1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

G & L Legacy with Fender pick ups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ribsspare, May 16, 2011.

1. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Member

Newbie style question here:

I am thinking of buying a USA made G & L Legacy guitar which is similar to a Strat. I am interested in installing the 1969 Fender pick ups and the Seymour Duncan SS L5 pick up in the bridge. Would that be OK to do that? Is that a normal procedure pick up soldering operation?

2. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

Installing pickups in a G&L is the same as installing them in any other guitar.

3. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Member

4. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

The Dual Fulcrum tremolo, and the neck contruction, are sufficiently different than on the FMIC product, that you may be a little dumbstruck by how pickup types you "think" you know, end up sounding pretty different.

Part of the reason I say that is, I have a spare set of Legacy pickups I bought straight from G + L in California, and they sound pretty different in my Strat Partscaster, than does most any Legacy I have heard. You might want to keep the guitar stock. I'm a very aggressive modder and yet I cannot bring myself to change the electrics on any of my 5 G + L USA guitars. They're too nice to bugger up, imo.

5. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I have an early '90s G&L that came stock at the time with Seymour Duncon flatpoles. I tried a bunch of different PUs and came back to those. They take different PUs just fine.