G10 Golds vs Weber 10A125

kwicked

Gold Supporting Member
In a SF Vibrolux. What would be the main differences? Subjective tone descriptions welcome!
I've checked out the relevant threads and reviews so looking for some pretty specific feedback from those who have actually played both in a 2x10 or 4x10 Thx and Happy Holidays!

Last edited:
The Gold is rounder, fuller... whereas the Weber is crisper, more forward-peaky.

May I ask what made you arrive at these two? They're quite different from oneanother, you see.

swiveltung

The Gold is rounder, fuller... whereas the Weber is crisper, more forward-peaky.

May I ask what made you arrive at these two? They're quite different from oneanother, you see.
I agree with this. I had 10f125's in a 68 Vibrolux last year. I liked them, but was still searching also, a bit too bright for me. Not had the golds in a Vibrolux though, but from what I've heard they are a bit warmer as mentioned.
Years ago I had two 10F150's in a vlux....nice but way too loud to use.

swiveltung

I agree with this. I had 10f125's in a 68 Vibrolux last year. I liked them, but was still searching also, a bit too bright for me. Not had the golds in a Vibrolux though, but from what I've heard they are a bit warmer as mentioned.
Years ago I had two 10F150's in a vlux....nice but way too loud to use.
Ahh crap! Just disregard.... I thought you said 10F125 not 10A125's...

kwicked

Gold Supporting Member
Lol, no worries and thanks for the responses. As to why those two, I have the 10A125s and love them, but wouldn't mind some additional headroom (efficiency). The sound is great, but if i were going to change, i would rather keep the same general tone or go toward warmer/fuller, definitely not more bright and i have a line on a couple of the Golds.
Didn't mention my goals cause that usually ends up with guys suggesting 100 speakers you didn't ask about ;)
Thx again and further discussion welcome!

Walter Broes

The Golds would be a lot louder, more efficient. More bottom end too. If you thought the F150's were too loud, the golds might very well be too loud too.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
I have 10A125's in my '60 Super; actually original P10Q's re-coned by Weber with the standard 10A125 kit & 30 watt voice coil and a pair of golds in my '64 Vibrolux Reverb. I've crossed each amp over to the others speakers and really didn't care for the P10Q in the Vibrolux or the golds in the Super. The golds sound amazing in the Vibrolux where they add some volume, mids and fullness. The Super is already loud, full and has great mids; where the golds sounded "congested".

kwicked

Gold Supporting Member
I have 10A125's in my '60 Super; actually original P10Q's re-coned by Weber with the standard 10A125 kit & 30 watt voice coil and a pair of golds in my '64 Vibrolux Reverb. I've crossed each amp over to the others speakers and really didn't care for the P10Q in the Vibrolux or the golds in the Super. The golds sound amazing in the Vibrolux where they add some volume, mids and fullness. The Super is already loud, full and has great mids; where the golds sounded "congested".
Perfect, exactly what i was looking for, thx!

jbinco

I completely agree with slider313. I have a pair of both Golds and 10A125, and found the Webers are a much better match in frequencies for the Tweed circuit, but the Golds for the blackface circuit.

The Golds also add a lot more volume and headroom.

Lol, no worries and thanks for the responses. As to why those two, I have the 10A125s and love them, but wouldn't mind some additional headroom (efficiency). The sound is great, but if i were going to change, i would rather keep the same general tone or go toward warmer/fuller, definitely not more bright and i have a line on a couple of the Golds.
Didn't mention my goals cause that usually ends up with guys suggesting 100 speakers you didn't ask about ;)
Thx again and further discussion welcome!
Weber do make a 150 (T-cone) version w. larger VC and way more magnet. Then these seamed cone speakers are quite low headroom to themselves and if SPL is what you're after I find Weber to perform rather low in this respect.

The WGS and Jupiter (made by WGS) have some that are rather loud and appears to be seamed cone ones. You could also consider going w. ceramic if headroom is prioritised.

Trending Topics