1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

G&L tone circuit question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by sixty-four, Jun 27, 2008.

1. sixty-four

sixty-four Member

Hey all,

I installed a JB in the bridge of my G&L Comanche that is wired exactly like the S-500. I noticed that the JB sounds extremely dark and muddy. How's that for unexpected?

I was wondering if some of the kind folks here could take a look at the PDF schematic and see if anything might be suspect. I'm wondering myself about what the C3 cap does.

Here's the schematic:

http://www.glguitars.com/schematics/S-500_schematic_blockdiagram.pdf

Thanks!

2. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

That's the classic G&L bass/treble circuit. Dark and muddy huh? Maybe swap out the volume pot for a 500k. If that doesn't do it then something is either not wired correctly or there is something wrong with the pickup. Personally I like JB's with 250k pots and they are definitely not dark or muddy fwiw.

3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Reinstall the stock Z-coil and crank it up and see if you have hurt something thar under the hood.

Test the SD on another guitar for basic function.

I would expect the JB to work way better on a Legacy; I never considered trying one on one of my Comanches. Did you do a second pickguard, I hope?

Bubban0v

4. sixty-four

sixty-four Member

Yeah dark and muddy was definitely unexpected.

I do have the original pickguard so reversing this would be pretty simple...assuming I didn't screw anything else up in the process

I don't think it's the pickup. I haven't tried this JB in another guitar but I have tried 2 other pickups in my Comanche with the same basic results.

5. tubeboy76

tubeboy76 Member

Try pulling C2 out of that circuit. It looks like a treble bleed but it could darken up your buckers. Also, meter out that JB. It should read 16.4Kohms (give or take). If it reads higher than about 17K I would replace it. Also, I assume you have checked the pu height and don't have it wired with one of the phase wires instead of the hot?

6. sixty-four

sixty-four Member

Just a quick follow-up.

I checked the resistance on 2 JB's - one from my Comanche the other the stock TB-4 on my Legacy HB. Both read hot - near 18K. However, the JB in the Legacy HB didn't sound dull and lifeless. It was bright and defined.

I did yank the .001uF cap (C3 in the schematic) and that brightened up my guitar. I think that was the culprit as my Legacy HB does not have that cap in it's otherwise identical schematic.