G12H-30's comparision

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rockon1, Jan 10, 2008.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well after extensive A/Bing of speakers thru my Supersonic(for the upcoming arrival of my empty 2x12 cab!) the G12H-30 is the smoothest warmest speaker I have.I compared them to a G12-65,V30,G12T-75,Tonespotters,Tonker, and a WGS CL80 clone. Either Ive got the two exceptions or most people it seems never listened to ones that were really broken in. Funny thing is they seem to have less mids than any of them-at least I could turn up the mids a lot more without it sounding muddy.However cranking up the mids on the SS brought back the growl that some of the speakers with more pronounced mids had -nice.
    Anyhow it just struck me funny when listening to them that people call these speakers bright even! I do remember when they were new being bright but I was so taken back at how smooth they have become(over the last 3 years)I had to share it. Im going to put them in my oversized 2x12 when it gets here and see how that goes. They might be too smooth alone. If they are I'll pop a G12-65 in one hole. My conclusion is if your g12H-30 doesnt sound warm and smooth it aint broken in enough! Bob

2. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Hey Bob,

How about breaking me in one...and I'll get it back from you in 3 years...if I don't forget about it. :)

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yeah sad but true! It was a long time-not sure when they got to the stage they are at now. I bought them about 3 years ago . They were leftover made in England stock and I remember complaining about them being harsh and icepicky. While doing doing the comparisions I realized just how much they had changed as Im usually running them with another speaker. Bob

4. bluetweed

bluetweed Supporting Member

I have 2 Fairly new G12h-30's that have 40-50 hours on them and are some of the best speakers I have ever owned. A lot of speakers break in quick some do not. Some Weber speakers never get a fair shake, but once broken in sound great. It takes time to really hear how a speaker will sound. My take is that the G12H-30 is one of the best out there , period. Bruno, Heritage and many other amp Manufactures who have great ears use this speaker and they use it for a reason. I love this speaker in a blackface circuit!
    I too was guilty of selling this speaker in the past before full breakin, but I will not make that mistake this time.

5. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I see wide ranging reviews for about every speaker out there. It just goes to show that it depends on the Amp, cab, speaker age, musician, etc....

I really like the G12H30. I traded a couple of G12H30 16ohms for some 8ohm G12H30's so I could run them in my Vox cab with my AC30CC1. Problem is the used 8ohms still need some break in time.....

6. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Well, my final thought on this is why buy a G12H and have to wait so long for it to break-in when you can just buy a Scumback H75 and it'll sound better right out of the box. That's what I ended up doing, I needed the extra wattage anyays (65).

7. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Are you guys talking about the Heritage G12H's or the 70th Anniversary G12H's that have been out for some time now?
    I personally love them but I do find them to have a loose bottom end and a somewhat ice-pick top that I cannot get around... I have had these four (made in England) in a Bogner 4x12 cab for 5 years now. They are well broken in.
    Now... The Vintage 30 has a slight midrange spike but does NOT have the high frequency spike of the G12H's. Is it just me??
    Anyone else hear this?

Keith

8. thegame

thegame Member

Thats exactly what I hear too Keith. BTW I got some G1265s and they are the bomb !

9. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Description in tone, Gary!!
    How do they compare to V30's and G12h's??

Hope your do'n great Bro!

Do you think the Larry Dino939 could cover ALL types of rock?
    I'm seriously thinking of ordering one.

Keith

10. thegame

thegame Member

PM sent.

11. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Scumback. I had the 70th Ann. G12H30 for a while, long enough to break it in sufficiently, then replaced it with an H75 and it immediately sounded like I always wanted the G12H to sound. After some period of time however (the scummies do continue to break in), I wonder if it's almost too smooth. I now have an extension cab with a G12H in it, and the H75 in my combo. Now there's a match made in heaven. It has the smoothness and even frequency range of the H75, but the bite of the newer G12H. No icepicks to be found here. Eventually the G12H will likely smooth out more, and if it's not growly enough I may look for another swap, but for now, this is "it".

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

G12H-30 anniversary model is what Im talking about. The icepick in mine are history. Its just a totally different speaker from what I remember. Bob

13. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

are you guys talking about the 55hz or 75hz G12H30? I need a recone and can't decide what to do. The soundclips on the Scumback site (H55 & H75) make the 75 sound better while the 55 seems muffled. What's you're experience? (444 stamped cones are the 55hz and the 1777 stamped cones are the 75hz cones - I think the English ones are 55s and the Chinese are 75s but I'm unsure).

14. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I was talking about the anniversary model -75hz (actually listed as 85hz) The 55hz is the Heritage G12H . One of these days I'll get around to trying the scummies but for the time being I dont feel the need. Bob

15. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

I think the old 70th Anniv. G12H are great speakers!

16. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Which G12H30? 55hz or 75?

17. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

I have a set of well-broken in 70th anniversary H30s in a 4x12, and they are great. However, I think they definitely sound better in a closed-back cab than an open back.

Steve

18. Erik

Erik Member

If you really like the tone of a broken in G12H30, why not call Dave at Avatar Speakers and order his Hellatone 30? It's a re-branded Celestion G12H30 that he breaks in for you...and charges less for it.

19. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I'm pretty sure everyone around here's has had at least one of those. They not REALLY broken in though, not like Bob's talking about.

20. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

I tried the Weber C1230 in both 75Hz and 55Hz cones and preferred the 75Hz version. I also like the Scumback H75 clips more than the H55 clips. So based on that (and what Jim recommended) I went with H75s. My Mojo BW 4x12 has two well-broken in G12H30 (70th Anni RI) and two Scumback H75s and I love how it sounds.