• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

G12H30 and Blue.....blue is louder

TREV FLINT

I have a 2x12 Top Hat Super Deluxe that I have been swapping speakers with. I want to keep the G12H30 in and I am trying to decide if I want to keep the Celestion Blue or Vintage 30 with it. I notice that the Blue is louder then the G12H30 when they are loaded together. Not sure if this is a good thing. To those of you who have a Blue and G12H30 together, are you happy with the results?

Lespaulsignature 74

Gold Supporting Member
How many watts does your amp put out? The C. Blue is rated for 15 watts only, the G12H30=30 watts and the V30=60 watts. The G12H30 & V30 both have a sensitivity rating of 100db. I have a mix of G12H30 and V30 and it's a good mix because you get big bottom end from the G12H and you get the mids and top end from the V30.

therhodeo

They both have 100db sensitivity ratings. I would guess that the Blue's perceived volume is somehow louder.

Ricker

How many watts does your amp put out? The C. Blue is rated for 15 watts only, the G12H30=30 watts and the V30=60 watts. The G12H30 & V30 both have a sensitivity rating of 100db. I have a mix of G12H30 and V30 and it's a good mix because you get big bottom end from the G12H and you get the mids and top end from the V30.

The v30 actually has a rolled off top-end but a big upper mid freq bump.
The Celestion blue is the one with the extended top-end.
The blue has a wider freq response as oppossed to the narrower V30s

I would say v30 and g12h30 to cover more options and maybe better for more overdrive sounds.... but the g12h30 and blue for bluesier/cleaner sounds will be stunning and you will get a bit more speaker compression as the cab will only be rated at 30watts..........
The g12h30 is a little more mid scooped sounding than the Blue so the Blue will be percieved as sounding louder but it shouldn't be too lop sided.

R

Floor

I use a combo of Blues and G12H30 in one of my cabs and it's working just fine, an d Vintage 30's will as well. Greenbacks is not working though, due to the lower sensitivity.

dakotajones

I posted a similar thread a few days ago. I ended up pairing a blue alnico with the 55Hz, 100db Greenback Heritage (the more expensive greenback). Best sounding cab i own. Great response from the low-end to the clear, sparkly highs. The blue does seem a bit louder, but only from close range. I also have a G12H Annivesary i may check out someday, but i'm happy with my current combo.

jay42

I notice that the Blue is louder then the G12H30 when they are loaded together.
I wonder if there's a problem with the G12H30...or is the blue a bit beamier? I would guess that the 100dB spec is an average and subject to manufacturing variations. No chance they're not both the same impedance?

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
I know a former Celestion engineer. He told me the Cele Blue is actually a 102db speaker, whereas the G12H30 is around 100db, as is the V30. The Century is even louder than those, due to it's design.

Mixing a G12M RI with a Blue will probably have the G12M getting put in the background volume wise, since it's rated at 98db.

jay42

I know a former Celestion engineer. He told me the Cele Blue is actually a 102db speaker, whereas the G12H30 is around 100db, as is the V30.
That explains everything. So would it help to put a beam blocker on the Blue? The OP could test it with a coffee can lid or duct tape.

Floor

The blue does seem a bit louder, but only from close range.
Of cause, the Alnico Blues speakers have more high frequencies and G12H30's more lowend and high frequency soundwaves doesn't travel as far as low frequency soundwaves, meaningthat the speaker with most treble, will be louder when you/the mic is close to and the speaker with more lowend is going to be the loudest at a longer distance. Also the positive/negative interference of the shorter soundwaves (treble) is gonna concentrate the sound in directe lines from the speaker and the lowend is spread more even across the stage.

Trending Topics