G String a little jangly when fretted...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by davidos, Dec 21, 2009.

1. davidos

davidos Supporting Member

On my partscaster I have noticed the G string sounds fine played open but I am getting a buzzing when fretted particularily in the upper frets... almost sounds like something is rattling in the bridge itself (vintage trem, decked, no spring in hole)... Action is my normal 4-5/64ths

Thinking I may need to straighten the neck a bit and raise the saddles?

2. dmc777

dmc777 Member

I'd check the relief in your neck. First, I raise just that string a tad and see if that helps.

3. Jan Folkson

Jan Folkson Member

Where did the neck come from? I've never seen an aftermarket neck (from the usual bunch of suppliers) that didn't need a grind and polish fwiw...

4. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Davidos -

Make sure the saddle on the G string is sitting level, not cocked to one side or the other. That way both "feet" on each saddle have pressure on them, so they don't rattle .... Also, if there are no springs in the saddles, make sure they're tight with the bridge - push ''em tight from the back of the bridge when changing strings, or loosen the string and push, then re-tighten.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

5. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

Do you hear it through the amp? Or just unplugged?

6. davidos

davidos Supporting Member

thanks Dana and everyone...

I hear it unplugged although I was starting to hear it plugged in (my ears picking up the strumming... not through the amp)