G.S. Wyllie fuzz pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by buzzp, Jun 18, 2012.

1. buzzp

buzzp Member

Who has experience with them? Specifically the rising sun? I can't find a solid demo anywhere and his demo on his page sounds like someone is just punching a guitar.

2. IG88

IG88 Member

doesn't the designer/builder live on endor or some sh!t and the only way you can buy them is if you drive to his cabin in the middle of the woods and trade him seeds for his wares?

Grubgoat likes this.
  3. buzzp

buzzp Member

Something like that...i have a chance to get one in a trade

4. thedroid

thedroid Member

His pedals are works of art. A friend of mine has one and has been to "endor" many times. They also sound great.

But they have no TGP mania about them, so I wouldn't get one if you think you'll probably flip it.

5. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Man, I've always wanted to try some of them. I've been intrigued by the Moonrock since the 90's...

6. thedroid

thedroid Member

My friend has the Full Moon Fuzz. On one setting it does this strange backwards attack. The fuzz overloads when you hit the strings then fades back in as the note sustains.

7. buzzp

buzzp Member

why doesn't he just make better demos? He would sell more pedals

8. Mothman

Mothman Member

I'd call you to task for this derisive statement, except that it's about half true. Glenn lives in a hundred-year-old tumbledown at the end of a road that's almost inaccessible by vehicle. I've been there many times. He does prefer greenbacks over seeds, though.

I don't understand his business model, either, but he's loyal to a guy who had an online store that's now been down/defunct for the better part of a year due to some kind of internicene dispute with an employee. How Glenn's been selling in the meantime, I don't know. But whatever he's doing seems to work for him.

All I can say, based on personal experience, is that he's an extremely quirky, but very nice, guy... and probably a genius. The stuff he builds sounds incredible, the circuits are almost all original designs, and the pedal housings are works of art that look like nothing else around.

Grubgoat, e-flat and superrock like this.
  9. Mothman

Mothman Member

Agreed, but I suspect he's not interested in moving reams of product through the New Internet Model. That's just my opinion.

If you saw the equipment those sound clips were made with, you'd be surprised they sound as good as they do. He's playing a cheap Chinese strat clone through a solid-state practice amp, and using some lo-fi computer mic to do the recording.

Being a huge fan of Townsend's "Live At Leeds" sound, I've thought about that Rising Sun pedal, too. It's the only model of his that's a clone (albeit a highly-modified one). Unfortunately, he's never had one built when I've visited.

10. IG88

IG88 Member

Oh im not being derisive at all. I envy people who can live off the grid and be/stay happy and it seems he has no trouble in doing that. Wish his pedals were easier to come across so I could try one out, they've always been on my radar.

11. Ginsly

Ginsly Member

Wow, those are some of the coolest looking pedals I've ever seen! Really curious about the sound - can anybody point me towards some vids or clips?

12. jellyroll

jellyroll Member

Rising Sun fuzz is outstanding. A spitty, nasty wall of fuzz with almost no cleanup and yet highly useable and highly versatile. I have had mine for about 7 years or so and absolutely love it still. Moonrock, Newmoon, and Fuzzstone are other pedals of his I own, and they are all pretty great. He has an email and you can order direct from him....

Grubgoat likes this.
  13. Mothman

Mothman Member

True... his stuff isn't easy to find at all. Most of the retail outlets around here have never even heard of him, and I'm pretty sure he's only selling direct since the Tonefrenzy website went down (which had the only hi-fi demos of any of his pedals).

Speaking of which, this just turned up on a Google search: evidently the Tonefrenzy guy has been posting some of those review clips at Soundcloud.

http://soundcloud.com/tonefrenzy/tracks?page=1

Only two of the older Wyllie pedals are up there, but he had more at the old site; maybe they'll be forthcoming.

14. superrock

superrock Silver Supporting Member

15. superrock

16. superrock

Mothman likes this.