• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

G-Major or the Lexicon LXP for my effects loop?

shawntp

I want to get something with a few effects to put in the effects loop of my Jet. I usually play with no pedals but sometimes I want a touch more ambient tone.

I am looking for something that will let me throw in some reverb/delay/chorus once in a while when the mood strikes. I have searched around a lot and found the TC Electronics G-Major as a newer budget unit (200-300 used) that would do the above and more but honestly I do not care about all the fancy modulation/pulse/complex digital sounds. I just want something real basic to add a little ambient character once in a while.

So I also have been looking at the Lexicon LXP-1 which seems to be ideal also for what I want. The problem is they all seem to be going for over $200 shipped on ebay these days so I am effectively in the same price range as the G-Major.

Anyone compare the two or have another recommendation? Is the LXP-1 (even with its age) going to sound a little more refined in the reverb area where the G-Major is just going to be a little bit of everything?

I really dont need lots of kinds of chorus delay and parameters - just something I can throw in once in a while.

HeartfeltDawn

There are cheaper Lexicon units. The MPX100/200 are alright, you might get lucky with a cheap MPX500 or 500, but the Lexicon Reflex gives you some decent effects for the price. My old one cost £50 on Ebay. The Alesis Quadraverb isn't the most transparent unit but does some great spacey reverbs.

Generally I find TC reverbs to be quite neutral sounding whilst the Lexicon reverbs have a bit more character. Each can have their uses.

shawntp

I know this was sort of an obscure request and didnt get a lot of replies but I wanted to follow up.

I have been searching around and I am thinking of picking up the Eventide TimeFactor instead. Seems like it is sort of like the lexicon accept the TimeFactor is a delay oriented device that can do light reverb and chorus tones vs a reverb oriented device that can do some delay and chorus (LXP-1).

Seems like a great option to put in an effects loop to get some ambient sounds - Ill probably try it first and look for one used.

and P.S. - whats not to love about a 8 hr battery in the MBP for truly un-tethered recording options!

Last edited:

gtrnstuff

Loads of rack info and opinions over here:

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/portal.php

Eventide delay and pitch stuff is great. In the older units, reverb not so much, IMO.
G Major is pretty nice, good UI.
IIRC the LXP-1 half rack unit is preset only, with some deeper editing available thru MIDI? Lexicon verbs are my favorites.

shawntp

So another change in plans - I picked up a Lexicon MPX100 on ebay for $60

I'll give that a try and see how things go.

shawntp

Well - I got the MPX-100 in and its great for the price. It is real good at adding some ambience between the reverbs and some delay tones. It does a hand full of things good enough (chorus, trem, etc) but the reverb is really great and the delay is pretty good.

I like the wet/dry mix using this in the loop, it doesnt kill your origional tone at all. While the unit does sound a little digital it doesn't sound cheesy and its real easy to mix the wet back a little bit if things are too much.

I'll likely just setup a handful of my favorite reverbs/delays/ambient tones and store them in the user banks for quick access since the units main pitfall is that you have to turn knobs any time you want to change things but thats fine. I would not keep a tremolo or chorus pedal around since I mainly just go right into my Two-Rock amp but for $60 this think is killer for having a hand full of fun sounds to play with for a while when the mood strikes and its so cheap it wont be on the chopping block.

I imagine it would be tons of fun with a looper if you wanted to do that Bill Frisell thing - now if I can just gather up the courage to order one of those Boomerang III prototypes.

Trending Topics