G&L Neck shapes... why the big mystery?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fishin'Musician, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Member

G&L is completely ambiguous on their website as to neck profiles....

Does anyone know what neck SHAPE #1 is?

How about #3?

I just ended up with an ASAT Classic with a 12" radius, but it's like a freakin' baseball bat! It has a 1-5/8" nut width, so according to the chart below, it could only be a #1?

But I've heard #1 is the thinnest.....

Which one is the one I have?,
    ...and which one is the thinnest?

I also have an ASAT classic with a 7.5" radius and a pretty standard thinner neck shape, so it's gotta be the #2, right?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Guitar Necks[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]#1 = [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12" Radius, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 5/8" nut width[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]#1V = [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]V-shaped rear, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12" radius, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 5/8" nut width [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]#2 = [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7 1/2" radius, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 5/8" nut width[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]#3 = [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12" radius, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 3/4" nut width[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]#4* [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12" radius, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 11/16" nut width[/FONT]​

2. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

i dont think you have any choice over neck thickness. only width contour and radius.

thickness seems to be luck of the draw (try them all out) as they are hand done.

3. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I don't know the answer to your question. I can say that most of the ones I've seen have been fairly thick. But I'll tell you one thing. It's damn hard to find a G&L with a wider than 1 5/8 nut. I can't tell you how many times I've looked and every single time it's the 1 5/8, which is a deal killer for me. It always seemed odd because modern Fender and Gibson are most commonly 1 11/16 (or 1.650, which is a 32nd narrower than 1 11/16 - close enough). I realize a new one can be ordered with a wider neck, but I've only been interested in used until I decide whether I'm going to love them enough to keep, since they don't seem to do all that well on resale.

4. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Member

Really? Can I get some confirmation of this someone?

5. Redrider

Redrider Member

The newer ones have the neck done on a CNC, the older ones (Pre 2005 I think) were completely shaped by hand and were luck of the draw.

6. Presc

Presc Member

I ordered my Legacy in early 05 before the switch to CNC was announced...the guys at the shop told me the different neck numbers only refer to nut width and radius; the actual shapes of the back were done by hand and varied. I knew they switched to CNC for the bodies but I wasn't sure if they were still doing some aspects of production (like shaping the necks) by hand or everything is full on CNC.

I have the #1 neck on mine and for the record it is a fairly chunky round neck.

7. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

The G&L's I've owned and played, though all 1-5/8" and either 12" or 7-1/4" radius, had varied neck shapes; some super chunky and some quite thin. My son's ash ASAT is the thinnest I've encountered. I custom ordered a Legacy hard-tail and was able to specify a medium shaped neck, and was not at all disappointed.

8. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

You`re lucky to have a large neck, I can`t seem to find them big enough for me . Especially in the first 5 fret area. I`m ending up having one custom made for me, because I couldn`t get them to build a Nocaster large shape neck for me. I sure love my Asat`s other than that.

9. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus Senior Member

is anyone really THAT picky, to where the info that's listed on their site isn't specific enough? I mean, c'mon...do you really need your neck size to be so exacting? :messedup

10. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Supporting Member

I've had about 5 Legacy's with various neck thicknesses, my ASAT classic I picked up used at my local music store. Med. thick neck. $500! What a killer deal, other than a little ding on the back of the neck it's dead mint.

I love my ASAT. I've bought and sold a few LP's & Strats since I've had it, but this baby is a keeper.

I believe they do the necks CNC now as well. I was in touch with a builder there whom I've got to know and he was saying how he was excited about having more consistency in the neck shapes.

- D

11. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Member

That picky?
    Are you new here? :)

Actually a little bit of difference in neck sizes can make a huge difference in the playability of a given guitar depending upon the players needs....and in this case my first G&L has a fairly thin neck, the next one I got has the hugest neck I've ever tried to play, and I can't play it, my hand cramps up.

I am of the opine that a manufacturer such as G&L should specify what their neck shapes and thicknesses are, everyone else does!

12. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Yes, absolutely. I now need big/fat necks (1" thick) to avoid hand cramps. I could play a thinner neck for maybe 20-30 minutes tops, but why in the world would I want to own a guitar that makes my hand hurt?

I've always been particular about neck thickness since buying my first new guitar (and I needed it thin back then....35 years ago). IME and reading lots of threads, moving to fatter necks seems to be more of an issue as you get older.

Some of us big/fat neck fans are even crazy enough to believe that it affects tone positively.
    ;) :D

As an example of how much it makes a difference to many guitar players, check the 8 different neck profiles/contours/thicknesses that Warmoth offers:
    http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=back_profiles

13. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

1 5/8" is a 32nd narrower than 1.650" and is close enough also? :jo

14. tantramar

tantramar Member

Good thread. I had no idea there was such inconsistency in G&L necks. I have an ASAT special with the 12" radius v neck. It is thick but perfect for my style of playing. I, too, have gone from thin to thick with the passing years. Guess I better hang on to it.