G-Town Owner Club (Holy Grail and other Pedals)

snoop335

Yes, that is absolutely right - except of HiCut switch on DualDrive.
That combination of different voicing channels works really good. I had feedback from customer in Singapore saying that he keeps 335 side always ON.
I can totally see how it makes sense to have the 335 as an „always on“ tone enhancement / clean-to-edge of break up boost and kick in the HG to get to the land of driven tones….

BUTTISLAND

Hi Martin, what is the differences between this 335 compact with my compact Holy grail? is it just the case and the name?

snoop335

Hi Martin, what is the differences between this 335 compact with my compact Holy grail? is it just the case and the name?
A few posts up in this thread Martin confirmed that the HG Dual is the same as a 335 (compact) on channel 1 PLUS a HG V2 on channel 2 (minus the Hi-Cut switch).
To me, the HG is very different than the 335: it seems to offer more dynamic range that you can nicely control with your pick attack. Also it seems to compress far less at higher gain settings. And of course, the HG offers a Hi-Cut switch which I use a lot.
Overall, I don't really bond with the 335's higher gain settings. But having a 335 AND a HG is simply great as they stack nicely.

Last edited:

BUTTISLAND

A few posts up in this thread Martin confirmed that the HG Dual is the same as a 335 (compact) on channel 1 PLUS a HG V2 on channel 2 (minus the Hi-Cut switch).
To me, the HG is very different than the 335: it seems to offer more dynamic range that you can nicely control with your pick attack. Also it seems to compress far less at higher gain settings. And of course, the HG offers a Hi-Cut switch which I use a lot.
Overall, I don't really bond with the 335's higher gain settings. But having a 335 AND a HG is simply great as they stack nicely.
Groovy, I am really loving my Compact Holy Grail, if you see it for sale anywhere used, snag it. highly recommended it.

snoop335

Sorry to hear this. Sound perception is a subjective matter, so nothing wrong with you not liking the HG. Still, I would be interested to hear more about what YOU didn't like about the HG. May be of interest for others as well...

martingt

Gold Supporting Member
Hello friends, here’s a short video of Jack Ruch playing his hollowbody 335 style guitar with 335 overdrive. I liked it so much!! Couldn’t resist to share with you. The only regret that its being so short video. Wanted it never end!!

Last edited:

Twrogstudio

Thats awesome! Love my 335, although I don’t quite sound like that with it :bow.

Hello friends, here’s a short video of Jack Ruch playing his hollowbody 335 style guitar with 335 overdrive. I liked it so much!! Couldn’t resist to share with you. The only regret that its being so short video. Wanted it never end!!

MotherNight

Hi, long time lurker here. I am interested in these two pedals. Can anyone give impressions of the 335 vs the holy grail? Why do you like one more than the other? What are the differences in sound? Could you cop of the sound of the 335 using the Holy Grail? I'm having difficulty pulling the trigger one way or the other and sound demos never quite seem to do it for me.

snoop335

Hi Mothernight - sorry for a late response. I've been totally occupied with work related topics for weeks and have hardly found the time to monitor what's been going on at TGP.

I own both: The 335 and the Holygrail Small Box (and the original Holygrail). Clearly, my favorite is the Holygrail Small Box. I love it for it's versatility and dynamics - and for it's overall tone. I'm all after THAT edge-of-breakup tone. To me, the 335 is inferior when it comes to slightly more driven tones: It gets a bit too compressed and looses the dynamic response to the pick attack. You do get a nice singing tone, though. I have to say, the 335 does a stellar job when it comes to delivering a clean boost. This is how I use it on my board. It's so good in doing this, that it found a permanent spot there. I tend to stick with the "open" setting of the 335 switch, while I use all 3 clip modes of the Holygrail, dependent on what tone I want.

