• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

G & L Legacy Tribute Series?

RocknPop

Silver Supporting Member
Does someone here own one? How do they compare to the Fender American strat? Is it worth saving the few hundred bucks?

Grandturk

They're surprisingly decent guitars... But With the price of used G&L's so low, it's hard to justify buying the Tribute.

thrashmetl

They're surprisingly decent guitars... But With the price of used G&L's so low, it's hard to justify buying the Tribute.
Yeah, I was going to say that they're great and to pick one up, but he's right. You're better off just spending the extra coin and picking up a used American G&L. Very well worth the money, I would absolutely pick up a used American G&L over an American Fender standard.

ARch

G&L Tribute >> Fender USA.
G&L USA >> Fender Custom Shop.

Yes, it's absolutely worth it. There are great Fenders out there, but % to the whole, there are more great G&Ls. The only reason you don't buy one is because you give a crap about the name (which ironically happens to be Leo Fender for G&L...).

If your dead set on new and putting every little wear mark in it your self, and your budget it tight. Buy the tribute. If you don't mind lightly worn used, hold out for a good deal on a USA built. In my opinion you can't go wrong either way, the tributes are exceptional for the money.

RocknPop

Silver Supporting Member
If your dead set on new and putting every little wear mark in it your self, and your budget it tight. Buy the tribute. If you don't mind lightly worn used, hold out for a good deal on a USA built. In my opinion you can't go wrong either way, the tributes are exceptional for the money.
Thanks, I will mainly use it for recording some ideas. My go-to guitar is my Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro with split coils, but this summer I want to get something lighter and different for the summer. I'll probably go direct to the max using my apogee one and the garage band amp simulator.

So, with that logic, and hearing that the pickups are the same as the American Strat, it seems like a good idea.

Only concern is the neck. I hear it is significantly thicker than the Strat?

stormin1155

I have one, and it's my least favorite strat. Nothing wrong with it... it's a good guitar, but I just haven't bonded with it. I like my MIM over it.

If the neck is thicker it's minor. I do notice on a lot of strats I play that my hand tends to fatigue quicker, that could be why, and maybe the reason I've taken so much to the G&L.

mikee1

yeah i had one too and sold it for a rather nice MIM that now has a SP43 in the bridge and a bob urban in the neck that i absolutly love

tonydetiger

I had a Tribute ASAT Special. Very nice guitar. THey use the same pickups and bridge as the USA models. I liked mine, but not enough to keep it. I needed a forearm contour. That's the only reason I sold it though.

mikee1

If your looking for a tele style i had a tribute asat special semi hollow that was really nice. That one i wish i still had. With the mdf's it didnt really sound like a tele but those pickups are really, really nice and what are used in usa's. They seem to be hard to find. I guess 'cause people hold on to 'em cause they are so sweet, but if you can find one go for it. I dont feel like the g&l's are very traditional other than the body shape but some models are descent. Still prob wouldnt trade the asat for my MIM strat though.

I don't have a legacy but I do have two tributes.I have an S-500 and a thinline assat bluesboy. I also own and have owned american Fender strats. The korean made Tributes , IMHO, are just as good as the standard american Fender strats, not voiced quite the same, which I like because it helps give you your own voice instead of sounding like 1,000,000,000 other guitar players. Both of my Tributes are keepers. Great playability, sound , asthetics, etc. If you are used to playing a gibson the G&l will probably work for your neck fretting hand better than a Fender American as their necks are closer to what you are used to. I would advise you to try some out and see what you like .

Last edited:

Vomact

I just acquired an ASAT special and I think it has replaced Lee, my Frankenstein MIM,
in my affections.The MFP PUPS are awesome, loud, but awesome. They are very high fi and are bright, however there is no tone you can't eek out of them. The have that dirty P-90 sound when distorted but clean up very well. They have that 'sound', 'tone' call it what you will that I have been looking for for a long time. I have played it through a Blues Junior with good tubes and a V30 as well as a Twin and a Bad Cat Black Cat and it was all good. They have excellent build quality and I have fallen in love with the neck on mine.

Trending Topics