G&L Tribute ASAT Classic Opinions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HTSMetal, Apr 13, 2015.

1. HTSMetal

HTSMetal Member

Hey guys,

I'm very intrigued by the G&L Tribute ASAT Classic Tele. Unfortunately, I've scoured my local area and can't find one to try out anywhere. I did get a chance to play a used one about three years ago at GC and remember that the MFD pickups sounded amazing...but don't remember much else about it.

For guys who have one -- how well do these axes play? Anyone had any glaring issues with theirs? How to they compare with comparitively priced MIM Teles or Squiers? I'd consider a used USA ASAT but they're just a little outside of my price range.

For reference, this is the beauty I've got my eyes on:

[​IMG]

Any help you can give would be appreciated!

2. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

These are a "contract" replica guitar made by Cortek in Surabara, Indonesia.

It is surely a competent guitar, and yeah, those are genuine California sourced pickups.

It is a nice guitar; it just isn't a very good G + L is you catch my meaning.

If you can't afford a used USA G + L, don't play a USA G + L because it will spoil you and you won't want the replica. I cannot explain why it is, but in terms of character/personality, there's more difference between a genuine G + L and a Tribute than there is between a CS Fender and a Squier Classic Vibe.

3. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Supporting Member

I haven't played that particular model, but I have owned two different Tribute ASAT's. I had a Special with the MFD P90 style pickups, and a Deluxe Carved Top with humbuckers. I thought they were fantastic guitars that played very well.

I haven't played a USA G&L, but the Indonesian models are pretty good bang for the buck.

4. Turi

Turi Member

I know you said it's outside of your price range, but a used USA one will be worth every cent.
    Just save up a little longer! Don't settle for anything less.

Of course, I've never played a Tribute, and are assuming they are "less" - but my USA ASAT Classic Alnico is the best guitar I've played full stop and I'm honestly proud to own it, it's fantastic in every way.

Just save up, is my advice. I'm sure the Tributes are great though.
    The plain white pickguard on that particular one makes it look way cheap though - if you go with that, replace it with like a cream pearloid or something to uncheapen it >_<

But seriously do yourself a major favour, save up and buy a USA one.
    I say this as an Australian. No patriotism involved here.

5. newsonghawaii

newsonghawaii Member

Dear OP, these guys are giving you some good advice. However, I have to say that I recently got this used Tribute Bluesboy and I am blown away by the quality of fit and finish as well as the sound and playability. I gig with it regularly and it will often bump my more expensive axes out of the starting line up. And it just looks so darn good!
    [​IMG]

6. Turi

Turi Member

That's freaking nice!

7. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I forgot to Commend you for putting the Tribute term front and center in your thread. I appreciate that.

Some guys who buy these do not want to be reminded they don't have a California guitar.

I think if you dig, you might find an older "Leo" era USA ASAT for as little as $ 500. These show up in the most improbable places. I remember one of the guys finding a nice older Comanche in North Mississippi for $ 200. While it won't be glossy like these new Tributes are, the older G + Ls are so cool.

8. HTSMetal

HTSMetal Member

Thanks for the insight guys. I found a Tribute ASAT Classic locally and I'm gonna go give it a try today or tomorrow and evaluate it.

That thing is an absolute stunner. Every one of these Tribute G&L's that I've seen in photos look like they're really high quality instruments. Not to mention the MFD pickups sound unbelievable in video demos, and in person!

9. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

I have both USA ASAT & a Tribute and you can't hardly tell the difference in quality. Tributes are a step or two above MIM Fender's. Hard to go wrong imho

10. Gary_

Gary_ Member

I have 3 G&L's. One is a 1995 USA Legacy (so, a strat). One is a Tribute S-500 (strat shape but very different) and one is a Tribute ASAT special.

All are very, very nice - the tributes I've tried (including mine) have all played well and punched a long way above their weight.

