G12/50 Celestion Rola speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Matybigfro, May 10, 2008.

1. Matybigfro

Matybigfro Member

My mates dad has just found a couple of these old Celestion Rola G12/50 speakers in his warehouse
    Notsure how old but they look dated
    just wandering if anyone knows anything about them are they anygood should I offer to take them off his hands

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

They do sound good. Think a nice mix between a Greenback and a Vintage 30 for sound.

louis likes this.
  3. Matybigfro

Matybigfro Member

mnn cool
    I wondering how they would sound with my Laney vc30 which i use clean and with pedals for break up
    I'm wondering how they would sound in an open back cabinet that currecntly used the g12h 70th anniv celestions.
    also considering building a 2x12 cab for them andusing either as an extention cab or finding someone who would put the laney' combo amp in a head enclosure for me as carrying round a heavy combo is killing my back

4. major

major Member

A sealed closed back, on the order like the Mesa 212 or taller Bluesbreaker 212 cabinets would give you some punchiness with those speakers, if that is also what you looking for in hard rock and metal. I'm always for a sealed/closed back cabinet, a bit deeper than some I've seen (20") to capture what the bottom cabinet>412 produces.

5. Matybigfro

Matybigfro Member

so are
    the speakers sound in the range of a G12h with more wattage

6. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Somewhat. Most of the time's I've seen them, they have been in Orange cab's. Closed back will sound better with those speakers. They will sound in the same range as a G12H30.

7. Matybigfro

Matybigfro Member

Cool
    thanks for the info sounds like the sort of thing i'm looking for half way between vintage and modern
    do you think it will sit well with my 30watter
    and is it a upgrade from the anniversary g12h's in there that are nice but a bit harsh

8. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Much better than the Anniversary speakers. The anniversary version doesn't really sound like the original, to me. The Heritage version is much better. The G12 50's will sound more like the original.

9. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Does anyone know the weight of the magnet assembly of these?

10. tassos

tassos Member

This is an answer from Dr. Decibel from Celestion :
    Specifications
    Nominal diameter (‘’) 12 Voice Coil material Round Copper
    Power rating (W) 50 Magnet type Ceramic
    Nominal impedance (Ω) 15 Magnet weight (oz) 50
    Sensitivity (dB) 98 Frequency range (Hz) 60-5000
    Chassis type Pressed Steel Resonance frequency, Fs (Hz) 77
    Voice coil diameter (‘’) 2
    My opinion, I think they sound great, more like a vintage G12H30. In the current Celestion line up, they sound close to Hertitage G12H30 55Hz or 75Hz.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  11. louis

louis Supporting Member

Yup ! Thats about it !

12. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

The 2" VC should give it a bit more push, I gather. Those 77 Fs Hz would have to be measured and not that of the cone free air resonance.

There also was a G12/75, often confused w. the T75, w. quite similar specs to the model discussed here.

tassos likes this.
  13. tassos

tassos Member

From Premier Guitar "The larger a voice coil diameter, the larger the mass of the piston. This basically shifts or narrows the frequency response. The result is more low end and less top end extension, while power handling also increases".
    I have mine in a closed back cabinet and it sounds a lot better than an open or semi open cab. The bass frequencies are now tight and focused.

14. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Yes, all things equal mass is likely to increase. However it does keep the VC cooler and a wider coil can be made shorter at the same power handling. The diamameter does increase the clean headroom slightly yet, as stated, lowers sensitivity by a bit. Usually, though, the perceived result is less aggression and a bit more push.

15. tassos

tassos Member

. Yes, i think now i can understand what you are trying to say. Sorry, English is not my main language :). The overall sound is warm but not boomy, with good definition in notes, it's difficult to sound harsh and yes, it's less aggressive than other speakers that i have tried. And with less aggression, the sound is more in the vintage side.

16. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Had a 4x12 with them.
    They sounded like a meatier Greenback with more compression than a G12-65.