G&L Vs. Fender TELE?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BrandonZ, Aug 3, 2006.

1. BrandonZ

BrandonZ Member

Im in the market for a Tele and everyone I have talked to seems to say get a G&L. Anyone have any thoughts on this. Plus's or minus's.

Thanks guys.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    G&L workmanship is definitely a cut above in the same price range.

G&Ls suffer from poor resale value. If you find a model you like, try to find one used.

3. Hamer Player

Hamer Player Senior Member

Agreed.

G&L is the higher quality instrument, but... only a "Fender" is a "Tele."

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Get out and play 'em if ya can...
    G&L suits me best, but YMMV.

5. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

George Fullerton & Leo Fender (G&L) started it and they still build a great line of gits.

6. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Good fenders tele are a little more hard to find that good G&L's, definetly the G&L is a better guitar to me but the best thing is try to play them to see if they fit your playing style and tone needs... I have only 2 fender teles (a '66 and a '01) on G&L I have 3, classic asat, getting a used one may get you a good deal. Good luck.

7. johnmfer

johnmfer Supporting Member

I custom ordered a G&L ASAT classic, waited five months for it, and it turns out I didn't bond with it like I thought I would after playing so many others in stores. It is a great guitar, the quality is superb and the tone is great, but it's not my thing. I put it up on ebay and got half what I paid new, for an essentially brand new guitar.

Long story short, +1 buy one used.

8. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Last year right about this time, I too had the Tele jones. I played a bunch of Fenders at GC, from the budget prices Squiers through the MIMs to the 52RI. From this make, I kind of liked the Highway 1 best.

Then I tried some G&L ASATs. Each one I picked up was remarkable, including the Korean made Tribute series. I prefered the thinline, and chose a Tribute Classic Semi Hollow. From the roughly 20 ASATs and Teles I tried, I really liked the Tribute best. Price was in line too, so I bought it.

Then, another two weeks go by, and I'm driving back to Atlanta from the Charlotte Guitar Show. I stop in Haymes Music in Gaffney, SC, and what do I find but a Fender Aerodyne Telecaster, the first one I had ever seen! I LOVED IT! The fit, the feel, the sound - it was like I had played that guitar my whole life. I wished I had held out for it! But there was no way I could have justified buying it so quickly after the Tribute, and the resale on the Trib would be wretched.

The moral: just when you think you have all the answers, you realize you don't know anything.

9. Marty

Marty Member

Bill Nash with Lollar pickups. I say this owning a Fender Custom Shop Tele Relic with Duncan Antiquities in it.

Ask anybody who owns one.

marty

10. corgiears

corgiears Member

.... if it's not a Fender, it's not a Tele....... :eek:

...running for cover now.......... :)

11. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I am not really a tele guy, but I believe my observations in strat land apply here. I played hundreds of strats and very few of them spoke to me. Then a luthier/friend/collector/store owner brought in 2 two vintage (45 year old) strats for me to AB against his G&Ls. The pre-CBS strats were incredible and blew my mind. The G&L Legacy was really close and with 40 years hard playing I believe will surpass them. I now have 2 G&Ls and love them.

There are many reasons why I would take a G&L over a Fender, but it would be wrong to think of it as just a better strat/tele. It isn't, it is a different instrument with a different vibe. My advice is to play a few, and if one speaks to you, buy it. If not, try a bunch of Fenders and pick the one that feels best. If they all feel the same, get a MIM or Tribute in your favorite color and practice your ass off for a few years. Then repeat the exercise.

Shawn.

12. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

:Spank

To me, saying a G&L isn't a Fender is like saying Leo's latest work is crap.

The Fenders I have and have had can't compare with the G&L's I own.

13. Rich

Rich Silver Supporting Member

As said, play both and go with what YOU like.

OK, now for the disclaimer and flame bait--

Ive owned many ASATs of all configurations, and yes they are fine, fine guitars. No doubt.

But they do not sound nor feel like their Fender counterparts.

Im of the "if you want a duck you buy a duck school". So if its a capital T Tele you want, you gotta go Fender.

14. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I play what works and sounds right for me. Own an old strat and have yet to see a non-fender strat that hits me the same way as originals. Meanwhile, I bonded instantly with my G&L ASAT Classic, after being unable to connect with any number of modern teles, including CS stuff.

I do not see the point in getting hung up on the name. Judge the instrument by how it sounds and how it fits with you. Everything else is secondary, unless you're more of a collector than player.

15. corgiears

corgiears Member

Wow, how many emoticons do I have to put in a post to let people know I'm joking.... phew, tough crowd....

16. aquadog

aquadog Member

I pretty much agree with everything that has been said in this thread, but personally, the G&L's have done it for me every time over Fender, regardless of model or price.

Definatley check out the semi-hollow asats- theyre monsters, especially the specials

17. Scoeb City

Scoeb City Member

good thread. i think im going with a G&L fenders bum me out with how much they're charging for mexican guitars right now.

18. Quinny

Quinny Member

G&L, no question for me personally. Searched for the right Fender for a long, long time.... currently have 2 ASATs.

Q.

19. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

I LOVE my ASAT Classic!
    [​IMG]

20. stucker

stucker Member

Fender produces so many guitars that they are inconsistent. There are quite a few companies now that make excellent instruments, with pro features that are much greater value with better quality control instrument to instrument than Fender due to more limited production. G&L is one of these companies.

In the mid price range G&L probably gives you the best value for your money. In the higher price range, Grosh, Suhr, Anderson (and some others) are hard to beat.

Now, Fender does excel in one area - the low price range guitars. Some of the Mexican Fenders are great guitars for the money.

I should also add that the Eric Johnson model is excellent in it's price range but there isn't a Fender Tele available yet in that range that I know of.

So, the best value really depends on what price range guitar you want. Also, as mentioned above Fender does have the best resale value of any of the above (Suhr is probably #2 resale). Good luck.