Using the 335 into the Holygrail is a match made in heaven, as it offers so many different flavours of tone. That is why I was considering the Holygrail Dual as a single box solution: It combines the 335 and the Holygrail in one box. But the Dual doesn't have the high cut switch for the Holy Grail channel - which I absolutely love and I feel like I can't live without it. Both settings are super-cool and I use them both, even with the same guitar. It's not a set-and-forget switch. It's a powerful tool to shape the tone you're looking for.

If I had to choose just one of my pedals to go with my amp, it would be the HolyGrail (Small box): I love it's edge of breakup tone, the clean boost, the versatility... everything's great about the pedal.

One more thing to consider: both pedals get substantially "better" if you run them at 18v: More headroom and clarity overall. While I can also use the HolyGrail at 9v for more gritty tones, I tend not to be so happy with the 335 at 9v.

Now all that said, have a listen to the great demos from Martin (wow!), John and others of their 335. Sounds excellent under their fingers. Maybe it's me preferring the feel of the Holygrail with my style of playing, guitar and amp (Glaswerks Zingaro + ES 335 or P90 Tele).

Hope this was helpful. LMK if you need more details.

snoop335

Here’s the demo of DR335 double 335 overdrive channel pedal. My try on playing Casiopeia Domino Line

Hi Martin, I have not yet found the time to thank you for posting this demo. Great sound and very nice playing. It does very well represent what I hear in my 335: Singing and nicely sustaining tone when driven. Still, I prefer the 335 as a almost clean boost and use the HolyGrail for more driven tone, as it does respond so superbly to the the pick attack. It's so dynamic. Combining the the 335 and the HolyGrail is my ideal setup. Wouldn't want to miss either of the two pedals.

Keep up the good work and my apologies for remaining so quiet these days. My day job eats up all of my time...

guitar29

Gold Supporting Member
I can't really add anything to what's already been said over these 9 pages. The Holy Grail Dual Drive is really 1 hell of a nice pedal and built like a tank. I had it 5 days after ordering all the way from Russia. I've owned it for about a month now and I couldn't be happier. I also own a Dude, Ethos Overdrive, Van Weelden Royal Overdrive, Dumbledore, Dumkudo, Zen Drive, Jrad HRM, Gladio and a few other D style pedals. The Gtown is really, really nice and extremely versatile. It does a lot more than just the D thing and the 2 sides in series are a thing of beauty. Do yourself a favor and order one.

snoop335

I can't really add anything to what's already been said over these 9 pages. The Holy Grail Dual Drive is really 1 hell of a nice pedal and built like a tank. I had it 5 days after ordering all the way from Russia. I've owned it for about a month now and I couldn't be happier. I also own a Dude, Ethos Overdrive, Van Weelden Royal Overdrive, Dumbledore, Dumkudo, Zen Drive, Jrad HRM, Gladio and a few other D style pedals. The Gtown is really, really nice and extremely versatile. It does a lot more than just the D thing and the 2 sides in series are a thing of beauty. Do yourself a favor and order one.
Thanks Guitar29 for sharing your thoughts. Happy to see the group of HolyGrail enthusiasts is still growing. Would love to have a HolyGrail Dual Drive myself, mainly for the form factor. But having a Holy Grail Small Box as well as a 335 I should be able to cover all bases. Plus I have the HiCut switch on the Small Box (that is missing on the Dual Drive). And I can experiment with running the HG into the 335 or do it the other way around... Hahaha - I guess, this is what they call "first world problems". Either way - even after many months of owning the HolyGrail, it still feels like owning the holy grail of D-Style pedals. You can't go wrong with it. And let's not forget the fact that Martin is such a nice person to deal with.

Last edited:

martingt

Gold Supporting Member
Hello everybody,
Here’s some update on Gtown. We’ve got to the “That Pedal Show”. Our Holygrail DualDrive been selected by Mick and Daniel for TPS pedalboard to be used by Mick at the Neville Marten’s show in 27th of February

Here’s the YouTube link below for TPS video. It’s almost 1,5 hour long. For the Holygrail DualDrive time step at the 42 min of video.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom