G12H-30's with a Fuchs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hollowbodyhead, Apr 18, 2008.

1. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

Anybody? Just wonderin'. I'm using 12-65's right now but I'd like a little more top end. Wadda' you think?

2. Boomer

Boomer Member

I'm using a pair of Anniversary G12H's in an open backed cab with my ODS-50.

Now take this with a grain of salt because my ODS is hand tuned and rigged specifically for a Strat rather than the way they normally come off the production line.

Two great players have been by in the last two weeks, (I am not a great player), one of them works for a Fuchs dealer and has played a stock ODS-50 quite a bit. Both were stunned by my little rig. The clean channel with the G12H's, to my mind, is closer to a Steel String Singer, sounding huge and clean with giant bottom end and incredible chime with three dimensional everything. The drive channel isn't quite as smooth as what you would normally associate with the ODS line but it's not as smooth in a good way.

I've tried this amp with an open back 112 loaded with a Gold and a 115 loaded with and Eminence Big Ben but the G12H's just kill.

I have a BJ21 with an Eminence RW&B in it and I'll try it with the ODS as soon as the speaker is broken in.

In the past, my favorite speaker with my older ODS's has been an EV SRO but this is a whole different world.

The cabinet the G12H's are in is the Bob Burt vertical 212 I've had for sale for some time. Now I don't think I can sell it.

Both of the guys trying the rig said, almost verbatin, "You would be crazy to change or, God forbid, sell any piece of that rig!"

While I love the ODS, and I've owned an early ODS-50, a later ODS-30 and a TDS-50, none of them have come close to this one. There has to be some special synchronicity between this ODS, this Burt cab, these G12H's and my Lentz SSL.

3. joejazzguitar

joejazzguitar Silver Supporting Member

I've tried a bunch of speakers with my ODS50, and the G12H30 Anniversary is my hands-down favorite. Definitely has more character and a sweeter top end than the EVM12's that I was using, but is much smoother and warmer that the Celstion Golds that I used for a while.

Just ordered a 2x12 Bruno cab loaded with G12H30's...can't wait to try that with my head!

joe

4. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Anyone know if you can have a TDS Hand tuned after the fact? Is it the same price?

6. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

HUH??? A little off track.:messedup

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Pardon me. Wasn't trying to hijack, it was a simple question that someone could answer in one post, just thought to ask because Boomer mentioned his being hand-tuned for strat.

Sorry it was taken as "messed up".

On track then, I have a Marshall 8412 cab, loaded with G12L's (4 of them). I have had contact with Celestion and they said it is just like the G12H's BUT with a smaller magnet which makes it less agressive and allows some breakup at lower volumes. So I don't know if this is of any use, but it is probably the best of the cabs I have tried with my TDS. Still I think a bigger factor (it seems to me) is whether I want closed or open back. I have an open back 2 x 10" (Eminence Legend) that is sounding even better.

Sorry if this isn't much help, but if the 12L is like the 12H-30, they sound pretty good to me. I'm still learning the amp though...

8. Boomer

Boomer Member

I thnk Andy charges the same either way but I'd check directly with him. Since he literally has to rebuild the amp he may charge a bit more for a completed amp.

Hand tuning and being set up for Strat are not the same thing. Hand tuning means getting selected components with closer tolerances which Andy selects and tunes the amp by ear.

Getting my amp set up for a Strat, and I'm just guessing here cause I never bothered to ask, involved fooling with the input impedence and Andy also added the "Eric Johnson" mod which added an extra pull pot on the amp which, I believe, shifts the center frequency of the mids and beefs up what it sees from a single coil. There are probably a couple other things he did and, again, you should email or call him.

Again, this amp sounds nothing like my two previous ODS's and one TDS. I was playing the first two ODS's with a McCarty so it's not a very good comparison. Unfortunately, my TDS showed shortly before a hurricane ripped my roof off and I didn't get very familiar with it before I had to sell it to pay for home repairs. (Of course, I didn't have power for almost a month and that made playing a bit difficult!)