G-System...I just can't make it work for me

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jazzgear, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Jazzgear

Jazzgear Supporting Member

This is my 2nd go around with this unit....I first tried it a year and half ago with my mesa RK II and the tone suckage was unbearable. But then I come to this forum and keep reading how great this thing is and how Egnater recommends it....

...so I say to myself, perhaps I didn't give it a fair shake and maybe the software upgrades has improved the tone.

So I sold my Eventide and purchased this unit again. I am two weeks into to it and the tone is just a notch below ok, no where near amazing. It always seems like the signal is compressed...though I never use the compressor and I have even bypassed the Insert Loop and went for Loop one instead for my preamp --still the same compressed signal.

My guess is the AD/DA converters are at fault here. With the Eventide, my tone improved and never sounded compressed.

I also have G Force, and it sounds wonderful...nothing like the G System.

So folks, I really want to like this thing as it really is a great idea. I'd love nothing more than to consolidate my effects to just this board and an expression pedal and a couple of drive pedals in the loops....but I've spent too much $$ in my amp and guitars to have the tone compromised by this end end POS (at least as of now).

In all honesty, however, my real complaint with the tone, where the suck-age is more noticeable is in the clean channels...the overdriven tones are not too bad and not as noticeable...

I'd like to hear your opinions before send this back to MF and re-order my Eclipse (which is a pain in the ass to program...spent too much time programming instead of playing -- but it sounds great).

2. rnm14

rnm14 Member

I don't have a G-System, but tried it briefly and realized pretty much the same thing. However I have read somewhere that the boost function isn't really a boost, the presets are at unity level with the boost on, and quieter with the boost off. I suppose that this might be responsible for some of the tone suckage, but not for the compression.

3. Jazzgear

4. Laird_Williams

Laird_Williams Member

Using loop 1 for your preamp rather than the insert loop is unlikely to do much.

A few things to try:

1) Be sure the compressor is off for all patches that you are using the test/debug. Remember that compressor enable/bypass/settings are patch-level setting and so get restored whenever you switch patches. I am guessing you already did this, but you'd be AMAZED at how many people turn the compressor off, change patches, and then thing the compressor should still be off. Maybe - but if and only if the patch you switch TO has the compressor off. If the patch you switch TO has the compressor on, guess what...

2) Proper level setting is a must. There is an excellent procedure on the TC electronic user forum for getting your input gain, pre-FX volume, loop levels, and loop headroom set.

3) Yes, the first DSP section does mess with things somewhat, although doing #2 above minimizes the effects to a great degree. If you still do not like it, try jacking your guitar into the return on loop 1 rather than the input. This effectively bypasses the first dsp section. (Of course, in your case you will need to put the preamp back in the insert loop---and you will need to make sure that loop 1 is ON for all your patches).

4) The boost is not a boost. For starters, work without it. You may want it back, but until you get things set up it will only add variables to an already variable-rich environment. To fully remove the boost: set the boost headroom to zero, turn the boost off, and then turn the boost lock on.

5. Jazzgear

THX...some nice tips...I will give em a try and report back.