast too! :roll