"G" note buzzing.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by scanlory, Feb 7, 2008.

1. scanlory

scanlory Member

Whenever I play a G (10th fret D string, or open G especially) something sounds like it's rattling or buzzing underneath the bridge (or in that region at least) of my Taylor 414. This seems to be a recent development, does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? Should I take it back to the shop, and have them check it out, or is this something easily fixable?

2. texasdave

texasdave Gold Supporting Member

Even though it sounds like it's in the bridge area, the culprit might be in the nut on the G string... good news is it's quite easy to check... just loosen the G string and put a little piece of paper in the slot, and retune the G sting to pitch... if this changes or eliminates the the buzzing, then you've likely found the problem... Either way, it's a 60 second test that costs you nothing...

3. David Collins

David Collins Member

Dave is right in that buzzes and rattles can be very deceiving in where they sound like they are coming from. It's very often in places like the back of the nut, tuner washers, or it could be neck bolts, electronics and wire if you have them, even a loose brace. There are plenty of other possible areas as well, but a good first step is to isolate it in to one of two categories - either string/fret buzz, or some other type of mechanical rattle. Muting the strings and tapping around the top, bridge, back, neck, etc., to see if you can reproduce any rattle is a good place to start as well.

4. devinb

devinb Member

David certainly knows far more than I ever will, but to me, the fact that the same note played on different strings causes the rattle would seem to suggest something is vibrating sympathetically with that note...I used to be a band director, certain notes would cause something in the lights in my room to vibrate.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

agreed, the same note on different strings causing a buzz implies something mechanical rattling sympathetically.