G&L Legacy Lovers Unite...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SgtThump, Nov 15, 2005.

1. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I've been through alot of guitars, some very high end and some budget stuff, and for some reason, these G&L Legacy's really do something for me.

I think it's a combination of the 12" fretboard radius, neck profile, huge frets, and beefy bridge, but I'm not 100% sure. They sound killer to me and play just as good or better than any other guitar I've owned.

I have two '90s 3-bolt models and am about to get a third in the mail this week. I haven't played the newer 4-bolt models, so I can't compare, but I love these guitars!

I'm interested in everything from bluesy/classic rock to '80s hairband stuff and these guitars can cover all of that and more! :)

Show your G&L love...

[​IMG]

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Yup, my number one guitar is a four-bolt Legacy - has quite a wide neck. While I like the stock pickups, I'm using DiMarzio Virtual Vintage designs. G&L make some great guitars. No pic of just the guitar, but from a March gig:
    [​IMG]

3. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I had a G&L Legacy Standard for 4 years. It was one of the best guitars I've ever owned. For three of those four years, it was my main guitar. I loved that guitar but ended up having to let it go because I was really strapped at the time. Man do I miss it.

At some point I'll probably get another one.

Mine was gold with a perloid pick guard. I bought it new in 1996 for $550!!!! (1/2 of suggested retail)

Deals like that are unheard of now.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I've got a 2000 4-bolt, Redburst, pearl white pickguard. HEAVY ash body, rosewood fretboard. Normally I would not have chosen a rosewood board, nor a guitar this heavy, but 10 seconds of playing this thing had me aching to own it. It just sounds incredible. I traded in a 1-month-old alder Legacy for it. Sometimes (often) I wish I had them both. That alder one had such sweet tone. :(

I changed the pickups for Fralin Vintage Hots, 2.5% overwind and bass plate under the bridge PU... but every now and then I think about swapping them back for the stock pickups.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I have a Legacy Special. By far the best Strat style guitar I've ever owned, and I've had quite a few. It's a keeper.

6. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I bought that first Legacy a few months back (the sunburst model pictured above). I didn't plan to really like it, believe it or not. But I fell in love with it almost instantly. It's a Fender Strat, but with the features I like (big frets, nice bridge, etc...). I could never really get into Fenders.

But anyway, I loved it right away and decided I needed another one. That's when I got the black one (from Joe Lavely here on the forum). Now I'm probably going a little overboard, but I have a third Legacy on the way to me now. It has a maple fretboard. I wish it was rosewood, as I kinda prefer those boards sometimes, but we'll see how good it sounds.

I plan to slap a single coil sized 'bucker in the next Legacy, just for a different taste. :)

Chris

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Try a Legacy Special. Comes with 3 SC sized humbuckers. Sounds just ike a regular Strat, but with substantially more crunch when you dime it. Less noise too.

8. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I already have a Legacy on the way (not a Special), but I do plan to put a single sized 'bucker in there. :)

9. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

hello again! nice to see the legacy is getting some action. did ya know Dan (No Code 5) is the singer in my band? lol small world huh? :)

10. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Hey!!! Isn't "No Code 5" in St Louis and you're in Texas? How does that work? LOL!!!

Chris

11. sixty-four

sixty-four Member

Here's a close up of my Comanche. My first G&L and my favorite guitar.

[​IMG]

12. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

he just moved to Houston not too long ago.

13. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Very cool! And you guys already hooked up? Awesome.

Chris

14. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

btw, how did you get banned from Harmony Central forum? theres alot of f**kheads over there that post sick sh*t and get banned and unbanned. but youre cool man, what happened?

15. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Eh, it's a long story. The short of it is that they were bought out by Musicians Friend/Guitar Center, brought a bunch of new mods in that started showing their authority in PM's, deleting posts that weren't really offensive, locked threads so nobody else could respond, took away the ability to delete your own thread because that should be a "mod function", etc...

I got so fed up with it that I told Lehman (admin) to just deactivate my account. Screw those guys. :)

Yes, I'm a little bitter over nothing. ha ha

Chris

16. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

nah man, i understand. i hate that place too. like i said lots of ****heads on HC :rolleyes:

were family on TGP, we dont talk sh*t to each other like everyone does on HC.

17. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I hear ya... I created "SergeantThump" account on HC the other day, simply to post SPAM. :) That place is good for that.

18. Grap

Grap Member

I'm a bit of a recovering G&L addict :) I have four of the Legacy style guitars, a '96 alder/rosewood Legacy, a '96 ash/maple Fullerton, a '98 ash/rosewood Legacy Special, and a '00 ash/maple S-500. I picked them all up quite cheaply.

The favourite play-wise is the Legacy, the favourite sound-wise is the S-500, the most versatile is the Legacy Special:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

Hey Thump, I picked up a nice gold s-500 not too long ago. Really great guitar. Let me know which sc size bucker you put in the bridge and how it works out. I have the ceramic pickups in the s-500 which are a bit fatter sounding than the alnicos but still give me some nice clean tones and some nice beafy overdrive.

20. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Hey man! How's it going? I should tell you that a few of us are getting together this Saturday in Waterloo, Illinois, for the SLAB (St. Louis Beer and Amp Fest). :)

It's usually juse 3-4 of us with a bunch of beer and amps cranked up full blast all day talking about gear. You're MORE than welcome to come out if you have a chance.

Email me at hardrockguitar@gmail.com if you're interested.

Chris