G&L Legacy vs. modded Squier Strat - come test your ears!

Presc

Thought this might be interesting on its own as people seem to do these from time to time. I've also posted this at Harmony Central. I'm very curious to see if the two forums come to different conclusions. :munch

Please don't read other posts or look at the poll before you vote. It is a fact that the opinions of others will affect your opinions.

I did a separate clip with each guitar, each clip having 3 parts - 1) a segment of SRV's Lenny 2) a Chili Peppers lick with a solo line at the end, and 3) some chord strumming. I suggest you open both clips at the same time in separate windows and A/B each part. Here are the links:

Guitar #1

Guitar #2

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=702186&songID=7223347
In a separate post below, I will post some thoughts on the guitars. I will not reveal which is which until later, but the post might contain some clues so if you want to be totally unbiased guess first.

The contestants are a 2005 USA-made G&L Legacy, and a modded 2000ish Squier Affinity Strat. The G&L is stock - it has a 2-piece alder body, maple neck and fingerboard, and 3 handwound Alnico V single coil pickups. The tremolo is resting on the body and blocked, the nut is plastic. The Squier has 3 Fender Tex-Mex single coil pickups, and has been rewired and upgraded to full-size Alpha pots and a Switchcraft switch and jack. It has a multi-piece mystery body, a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard, and a plastic nut. Tremolo is set to rest on the body but isn't blocked. Both guitars have fresh (<3 days old) D'Addario XL 10-46 strings.

The recording setup is followed: guitars straight into a Fender Deluxe Reverb RI amp via a Fulltone Gold Standard cable. Vibrato channel, input #2, volume slightly above 2, treble 4.5, bass 7, reverb 3. Mic'ed with a MXL large-diaphragm condensor mic into a Focusrite Saffire Firewire interface recorded dry into Logic Pro. MP3s bounced at 128kpbs.

Enjoy!

rhinocaster

Silver Supporting Member
Clip 1 sounds like the Legacy to me. Clear and crisp.

Clip 2 sounds has a more diffused sound and a rounder note. I believe it's the Squire.

I like the sound of both, but I'm not in love with either one.

zsno

I'm going to go against the crowd and say I think #1 is the Squire and #2 is the G&L.

I'll say Squier is #1 and the Legacy is #2.

Legacy(#2) sounds fuller to me and more 3-D which is generally how I hear the Legacy vs a Strat; but the Legacy isn't quite as distinct as a strat

frisco kid

Silver Supporting Member
Well # 1 sounded better to my ears...so the shock value has to be that #1 is the cheapo Squier and it sounds so much better than the US made G&L...in the end, BFD....i still won't buy a Squier.

janosfia

Well # 1 sounded better to my ears...so the shock value has to be that #1 is the cheapo Squier and it sounds so much better than the US made G&L
I agree. Of course, the Squier is modified. This would never work with a stock Squier Affinity.

r9player

Gold Supporting Member
don't know which is which but I like the 1st clip better.
The second guitar sounded a tat thinner then the first one.
Also 'range wise' it sounded to me that the 1st guitar was a little more bassy on the spectrum and also fuller.
This may sound weird but it almost sounded like the second guitar had 'too much' string tension not sure if I'm saying it right. I think a different set of strings might make an impact on that guitar, although ehm you'd have to try it of course to find out, I'd probably go 11s just for kicks to see if it makes a difference.

Presc

this sank like a stone when I first posted it...accidentally forgot to put a poll with it too...

Anyway, I'll come back with the answer in a bit

There's no trick. One is one guitar, one is the other. Don't think too much about it - just pick the one you like more.

Presc

Well here's your answer

#1 is the G&L, #2 is the Squier. For me, the G&L is more much balanced and articulate across the strings. The pickups in the Squier are overwound Tex-Mex pickups so that comes across as hotter and thicker. But it's a brasher, less refined guitar, and the same qualities come across acoustically. It also plays much better which you can definitely hear in the clips. The Squier would need some real pro work (more than I can do at least!) to get it playing well.

Many of you guys "got it right" (or at least liked #1 better) but picked wrong trying to anticipate a trick. There wasn't one ;)

Trending Topics