G&L vs. Fender

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by philcoleman4, Feb 22, 2009.

1. philcoleman4

philcoleman4 Member

I'm looking into purchasing a New Fat Strat type of guitar. I'm probably going to spend around $550. But I hear really good things about the G&L's and I've never played one because they don't carry them anywhere near where I live. I know the MIM Strat's are great for the $ and if they are tweaked and modded right can sound really awesome. I've heard them with Suhr's and Fender Fat 50's and I was pretty impressed. I'm just curious as to how G&L's $500 guitar holds up to Fender's MIM stuff.

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

You can find a used USA made G&L for about $550 and I would definitely recommend it over a MIM Fender. As for the G&L Tribute series, they are comparable to MIM Fender.

3. philcoleman4

philcoleman4 Member

Which Models are $550? Any other suggestions?

4. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Member

G&L's are the best used guitars on the planet.
    Tough to find one for $550.
    Used Tributes are $350+.

JJ

5. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

I recently played a Legacy that was very impressive, as good as anything I've handled. It was $700 used which seems to be what they are going for from what I've seen.

6. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Used Hamers and Heritages are great deals too.

7. philcoleman4

philcoleman4 Member

I can scrape up some cash to get one. I've heard nothing but good things about them compared to fenders. What about the Tribute series though? Are they better than the MIM Fenders?

8. asattwanger

asattwanger Member

Just save a litle bit more money and buy a used USA G&L. You will really thank yourself in the long run as you end with four or five of them, because you'll love the great quality for stupid money and won't be able to resist spend another $700. on another.

9. philcoleman4

philcoleman4 Member

10. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

comparable only as to their place in the lineup IMO (entry level) ... the G&L Tributes I've played are far, far better than the vast majority of the MIM Fenders.

11. philcoleman4

philcoleman4 Member

Do the neck's have more of a finish on them or are they more unfinished?

12. Trego

Trego Member

you can get either...I personally like the gun oil tint finish.

13. philcoleman4

philcoleman4 Member

Is that a thin layer or thick layer?

14. ponpon

ponpon Member

I had two G&Ls they were great. They dont really cop the fender sound though because the pickups are very different, the build quality is pretty good though. I sold both of them to buy my ej strat, and I have to say that I prefer the ej strat.

15. philcoleman4

philcoleman4 Member

That was my biggest concern because I really like the fender sound. And I know they use a Passive Treble Bass System in them which to me could make the pickups sound really full, or really mushy.

16. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

The pickups are a little more high powered than many Fender pickups, but if you spend enough time around the bass cut and treble cut controls, you'll see you have a great deal more versatility. You don't simply stick the volume and tone controls on 10 then look to the amp and pedals for all your adjustments; the knobs really really work.

Phil, until very recently used ones at $ 550 were plentiful, and that will resume; it is just that a lot of guitar would-be buyers got pissed when they saw Fender ( and Gibson and PRS ) lists go up, so there was a temporary spike in demand for used "others". It won't last. I just got pipped on a really nice looking ASAT Classic, EXC+ (all but new) for which the dealer wanted $ 650.

17. philcoleman4

philcoleman4 Member

Hmm....I have a lot to process and think about. But do the G&L pickups POP like fender pickups do?

18. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

what Boris said ... typical Strat tones are in there, too, along with much more than you can ever get out of most Strats w/ the PTB tone system (bass & treble cut on all 3 pickups).

jc

19. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Yup, I somewhat agree with Boris too. I love my Legacy for the wide tonal range it covers BUT, IMO, it won't quite do a good what I consider to be a good vintage Strat sound. So, I'd say comparing a G&L to a Fender is like apples to oranges...they are their own thing.

20. philcoleman4

philcoleman4 Member

I may go ahead and see if I can get one just to finally try one out to give my own opinion. G&L does seem to have a little more versatility to them though.