G&L owners, past and present

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Redrider, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Redrider

Redrider Member

I have a question for you. G&L offer 4 diferent neck configurations with the only descriptions being one with a 7.5 fretboard radius and one with a 12 inch radius V neck. The other two only say they are 12" radius.

What are the differences in the various different necks? How do they feel? I play a Heritage 157 and a couple of Martin acoustics. I am thinking about buying an ASAT classic or Bluesboy.

There is no G&L dealer anywhere near where I live so I cannot test drive the different configurations. Any info regarding these neck shapes and contours would be appreciated.

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Nut width is the other difference.

#1 and #2 necks are 1 5/8" wide at the nut, but have different radii.

The #3 neck has a 1 3/4" nut width and a 12" radius.

The #4 neck has a 1 11/16" nut width and a 12" radius.

Most G&L guitars in shops will have either the #1 or #2 neck. ASATs tend to have the 7.5" radius, strat styles will usually have the 12" radius, though some dealers will vary what they order.

The #4 neck would be the closest to your Heritage, at least in terms of nut width. The actual profile of the neck can vary quite a bit, as they are shaped by hand. The best advice is to try before you buy or purchase from a place that will let you return the guitar if you don't care for the neck.

Hope this helps,
    Bryan

3. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I have a 98 L-2000 with a #6 neck, which is excessively close to my 65 Jazz Bass.

Not that you were the least bit interested in bass necks...

4. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I am currently playing a Heritage 535 (24.75" scale and 12" radius), and a G&L ASAT Classic (25.5" scale and 7.5" radius). I find that I am able to switch between the guitars easily. I think that it is because that both guitars are in the mid-range of necks. Not too wide, not too thick and not too skinny.

In the past, I was drawn to larger necks, like Gibsons, Fenders and PRS wide/fats. But, I found that it was much harder to switch between necks at the extremes of the range. Heritage and G&L necks, are hand made and vary but, stay in that mid range. I hope this helps.

5. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I got the #4 neck on my ASAT. I special ordered it a few years ago from Buffalo Bros along with the scrape edge binding ala PRS. It took about 1/2 the estimated time for it to be done.

I recommend it.:AOK

6. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

I have a gun oil tint ASAT Classic with 1 5/8 and a very flat radius (#1?). It gets called "pencil neck" because of the shape and color! I also have a Tele with a Warmoth modern compound radius neck. It does take a minute to get adjusted, going back and forth between them.

Feelwise I may like the G&L a tad better for lead work and the Warmoth for rhythm, maybe the fatter Warmoth is easier to make chords using my fat little fingers!

7. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

I have a 7 1/2" 1 5/8th Asat and a Martin and I find both comfy. My Asat has a very slight V to it which is very nice on the hands...I play both jazz and blues on it with no discomfort. It seems to be a tad thinner feeling that my Gibson but not too thin to be a problem (nothing near modern Wizard necks or anything extreme).

8. Redrider

Redrider Member

Thanks for the information everyone. As a follow up question would you call the G&L's neck a "C" "D" or "U" in shape?

9. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I have a #2 neck with a rosewood fret board, that I would consider a C, and a maple #2 neck that I would consider a D shape. This is where the shaped by hand, comes in. I have never played a modern ASAT that I would consider a U shape.

10. Redrider

Redrider Member

Thanks everyone, you have been a real help.

11. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Here's what G&L says about necks, etc. Select Options:

http://www.glguitars.com/frameset.htm