G&L Legacy buying advice

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jbbusybee, Mar 26, 2008.

1. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

Hi All

I'm looking for a good working guitar, I have a CS Strat, but am looking for something more contemporary, flatter neck, bridge humbucker easy playing. The G&L legacy looks great, but there are a few on Ebay at different prices. What are the model differences, and what's the right sort of price?

Thanks.

2. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

First thing to be aware of, is that the Tribute models (any Legacy costing less than $400 is most likely a Tribute) are made in the Far East. The US-made Legacy can be had used for around $650 upwards. Take those prices with a grain of salt, it's a while since I researched them.

Personally, I'd rather pay a little extra and buy from a reputable store rather than buying on the 'bay when it comes to guitars. Or look for used deals in the emporium here on TGP.

3. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

Up to the mid-90s, the Legacies had three-bolt necks, shallower necks, and Seymour Duncan SSL-1 flat pole pickups. G&L switched to a 4-bolt necks because of the bad publicity that Fender got with its 3-bolt necks. However, the G&L design is different and excellent. If you like smaller necks, these are among the best values for an American made guitar. Also, I've tried a bunch of pickups, and the stock Seymours are the best.

After the mid 90s, they switched to a G&L Alnico pickup, which I don't care for that much. Also, the necks sizes vary greatly. That will be the wild card in purchasing on-line.

As for bodies, most of them are alder. The translucent finishes have ash and I have noticed a pretty big weight differential with ash. The alder guitars seem pretty consistent.

Good luck!

4. anibas

anibas Member

You might want to look at the Legacy Special.It has a nice flat fingerboard,jumbo frets,and 3 single coil sized humbuckers.The middle and neck pickups sound a lot like vintage single coils,and the bridge pickup is voiced somewhat like an SD Hot Rails pickup,only with less output.They come with Schaller locking tuners,a trem system that works,and play&look great.A good price for one of these would probably be $600 to $750 used.If you want to see what a G&L can do in the right hands,look for online video of a guy named Jack Pearson,who was in the Allman Brothers Band for a few years in the late 90's.This guy is phenomenal,and gets killer tones using a G&L loaded with SD Hot Rails. Good luck with the search,jb.

5. Presc

Presc Member

Just be aware that with the USA models, up until the introduction of the Fullerton Standard Series, all guitars are made to order. The Fullertons have 3-pc bodies instead of two piece and only come in a few finish options. Depending on spec, the regular Legacies can have alder or ash bodies (you might see some mahoganys too) and a large variety of finishes. The other thing to note is that there are 4 different necks with different fretboard radii and nut widths. As far as the neck shapes, I think until recently they were all done by hand (maybe still are?) so there is some variation guitar to guitar. The necks are either a satin finish or a glossy tinted finish. Depending on how optioned up the guitars are, you'll see some variation in prices. If you want a flatter neck make sure you check before buying because some of them may have a 7.5" radius instead of the 12".

6. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

This is the spec I have found $999, is this good?

G&L USA Alnico V Single Coils
    G&L Bridge Humbucker in Black
    Hard Rock Maple neck
    Satin neck finish for lightning fast playability
    Chrome Hardware
    Butterscotch Blonde finish over Swamp Ash body
    12:1 sealed tuners
    12" Radius neck
    White Pickguard
    Dot Inlays
    1 5/8" Nut Width
    5-way Switching w/PTB
    1 Volume, 2 Tone Knob
    Dual Fulcrum Vibrato
    G&L Hardshell Case Included

7. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

Presc is on the money. I have a Fullertone Statndard in CAR with matching headstock and it is a full on amazing strat type guitar. I stumbled upon it for the closeout price of $549.00 brand new, so I was happy. Great deals are out there.

Jbbusybee, that sounds like a good price for those features.

8. Grap

Grap Member

Ah. Looks like the value of my stash of G&L's might be going up at last ;)

I still count the '96 Fullerton I picked up new in '98 for US$500 as my biggest steal ever.

Anyhow, to clear up a coupleof things...

The Legacy series was introduced in '91 and for the first couple of years they had Seymour Duncan pickups. After '93 or so they switched to the G&L CLF Alnico pickups that they have now.

In '97 the switched to their present 4 bolt neck join and adopted a their current "very Fender" body shape. Pre-'97 three bolters have a smaller radius curve on the body edge that makes them look a bit less copy-like.

G&L offers various "neck types" that determine the fingerboard radius, nut width and fret wire dimensions. Default on a Legacy is a 12" fingerboard radius and medium jumbo frets.

G&L adopted CNC neck construction a couple of years back (The bought a Plek machine about the same time). Before that the necks were hand shaped and could vary widely. I have a '96 ASAT and a '96 Legacy that have the same neck type on them, but the ASAT's neck is almost a 1/4" thicker front to back at the nut.

If you are "neck carve sensitive" don't buy a pre-2005(?) G&L without playing it first!

If you want something a little different, try out a Legacy Special as suggested previously, and I'll add a the S-500 to the list.

9. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I have a '93 Legacy with the transluscent blue finish. I replaced the stock pickups with Bardens and I haven't looked back. It also has the best neck I've ever played in a Strat-style guitar by a mile. Mine is rosewood. I've had that guitar since '99 and I paid $550 for it then. You can probably find one like that now for about $650. The stock pickups are actually pretty good. Great investment and there are tons of deals on them all the time. Be even slightly patient and and you'll be guaranteed to find a steal.

10. Presc

Presc Member

I ordered mine in early '05 and (at least from what the shop told me) they were still doing everything without the CNC. I remember the CNC announcement came out not long after I got mine. So I think about mid-05 is when they were beginning the switch over to the CNC. Doesn't really make a difference to me, I've played a bunch since then and they're just as good.

I assume that is a new guitar you are referring to at $999? That's basically the basic config except for the swamp ash. I can't remember what that commands, Buffalo Bros has a list of the option prices somewhere on their site. I'm not sure what they're starting at these days but that's a pretty good price for a new one.

11. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

Thanks Guys.

I've ordered it. I'm in the UK and you have to remember that a Tribute over here costs between $8-900. If I by from the US direct you have to add shipping to the UK (usually $100-$150)and duty of %20, and the whole thing becomes very expensive. This guitar was $999, plus the dealer did a deal for shipping for $30. So for a UK resident I am doing well! Plus it is an authorised dealer. I'll post pictures when it comes.

12. Grap

Grap Member

Ah yes. UK guitar prices. You'd think the exchange rate was 1:1 :rolleyes: