G&L Legacy S/N 007 (1980)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Retreads, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Retreads

Retreads Member

Hey all,

Saw this pop up on my local Rochester, NY Craigslist today and thought I would share / ask a question. I don't plan on buying the guitar - feel free to inquire if you're interested. PM me if you want the seller's listed phone #, or look up the ad for yourself...I just feel strangely uncomfortable publically posting some guy's phone #.

My questions are basic: if this instrument is as described, what would be a fair price? Does this sound like a sane/real chain of events?

p.s. - pictures were described but not posted so I can't repost them here.

---C/L Ad---
    Hi, This guitar was made by Leo Fender and George ??(G&L) around February of 1979. I was the first official owner, I bought it in 1981 through a friend who was a sales representative of G&L Musical Instrument Company. He used it as a demo from store to store when he was setting up new accounts and advertised it as "Leo's Fender's guitar". I don't know if this is completely true but that's what they did. I bought it in March of 81. This particular one was among the first of this model when the company opened their doors. Fender signed and numbered the joint in the back where the neck attaches to the body. It says "Leo Fender SN.007". The guitar came with a pick cover that was made of cheap plastic since G&L did not have all of their parts but still wanted to get exposure for their guitars. I was told to leave this cover on and not replace it with the new one. I never really learned to play guitar and it disappeared into a closet until 2008 when I moved to Rochester. My son used it for a years worth of guitar lessons and that's it. It doesn't look brand new but I think its still in very good working order with a case and detachable cord. If you look closely in picture #3(bottom), you will see there is a little bit of oxidation/rust to the chrome part that attaches the strings to the body. I'm told it is from hand sweat. I looked at replacing it but the dealer said not to because it doesn't hurt anything. That is the only thing I can see wrong with it. The body is swamp ash and the neck rock maple. The invoice lists the color as "butterscotch blonde" but the original notes in the case said "honey blonde". Last year I thought I might sell this after I learned the signature and number may add to its value so I removed the neck to look at them. When I did, I didn't get one of the springs back on in the back so one end of a spring is not attached but its an easy thing to do. I recall that there was something that was particularly special or unique about this guitar but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. The friend who arranged the sale is since deceased and the paperwork doesn't specify anything else. If you know these things, you can look at it and decide for yourself. I have the original invoice from G&L Musical Instrument Company and a note from Fender. Also, the invoice shows the retail price as $2,149.99 but I paid $890.88. I don't really have a feel for what this is worth today so if you know guitars and are interested in this, perhaps we can talk it over and figure something out. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you very much for looking.
    --------

2. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

First off, it's not a "Legacy." Those came out much later -- like in the '90s I believe. With a pickguard as described, I suppose it might be an early s-500 or something. If it's some really early G&L prototype with Leo's signature, it's probably worth something to collectors.

3. Retreads

Retreads Member

Thanks, Scooter! I realized there were some errors in the title after I hit submit, and now I can't change it. Is my novice status showing through yet?

4. scolfax

scolfax Member

$900 for a '79 G&L in good condition. As a player it feels on the high side, but you'd really have to play it to see if it spoke to you.

As a collectible piece you'd need to look in a vintage price guide or something.