As you're asking for comparisons to other guitars? Note that the ASAT classic you've pictured does NOT come with 'normal' telecaster pickups - these are MFD pickups which are a very different thing. I'm not claiming them to be better or worse than other pickups but they don't sound 100% like a regular tele. Just so as you know :)

11. HTSMetal

HTSMetal Member

I finally got a chance to try the G&L Tributes at a local music store that I didn't know existed until a few days ago. Turns out they're the only G&L dealer in a 100 mile radius of my hometown.

Anyway, I played a couple Tribute ASATs...

[​IMG]

...and then did exactly what Boris Bubbanov told me not to do...I played a few USA-made G&L's. It spoiled me. I'm very grateful that I did -- they blew the Tribute models out of the water. Fit, finish, playability and feel were top notch on the USA G&L's -- not so much on the Tributes. Still they were nice guitars for what they are, but the USA G&L's are quality through and through.

Decision made -- I'm saving my cash for a USA model. Thanks to everyone who helped me make a better decision!

12. Turi

Turi Member

I think you've made a great decision - stick to it, and you'll be rewarded... they're fantastic guitars. I haven't played a Tribute.. but my USA ASAT Classic Alnico has already probably lasted more than most guitars I've had recently.

I feel like it's actually killed the GAS for me. I haven't even considered trading it for a different guitar, I haven't gone looking at other guitars, nothing like that at all.

I've shifted over to actually playing it, learning new songs, and also looking at pedals and stuff for it.

Getting this USA ASAT has been such a huge relief for me - it's just clicked and I'm happy with it.

Hopefully you'll get the same thing when you finally get your ASAT.

Can't wait for the NGD!!

tuberattler - that's awesome. I might a Tribute Bluesboy later in the year, as a kinda backup guitar that will give me some different toanz than my USA ASAT.. great to hear from someone who has both.

13. slogger

slogger Member

They are great guitars for sure. The materials, build/craftsmanship are excellent. The only problem I had with mine was the bridge pup was microphonic and would squeal uncontrollably and obnoxiously with any type of gain or compression. I sent it to G&L and they took the brass plate off the back of the pup but it still squealed The word I got from G&L was that was the design so live with it. I really liked the guitar so I ended up putting a SD little 59 in. You will be happy with your purchase.

14. Turi

Turi Member

They're supposed to squeal??

15. MartinC

MartinC Member

I've been delighted with my Tribute Classic.

Value for money is off the scale, in a good way. It's a budget guitar, but I think it punches miles above its weight. I wouldn't suggest that it's as good as top shelf guitars (I also have a PRS Mira and a Suhr Classic to compare to), but it's easily good enough as a knock around guitar that is enjoyable to play.

I replaced the tuners on mine with locking tuners ... the stock ones are only OK and I despise non-locking tuners anyway. At some point, I'll get the nut replaced as the stock one is starting to bind a bit. Apart from that, nothing else needs upgrading.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  16. TTHX

TTHX Member

This was my exact same experience with them. I had first tried a tribute, but sold it due to the squealing. Went against my gut and got a USA made one. Same thing. Sold it a week after. It's useless to me if I can't play at gig volumes.

They're well built guitars otherwise. Very solid feeling.

17. badjack

badjack Supporting Member

Hellow Guys
    this is my take on the indonesion vs usa versions i have three G&l's
    1 usa bluesboy (stock)
    1 trib comanche (stock)
    1 trib deluxe that i modded with gibson p-94's in the humbucker holes

I have heard a lot of people say the usa versions are miles better.
    I would like to see a blind taste test so to speak to see how that go's
    here is what i know about G&l they are cnc milled and hand finnished tribs
    have usa pups and the difference being is the pots & switches are different
    and the usa frets are plecked and the tribs are sanded an polished.
    their all very nice guitars. i cant tell the diff in build quality.
    just my 2 cents
    reguards ED

18. slider

slider Member

Take the price of any new Tribute, add like 2-300, and with patience you can find a used USA model. Yesterday there was a USA Legacy on Ebay for 640 shipped. Unbeatable.