G&L guys, some help?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fredgarvin, Feb 22, 2009.

1. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

I recently played a used Legacy in a local shop. I play a strat as my main ax. I loved the feel of the Legacy. It had a rosewood neck that felt better than about anything I have played. My question is about the frets: I can't find any info, I'll just say they were low and wide. Really smooth. Kind of like some on a LP I played once, not Fender. I didn't buy that guitar because it is red and all my other guitars are red or orange. :dunno
    I'm looking to find one and if anyone knows what those frets are It would really help. Thanks.

2. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Medium jumbo if memory serves. I don't have one at the moment but have owned many G&Ls. Great guitars. But there is ALOT of neck variation, at least there was. You find one you like, you get it is pretty much the rule of thumb...

3. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

I think my '06 Legacy has medium jumbos. Nice beefy neck, killer guitar

4. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

Wish I could help. All I know is I've owned several G&L's and over the years the neck & frets have changed.

5. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

They're some of the widest "medium jumbos" I've ever played, if that is what you wanna call them. I'd say all 5 of mine are 6100 wire.

6. The bear

The bear Member

The frets on my ASAT deluxe semihollow are huge and wide.
    Great guitar.

7. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

+1 My Asats have 6100 wire as well!

8. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

My asat seems to have wide frets as well and finished off smooth .. plays great

9. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

In my opinion G&L's range quite a bit in quality. I've never played a horrible one, but the range from ho hum to really excellent. So, if you find one you love, don't bet a mail order of one with similar specs will be the same. That's not a knock, but a fact, and Gibson is the same way for a lot more money. I played a black VOS Les Paul that was SO good I couldn't believe it, but when I went back a week later it was gone. They had another one there and it sucked.

10. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have a tele deluxe with jumbo medium frets and they are much taller and rounded than the G&L frets were. My strat frets are thinner and my Dean has medium jumbo too. None of them have the smooth feel as the Legacy did. I'll check out about the 6100 wire. I've only bought one guitar unplayed and am leery. I have noticed that G&l has had several changes in their models over the last few years.

11. Targ

Targ Member

zzz

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  12. Redrider

Redrider Member

G&L offers two fret sizes - Medium Jumbo (6100) and vintage (6230).

They also offer 2 carves (med C & V) 2 fingerboard radisus (7 1/2 & 12) and 3 nut width sizes (1 5/8, 1 3/4, & 1 11/16) on what they call 5 different neck option #'s.

To the best of my knowledge these have been thte offerings for years.

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

This is correct and this year they have added a number of neck profiles.

14. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Hey, Fred, has that Legacy got a matching red headstock? With no case? If so, that sounds like one of those "Am Series Killer" specials that G + L did a while back. Not necessarily a second class guitar, but the dealer price/retail price/retained value would be less as I recall it.

I kinda agree with imonabuss. I really love to play them in person because some speak to me, others for whatever reason do not.

15. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

This one was a usa Legacy with a c neck, probably the 12 radius and I think a little wider than my strat. Thanks Redrider, it must have been the 6100. I probably should have bought it. I'll just keep looking, now that I know what I'm looking for. I've replaced the pups on all my guits but the Legacy sounding good as is.