G1265 in a MB Thiele?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by merkaba22, Apr 4, 2008.

1. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

I read somewhere recently in one of the other threads that the G1265 doesn't like closed backs.

Does anybody have experience with a G1265 in a MB thiele/ported cab?

2. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Maybe I can help a little. Not a true G1265, but a Scumback H75 LHDC 16 HP, which is a clone of sorts of the G1265, sounds great in one of my Theile ported cabs....and I mean really great! Like they were made for each other.

I also had 2 of Bob Reinhardt's R65H's in a closed back Mojo 2x12 slant and they also sounded very good. These are also kind of G1265 clones. I would expect similar results with the Celestions, I guess.

Can you tell I really like Ted Weber's drivers?:D

In my Boogie Theile cab though, I use only an EV12L....but I do that because it sounds so good and it's just the way it's supposed to be!

3. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

I think it would be open backed cabs they do not like.
    Open backed is far harder on a speaker.
    Also every marshall cabs with exception of combos (AFAIK) have all been closed.

4. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

I have a MB 2 x 12 -- half-open with the lower portion ported for a EV 12" (like the thiele MB 1x 12 cab but wider and deeper) and find the EVM-12L not so great for the OD sound since, for me, its harder to break up and still directional. Is the thiele cab that the G1265 Scumback clone sounds so good in similar to MB thiele?

5. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

Interesting since there are so many open-backed cabs that are loaded with Celestions these day - in fact my cab has a Celestions C90 (MB branded) in the open portion....

6. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

No your right you can find them in plenty of open backed cabs.

I guess I took your comment on the speakers not liking closed backs the wrong way.

If you meant they may not like it, as in they don't sound as good in a closed backed cab, then please disregard what I was saying.

I prefer open backed cabs and would probably like that speaker more in
    that environment myself.

I just meant from a working perspective that a closed backed cab is easier on a speakers cone.

Open backs will allow a speaker to throw it cone farther and make speakers work harder.

I thought you meant "like" as regards how hard or easy the speaker is made to work in a given environment.

Anyway sorry for the confusion on my part.

7. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I recently tried a G12-65 in a MB Theile and it sounded awful. A Emi Swamp Thing sounded great in that cab though. The Celestion sounded much better in a DR Z vert 2x12 or a Port City 2x12 Cab (My fav for the G12-65's)

8. bosstone

bosstone Member

G12-65s sound great in all kinds of cabs. They have a great reputation in JMPs and JCM 800 combos (#4104) and in are one of the best sounding Marshall 4 X 12" cab speakers. I have had them both those those ways, in Hiwatt 4 X 12" cabs, in Boogie MKIIC+s, detuned cabs etc. One of the beauties of these speakers is that they seem to like all kinds of cabs. I have never tired one in a Thiele cab but I don't see why they wouldn't work well there too. Of course a lot depends on the amp and what sound you are looking for.

9. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

A 65 in a thiele is too scooped sounding. I much prefer an EV200. It's the only cab I really like that speaker in.

10. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

Is that because the bass is emphasized in the MB thiele or are there other tunings in the cab that additionally reduce the mid-range?

Are you referring to the 1 x 12 MB thiele for this observation?