G12H or G12M

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by xpenno, Jul 19, 2006.

1. xpenno

xpenno Member

Hi all,

I have spent a bit of time on Celestions website and tone selector and had decided that I would replace my V30's with G12M's in my Marshall cab.

I have done some further reading round and there seem to be quite a few comments regarding the G12H having a harsh top end, does everyone think this?

From the tone selector it sounds like the G12M has the harsh top end and the G12H has a more rounded tone.

I really like the tone of the G12H on the tone selector but I don't like a really harsh top end, to top it off I can't find any cabs locally that have the G12H fitted as standard to go and have a play on.

Any comments would be greatfully received.

Thanks

Spence

2. Ironman

Ironman Member

I've gradually been getting away from my V30's and am using GB's and Emminence Wizards (very similar to Celestion G12h30). I used to have the Celestion H30 anniv. speakers, tried the Wizards and preferred the Wizards to them.

Getting back to your H30 and GB questions. The H30's have a brighter high end, more lows and is a great sounding speaker. GB's have this woody kind of midrange are less efficient, creamier and less articulate at moderate volumes. Great speaker breakup but can seem blurry sometimes. I use weber beam blockers on my Wizards and that subtly diffuses the high end, works great! If you like the tone of the H30's, maybe check out the Wizards. Also consider beam blockers if the highs are too piercing for you. Going easy on the treble/presence helps too. Tough descision between the two, that's why I've got both flavors. Good luck!

3. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Ah the great speaker chase. I bought two G12H and really think it is the best all-around speaker for multiple applications. I don't think it is over the top in the upper frequencies. I also purchased 4 chinese greenback G12M recently and do not like them all that much in a 4 x 12. The gentleman I bought them from had a 73 marshall cab with the old rolla G12M and said they blew the new ones away of course age has something to do with it. I prefer the G12H over the G12M.

I also use a 4 x 12 with two G12-T75 blended and the G12H has adds some mid-high buttery wood when compared with the 75's which are laid back in most frequencies but less mid heavy to my ears. The V30s are an enigma, that weird cone doping and alnico based tone only work well with tube rectified amps that have sag IMO. Everthing else seems to be louder and a bit mid-sterile probably due to the increased efficiency and wierd doping. I was about to dump my recto cabinet until I dropped an AC30CCH on top which works very well with the V30s 4 x 12 closed back.

4. el34power

el34power Member

Interesting... I just swaped 2 red fangs for 2 greenbacks in my 4x12. Now i have 4 Greens...I don't really like it! There is something missing. I think the Fangs are going back in. I too have been wondering about H30's with the greens. I also still have 4 G12M70's lying around. Has anybody compared the M70's with H30's?

5. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

I've been wanting to pull two G12M out of the 4 x 12 and put in the two G12H in an "X" pattern. I will try to post my observation results. Strat69 swears by his Fangs which I too have been in wonton of some true alnico blue based speakers as my final speaker frontier. My problem is I notice open backed cabs seem to work better with the alnico vs. closed back. If anyone has experience with closed/open back alnico and can cite the differences please let me know.

6. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I quite like the X pattern of M's and H's in a 4x12. I use the Scumbacks now, which sound much better than the current Celestion offerings IMO. But before I used those, I did the X pattern in 4x12 and 1 ea in 2x12's.

Now it's 2 2x12's with Scumback M/H mix.

7. bo13bo

bo13bo Member

don't mean to jack the thread as people are posting about the red fangs. Personally I have found the fangs suck for my application. My amp is basically an el84 matchless/bad cat type amp and I've heard someone quote Sampson or Jamison saying that the V30 / Greenback combo worked better than the Alnico Blues for their amps.

I guess what I mean to say is that on paper a lot of it is BS! The only way to know is to try it out with your amp.

8. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Yes, I have observed the Fangs being bright with Strat69's Hayseed. He thinks it is amp, maybe it was the speakers? In either case it's all trial and error when it comes to finding Valhalla with associated equipment. I'll still cast my vote for the chineses G12H anniversary right now with the V30 a distant second. My 1980s english made G12T75 is somwhere in between. Chinese G12M not sure about. Next purchase will be a Tone Tubby, Celestion Blue or maybe I will look at the scumbacks since I am hearing good things from folks.

9. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I have no issue with the current celestion offerings. I think they're fine. Especially if you like V30's. There is no other offering to match (though I do think the Emi Governor is a good V30 alternate). But to me, the Scumbacks were just several cuts above. I was happy with the Cele's until I heard the 'backs. Just a vast improvement. Nothing earth shattering from the engineering standpoint as far as I know, but they sound like REAL 60's celestions, without the fatigue.

10. el34power

el34power Member

Well, here is how i sort of see it in terms of a darker to brighter scale for a few cele speakers... Maybe someone that has ABCDE'd these can re organize this...

G12M25........ Blue having a bit of all of them
    G12T75
    C90/ CL80
    G12M70
    G12H30
    V30

11. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

I'll second your excellent observation. The darker G12T75 in my opinion works well with the brighter late 70s and early 80s Marshall tops and I believe that's why they used them then, not an overly colorful speaker, more like a laidback gentlemans greenback.

G12H all that the vintage 30 should have been.

G12M the wood I hear about must be amp specific. Inefficient wattage sucker with minimal bass.

12. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Truth so pure.:)

13. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Where would the 12-65's fit into that list?? I've never heard the the 65's and am interested in them!

14. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I had a Marshall cab with Greenies. Never liked it. Might have been better with a lower wattage amp...

I'm interested in these G12H's as well. Called the ultimate Marshall speakers?

And V30's I have love/hate with. Hated them with my Triamp and Superfly, but the Egnater seems to love them...

15. Ricker

Ricker Member

Well this is the thing.....No cab is gonna do everything.
    I think a V30 cab is part of the package.........a G12h30 is another I use.....and then for something outside of those ...some low wattage alnico's and then I think you've got most things covered.

I find the g12h30 brighter and more detailed on the top with a nice warm Bottom......not as tight as the v30 and more scooped sounding.
    The speaker seems to accentuate your pick attack.........and really dig this speaker for clean stuff and some mild dirt.............
    For the drive and hi gain sounds...........V30s do this wonderfully.
    As the gain increases.......one's sound often thins out or loses it's ability to sit fat in a mix.............v30s seem to address these problems and keep things nice and tight on the low-end too...............but they seem a bit boring for clean stuff

Cheers
    Rick

16. xpenno

xpenno Member

Thanks for your thoughts I think I will have to find a G12H loaded cab to testdrive, it does sound like they are what I am looking for.

I know it's a long shot but does anyone have any first hand experience of the differences between the vintage, vintage reissue and the heritage models of the G12H?

Thanks again.

Spence

17. el34power

el34power Member

hmmm i might have to be the first to put 4 different speakers in a cab.
    G12M,G12H,V30,Blue:worried

18. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

That's what I've been thinking...

19. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

I've been wondering about this line up for years. Thanks for the info.

Steve

20. killer blues

killer blues Member

Mike,

is that comparison to the regular or heritage celestions?