G&L Legacy vs. Eric Johnson Strat

re-animator

am I the first person to think of this comparison??? I've played the EJ strat on several occasions and I always loved it... but the $1750 or so is very steep for me being a full time student. Anyway, the G&L legacy has very similar specs (except I think its swamp ash body).... 12" radius, upgraded electronics, lightweight body, and master fretwork. Loved the EJ strat, but I've heard nothing but GREAT things about G&L Can anybody give me a good reason NOT to get a g&l legacy other than that I really need a humbucker guitar??

keep in mind i'm not a vintage snob :BEER

Bajan

Gold Supporting Member
G&Ls are very nice. I used to have a swamp ash Legacy hardtail w/Fralins. It was a great guitar and the build quality was top notch. I now have an EJ Strat and it is my #1. For me, I prefer the tone and the feel of the EJ, I find it the perfect Strat for my taste. Both guitars were extremely resonant but the EJ has better lows and mids and more 'vibe' for lack of a better term. But this is comparing 2 individual guitars (one ash/rosewood, one alder/maple) and so is not really all that fair a comarison.

Shane

Jeep_Guy

The Legacy comes with either Alder or Swamp Ash body, usually Alder. Call Fat Sound if you decide to get one. A basic, no option one will start at a bit above 900.

PlexiFuzz

I know karate. Voodoo, too.
And if you go for the G&L, definitely go for a used one. G&L, like Music Man, Hamer and a few other brands, is one that will get you hosed on resale. Good for you as a used buyer, though ...

re-animator

that's what i've heard about GLs.... it doesn't say fender on a headstock so people undervalue it. so it seems like its as i thought... they are comparable, but different. The hard part is deciding between a GL and a Burny Les Paul custom. Since I play a tele into a super reverb and play a lot of 60s blues/rock and classic rock the LP seems like an obvious choice... but the strat is so much more GASy.

Jeep_Guy

And if you go for the G&L, definitely go for a used one. G&L, like Music Man, Hamer and a few other brands, is one that will get you hosed on resale. Good for you as a used buyer, though ...

That's what I thought, till I started looking around. Fat Sound sells them for a tick over $900. Most used G&Ls I found were $800 or more. I needed to get mine new, I've never seen another v-neck Legacy.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom