G&L or Fender?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by silencer eleven, Jun 26, 2005.

1. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

I'm looking to buy either a strat or tele, still a little confused on that. I play a hiwatt dr504, and I'm wonder which one has better quality and sound. Looking to spend at the most 1k. So fender or G&L? or any other companies that are around the same price range.

thanks

evan

2. Grap

Grap Member

I'd say go for a used G&L at that price point. Try a few out though and see if you take to the MFD pickups. If you don't like 'em then your G&L single-coil options narrow to the Legacy and Fullerton.

If you're lucky you might even be able to pick up an ASAT and a Legacy used for just over $US 1K...

3. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

What type of guitar do you play now, and are you looking for something similar, or different? I would look closely at the necks, before you decide. Most of the American Fenders I looked at, had a 12" radius. G&L's usually have a 71/2" radius (like an old Fender). I would base my choice on the type of neck that I like.

The quality of the G&L is better. G&L's cost a little more new, but sell for less used. The sound is more traditional on a Fender. G&L's are a little hotter, but are very controlable.

I went looking for a Fender Tele, and came home with a G&L ASAT. I've owned three Strats and a G&L Shyhawk, in the past. I never thought that I would find a guitar that I like as much as my PRS SAS, but the ASAT may become my main guitar.

4. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

G&L or Fender....neither one is "better" as it's a matter of personal taste. The tone & feel are different, however, to me Fenders always sounded more Fendery than other manufacturers if you seek the classic sound. Kick a few tires and buy the one that talks to you.

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Good replies so far...
    I'm a G&L player, but you do need to play 'em as they are ostensibly custom-made and neck profiles vary 'cause they are hand-shaped.
    A Fender may very well get ya the classic tones quicker, but I find the G&Ls more consistent for tuning stabilty, etc.
    YMMV...

6. Badger71

Badger71 Member

I have a Legacy Special....it replaced an Ernie Ball Axis. I also have one of the limited ASAT all mahogany with a bucker in the bridge/ single in the neck....it replaced a PRS CU24. G&L.....:AOK

7. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

I have owned and played many fine G&Ls (Legacy, ASAT).

On Friday, I purchased a Fender Am Vintage 57 Strat, which may be the best guitar I have ever played.

PLay what you like.

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Since you asked, my feeling is G&L has better build quality as a rule, but if a Strat knocks you out, get it.

IMO the Legacy sounds identical to a classic Strat tone. In a blindfold test I wouldn't be able to tell you which was which.

9. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

Try a bunch of each.I would go for a G&L myself,but you can find great guitars from either company.A lot of G&L's have big frets.I wish every guitar ever made had jumbos.G&L's are a little hotter sounding.That is a plus for me also.

10. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

thanks everybody very much. I play a fender american deluxe strat right now with fralin vintage hots. And while I love how everything plays. and the pickups are nice. The actual guitar just doesn't sound that great. What does everybody think abou the 52' reissue tele? i've heard they can be very nice. I checked out some asat's on ebay and wow....do those babies look nice. its very appealing how they even sell for less on ebay. I want a guitar that will sound very good through my rig. and give me lots of diff. tones. I'm not a shredder, its not my thing, slow (or kinda medium haha) and sweet is what i like. I can't really do the whole sweet part, but I got the slow thing down. I want an axe that will yield some great chord tone, and just delicious solo tone.

you know?

evan

11. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Used '57 RI
    Used '62 RI {Dave Orban has a steal of a deal in the emporium - comes with two necks & upgraded pickups}
    Used Clapton Sig
    Used SRV Sig
    Used Buddy Guy Sig
    NEW New Fender 50th Anniversary American Strat
    Used '52 RI
    Used '62 RI Tele

Any G&L will do it but I'd prefer the Fender - easier to modify and retrofit. Plus the above guitars all are killer!

12. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Also! Check out this one in the emporium
    - Melancon Pro Artist, sn# 515.

For sale by john b

I don't know this seller but Melancons are awesome!

13. aquadog

aquadog Member

If you're going for a tele, get an Asat. Honestly, I've played a lot of these and a lot of fenders, and I've still never touched a fender that beat an asat (in a somewhat similar price range). The pickups, feel, quality, and craftsmanship are amazing. You also have the option of different sized necks and frets, and can a get a semi hollow asat (which are unbelievable as well). Although I've found them to be quite consistent, it never does hurt to try them out and see which guitar fits you best.

14. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Another thing to keep in mind, especially with Fender Strats, is that you have to play dozens (or more) to find the gems....but they are out there. G&L's are probably more consistant but, to my ears, they tend to have more of a modern sound....which could be good or bad depending on your taste.

As far as Tele's go, the best one I played was the Fender '51 Nocaster reissue....it rang like a grand piano. However, the less expensive production Fender Muddy Waters Tele seems to always get great bang for the buck reviews.

Again, there's no right or wrong....whatever works for you. Kick some tires.

15. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

The more and more I hear about it, people seem to be raving about the nocaster relic's I think you can pick em up for for about 1500.00 on ebay. I'm going down to La to play all the fender's and g&l's I can get my hands on. Hopefully I can find a nocaster to play. I'm thinking it might be worth saving a little extra money for the nocaster. who knows? we will find out. Wow i'm becoming aroused thinking of the vintage room and guitar center hollywood. black market music, tru tone, the amp shop, tone merchant. i could cry.

evan

16. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

You know the only thing that worries me, is how about good solid rock tone through a nocaster or vintage sounding fender? Would it sound great? or would a more modern sounding g&l fit the bill a bit better? Something about vintage fender's though. I wanna play it through my rig and see how it sounds for good rock.

evan

17. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Good question... no one's ever tried it. You might be the first!

18. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

19. aquadog

aquadog Member

I think it was.

Truetone is definately the place to go if you're going to be comparing the two. Athough to be honest, I've never been to tone merchants.
    I hate guitar center hollywood.

20. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

Ya that whole sarcasm thing was rude. Yes trutone is fantastic i'm pretty excited about that. Do they have nocaster's?

evan