1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

G12-65 opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Patch, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

Hi!

I found an old beat up home made cab. I decided to check what kind of speakers were inside and I found a quad of Celestion. It's written in black "ROLA-Celestion, Ipswich, England", G12-65, 15 ohms, on a white label. On the metal frame there's T 3054.

Didn't have the time to try them yet.

Are they good speakers? What year? Any idea of the value of these? Are they desirable?

Thanks for any information.:)

2. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

IMO, best damned speaker Celestion ever made. The Weber versions of it are great!:AOK

3. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

+1 about the Weber versions......I have two of them and they are great.

4. murkat

murkat I like sea otters

you'll hate them, you'll hate them sooo much that you'll end up sending them to me so I can rid you of those awful tone robbing speakers..... really. ;)

5. clunk

clunk Member

Love 'em.

Clunk

6. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

Fantastic speaker! (NO comparison to the G-12 70)

7. AlexF

AlexF Member

we've discussed this at length here before, nice speakers PROVIDED they have lead (1777) not Bass (444) cones.
    Al

8. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I know they're highly regarded but they seem to be mainly used in a 4x12 configuration. How do they perform in a 1x12 combo?

9. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

Robben Ford's Deluxe Reverb with a G12-65 sounds great, but anything he plays thru sounds good. I have a 70s Fender 2x12 small open back cab with G12-65s and they sound fantastic with my Fuchs or my Marshall 2061x.

10. el34power

el34power Member

can you elaborate... I know you have tried a crap load of cones. I would like you "tone" description, say compared to GB RI, emis...

11. JohnK24

JohnK24 Member

Aren't these the speakers that the Eminence Tonespotter is based on ?

J

12. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

The G1265 is similar sounding to a greenback but has less piercing highs than the greenback and G12H30. The large dustcone helps control the highs. Being rated at 65 wattts, it's still kind of crucnchy but holds together far better than a greenback. Some people refer to them as a darker speaker, but they work really well with my Marshall clones.

13. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Supposedly. Back when the tonespotters first came out we tried them and under high volumes, they had a wierd rubber band sound with certain notes around C, C#, and D. I thought they sounded similar to the G1265, but just seemed to be missing something. Who's to say, but maybe eminence fixed that issue by now???

14. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Hmmmm, the G12-65's may be a good choice for my pair of 1x12 wet cabs since the G12M's are my main dry tone.

15. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

I'm using a Weber alnico 1265 in an Earcandy 1x12 and it sounds great... tames the gainy high end of my Mesa and handles the Univalve very well. There is a noticeable difference b/w it and a GB. Check out Southbay Ampworks site for speaker sound clips. They make versions of the G12M, G12H and G12-65 that sound great in the clips and you can appreciate the difference b/w the three speakers as well...
    Enjoy!

16. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

I love them in a 4x12, hate them in a 1x12 combo.

17. muddy

muddy Member

for whatever reasons, the g12-50s gets passed over, which means you can usually get good deals (when you can find them). and what undiscovered gems they are! scotty turned me onto them. i have one in a 2x12 mini-slant with a scummy m75-8 on top, and it gives the smaller cab the girth of a 4x12; BIG sound!

ml

18. thesplawnster

thesplawnster Member

Isn't celestion supposedly making a reissue of the 65?

19. AlexF

AlexF Member

Yes its finally out now, I got called a terrible liar when I first reported it 12 months or so back. Its not worth the money though, the G12H30 is still a much better speaker...
    Al

20. conundrum

conundrum Member

I find that G12-65's are the ultimate speaker to mix and match with. Just put 2 in a 4x12 with 2 bright speakers and :drool Crunchy, articulate, thick midrange. Might not be bassy enough for some people, but that's what 8x10's are for.:AOK