G&L "Tribute" series import guitars- better than MIM Fedners?

I didn't like the MIM Jimmy Vaughan strat at all... I LOVED a G&L Legacy even more than the more co$tly Fender strats, but can't afford one right now. I'm a-scopin' out ebay.

However, how are these Tribute G&Ls? made in Korea? I never hear about them here, though people often talk about MIM Fenders... (even Squiers!)...

So, what's the deal?

daddyo

While I disagree that the G&L Trinutes are better than the MIM JV, I'd say that they are better than ordinary MIMs. But then theycost more too (at least here).

Oh, I was just asking, I apologize if I was unclear. I haven't gotten to try the Tribute guitars at all... I wouldn't be surprised if they are to be avoided at all costs, but just thought I'd ask. I did play a PRS SE that was not too shabby, but I've got a McCarty Rosewood, so I'm not in the market for that. For some reason you'd expect a comparable guitar of strat construction to be much less expensive than a set neck/maple top guitar... but I wasn't really digging the lower end ones I've tried so far (JV MIM)... Maybe this was a shop beater. The volume control fell off when I picked it up and wouldn't go back on. That's not terribly convincing...

mischultz

Unless there's a Tribute Fullerton (there may well be), it'd be an apples and oranges thing with the JV. I do know that I recently bought a Tribute Legacy over either of the MIM Classic Player Strats. Neck radius, fretwire and the more modern satin finish were all big plusses for me over the MIM stuff. Hard to argue with the guitar itself, but I'll note that the three I played at the shop all had very different tonal character unplugged. One was thin, one a bit dull in the bass, and one fairly chimey. I chose the chimey one, although I may go back and get the second at some point: the neck was a little fuller in profile and darned comfortable.

In any case, I think they're onto something with the Tributes. I'd like to see a little more consistency from one to the next, but the finish and electrical work are well-executed and a good one is a very good value.

Best,

Michael

gkoelling

I've had a couple Tributes. An ASAT semi-hollow and a Legacy. Both guitars were very nice. No complaints with fit, finish, playability or tone. They have USA pups in them.

I've also owned a MIM Tele. It was a long time ago but I did have to replace the pups.

They're both nice and the Tribute may be a couple dollars more but I feel they're worth it.

Kelsey

Mischultz comments sound like the same thing one could say about Fenders in the same price range. Try before you buy is the best advice.

Crazyquilt

The Fool
Gold Supporting Member
Frankly, I think that my ASAT Special semi-hollow Tribute is on a par with quite a few American made Fenders. I can't speak for the Legacies, but I was extremely impressed by the ASAT Tribute. The only complaint I had was a volume pot crapped out, but, apparently, this was a problem with the first couple of runs of the guitar; newer ones are apparently without that problem. However, I will say that G&L supposedly was mailing out replacement pots to anyone who had that problem. Not an expensive item, certainly, but I can't imagine Fender doing the same -- and I'm a big fan of Fender guitars.

HeyMrTeleMan

Colonel of Truth
I have two USA ASAT's and two Tribute ASAT's. While the quality level of the USA ones are outstanding (at least the ones I've played) I'm very impressed with the Tributes. One of my Tributes has the nicest neck pickup of any of my guitars. The other Tribute has the nicest neck I've seen, with tons of flame maple. I think these two are flukes. Or not. I've played the Tribute ASAT hollow body, and the fit and finish is quite wonderful. And they use USA pickups and bridges (I'm pretty sure about the bridges-certain about the pickups.) This from a guy who has the USA version ASAT (hollow body with f hole). I'm very happy with the quality of both G&L's. Both great products at their respective price points.

BTW-one of the Tributes had a bad tone pot, which was covered under their liberal warranty.

BLP
(Also a problem with SOME Tributes is the pick guard being of a material that tends to pick up static from your strumming hand. It can be rectified by a swap out.) Try before you buy!)

Frankly, I think that my ASAT Special semi-hollow Tribute is on a par with quite a few American made Fenders. I can't speak for the Legacies, but I was extremely impressed by the ASAT Tribute. The only complaint I had was a volume pot crapped out, but, apparently, this was a problem with the first couple of runs of the guitar; newer ones are apparently without that problem. However, I will say that G&L supposedly was mailing out replacement pots to anyone who had that problem. Not an expensive item, certainly, but I can't imagine Fender doing the same -- and I'm a big fan of Fender guitars.

ford

Modz
Staff member
A friend of mine just picked up an Asat Classic Tribute...for the incredible price of 299 bucks new from Buffalo Brothers...I believe it was last month. I've played it, and it was MUCH better than the MIM's I played at a store last week. Didn't try a Jimmy Vaughan, although I tried a few several years back and it was ok. They may have changed some since then.

The G&L seemed much better put together and the pickups sounded way better.

rock

bford

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
Last year, I got the Tele jones and had to have one. I tried as many Fenders as I could, all the way from the Squier Affinity Teles up to the 52 Reissue. Of all the Fenders, the Highway 1 Tele was the best for me, but I still wasn't sold on it.

Then I tried the G&L ASAT, and played a few different ones in a store. I found two that I liked a lot. One was a very pricey American made one, and the other was a Tribute. Honestly, the Trib kicked ass over every Fender I played, so I bought one. I traded it this year toward a Les Paul, but while I had it, it proved to be an excellent guitar I would highly recommend to anybody needing a Tele.

Teleman

Silver Supporting Member
I think the Tribut ASAT's are great. The fit and finish is excellent and they sound great!. Mucho bang for the buck!!

CAC

Godin makes my favorite budget guitars, but Tributes are right behind. That being said I tried out one of the new MIM stats today. Fender has upgraded he bridges, frets, and pickups in their standard series. If the guitar I tried today was any indication I think Fender is on the right track. I didn't have a G&L to compare it to, but it did play and sound great. Over the past few years though I would say G&L has easily kicked Fender's ass with their budget line.

mischultz

Mischultz comments sound like the same thing one could say about Fenders in the same price range. Try before you buy is the best advice.
I think that goes for any guitar in any range. I believe the execution on the Tributes is better right now than the MIM instruments I've seen, but wood is the big variable. Find the right piece in a well-built guitar and you're on your way.

Best,

Michael

Junior

And they use USA pickups and bridges (I'm pretty sure about the bridges-certain about the pickups.)
Ha! G&L was right. Those are Korean bridges, but they are so nicely done G&L was afraid they'd be confused with American parts (and possibly 'Bayed as such) so they had them put "Tribute" on them in big letters. :)

Anyway, I have to agree with everyone else - the Tributes are excellent guitars, and G&L is an excellent company. AFAIK, the static problem has also be addressed. If you liked the SE, I think you'll like a Tribute.

Trending Topics