G Major 2....is it out....if so what do you think?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tremonti, Feb 21, 2009.

1. tremonti

tremonti Member

I have a G Major 2 on order that should be here soon. Anyone have one(not sure if they've been out to public at all yet)....if so what do you think? I had the old version and it was great...hope the new one has better knobs...that was my only real complaint.

2. tremonti

tremonti Member

3. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

Not available yet to my knowledge. I'm planning on getting one as soon as my dealer has them. He says mid-March.

4. tremonti

tremonti Member

Same Day Music is stating Feb 26th...hope they're right...can't wait much longer and would have to get something for in between if G2 doesnt ship soon!

5. DS88

DS88 Member

So.. how does this thing work? Can you use it like the G-system, as in effects before the amp AND in the loop, using a 4-cable method? Or is it limited to loop only?

6. tremonti

tremonti Member

Front or loop only.....really the only thing that should be out front is compression and OD/Distortion....but the G Major is a very high quality processor that is very easy to use...a lot easier than the G System. Effects are on par with it though....even has some effects the G System doesn't have.

7. DS88

DS88 Member

Thanks! Seems like a pretty cool little device though, a friend of mine used to have the old g-major (around '03?) but I can't remember the quality of the effects, unfortunately.

It seems very useful to use with a nice channel switching amp. If the delays are nice, I might get myself one of these babies :)

8. tremonti

tremonti Member

The only gripe about the old G Major was the control knob sucked...looks like a completely different knob on the new one. The effects are very good....nothing crazy...just solid usable effects. The pitch shifting and harmonizers are awesome too. The reverbs and delays are what it does best. They have added an autowah and improved the compressor too.

9. DS88

DS88 Member

But, why would I want a compressor in the effects loop of my amp?

10. Yek

Yek Member

I have one on order too. Thomann (Germany) says 2 - 5 days to go ...

The AD-DA wasn't that good on the old (current) version. That's why I stayed with Rocktron (Intelliverb), much better dry signal path. Well, I always run 19" effects in parallel (Suhr Minimix) anyway and I will continue to do that.

The G2 has some promising features (modulated delays (finally), intell. pitchshifter, vibe/leslie). Can't wait!

11. tremonti

tremonti Member

Well having a compressor in the effects loop isn't for everyone.....that's just how TC has set it up...would I like the compressor to be in a front loop? Yes. And for that reason I may buy a compressor along with 2-3 O/D and Distortion pedals and throw into a midi looper like the Axess Electronics one. But I don't use compressor all that much and it still works in the effects loop...different sound but for my needs...probably good enough. Hey...Tom Morello puts his wah in his effects loop!

12. DS88

DS88 Member

Ye, well.. what works for one doesn't necessarilly work for me! I'm still interested in it though, and I'll probably use my Keeley in front either way..

I'd like to go to a midi setup one day, so this will be one way to achieve that!

13. Yek

Yek Member

According to the TC Electronic site, they have begun shipping the G-Major 2 to dealers today.

14. mobis8

mobis8 Member

So is it confirmed that the Major-2 does not do the four cable method? I have and use the original, and was only thinking about upgrading if it did the 4 cable method... Actually I was kind of PRAYING that was an upgrade when I heard they were doing another version...

That is a downer if so...

Like others said above, having the compressor and the noise gate in the loop makes it a non-usable effect block for my application. Still in my rack however because the other effects are very nice.

15. Yek

Yek Member

No 4-cable method. It's even in the manual.

16. mobis8

mobis8 Member

Well horsefeathers... Guess I am going to have to wait for the G-major 3 to come out in 5 years...

17. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

Ordered mine today and should have it Wednesday. I'll let you know what I think of it.

18. Yek

Yek Member

Yep, mine is on its way too.

19. Yek

Yek Member

It's in. Tested it with a Bogner XTC, effects loop. I tested first with the fx-loop set to series, then set to parallel (dry kill ON on the G-Major).

I owned the first version and now use a Rocktron Intelliverb, an oldie but great sound.

It's sturdy enough but light. It has big knobs wich feel good. I do miss a little hole in the knobs to make it easier to turn it (there's a lot of turning to do).

Editing is okay, but there seems to be a very slight delay between turning the knob and the display of menu items, kinda irritating.

Hallelujah: no wall wart, just a power cable.

TC still puts the line level / instrument level setting in the menu, and labels it as Pro / Consumer. Why? TC, just put a +4/-10 switch on the front.

Connections: no problems here. But alas, no tap tempo button anymore. You gotta do that via MIDI or a separate footswitch.

Relay switching: is still here. But because it's part of every preset, it still doesn't allow you to force the G-Major to ignore the setting. Sometimes I want a preset without having the G-Major use the relays. Not possible, there should be an "ignore" setting.

Tonesuck? I believe not. Or to be on the safe side: hardly. I tested it in a series setup, and turned the fx loop on and off. Of course everything was set up fine, at unity gain, and no active effects. I didn't hear noise or substantial loss of tone. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

But I'm not going to use it in series. I'm placing it in the (parallel) send/return loop of a Suhr Minimix 2, with dry-kill ON on the G-Major.
    The Minimix 2 also has dry kill, which enables me to still get the tremolo, whammy and other 100% wet effects.

The effects themselves sound slightly sterile. Nothing new when it comes to TC. And I was used to the Inteliverb.

Of course I tried the factory presets, and as always they don't do the device justice. Partly unuseable, partly faulty (strange harmony voices, or presets that just don't work). And I'm getting tired of preset names that are meant to be funny .....

Then I made a clean preset and tried all the effects one by one. And I like them. The Univibe is great. The intelligent pitchshifting tracks quite good (but dont do pitch shifted chords). And there are so many effects, almost everything but overdrive/fuzz/etc. Are the reverbs improved? I think so but I'm no expert. The Thru-Zero Flanger is fun. And finally.... modulated delays. It does require another routing and you can't get modulated delay trails of a signal that's already modulated. But still, it's here.
    If the G-Major makes me wanna remove some of my pedals from the rack has to be seen, but the possibility is there.

Programming is fairly easy. But up- and downloading should be made possible via USB instead of MIDI.

Conclusion, I'm sticking with it. The Intelliverb will move to a shelf (sigh ...).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  20. tremonti

tremonti Member