G&L L-2000: Keep the preamp, or swap it?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by dangayle, Feb 8, 2012.

1. dangayle

dangayle Member

I have an '81 G&L L-2000 that was somebody's roadwarrior axe, and the pre-amp doesn't seem to work in it. I have a few options:

1) Fix it

2) Replace it with the preamp from a different L-2000

3) Replace it with something else entirely

From what I hear, one of the most often cited complaints about the L-2000 was the non-standard controls and pre-amp. If I were to put in something different, I could conceivably fix that. Also, from what I gather, the pre-amp on that was a treble boost only, which I'd rather have a bass boost.

Thoughts?

2. JKjr

JKjr Member

I was waiting for someone who actually KNEW anything to chime in, but I can offer an uninformed opinion. I played an older G&L in a store, not sure if it's your model or not, but it had the preamp. The build quality was great and it rang acoustically, but I could not coax a good sound out of it amplified. If it were me, I'd rip that stuff out in a skinny minute and throw your favorite passive setup back in. BTW I have a P type from the same time period,(L 100 maybe?) I'll never part with. Good stuff.

3. dangayle

dangayle Member

You're feelings are similar to mine, but I don't mind the current passive setup. I just want the active part to boom! (also, it's pretty noisy with hum, so maybe a good active will keep that down)

4. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

post your Q at the G&LDP and you'll get much more feedback... I haven't heard significant criticism of the L2K and think it's a pretty darn good bass, but then I usually don't use the preamp tones either.

jc

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i've done just that to many of these, with really good results.

the stock preamp just boosts everything, having another setting for a treble boost on top of that, and you just use the passive bass-cut and treble-cut to turn it back down.

replacing that weird setup with a normal two-band preamp like the EMG BTS control gives way more flexibility, as the bass and treble knobs become actual cut and boost EQ knobs with a center detent for "flat".

i like to keep the bypass switch to kick the preamp out for passive operation.