1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

G12H30 anniversary (not Heritage) Sound good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by protoangel, Dec 14, 2005.

1. protoangel

protoangel Member

Not wishing to :horse BUT....

I'm just weighing up the pros and cons of going for the cheaper version (i.e. non-Heritage).

Are the tonal differences significantly different? the reason I'm going for the G12H is for the smoothness, especially for overdrive/hi-gain tones

The G12H Heritage low res version appears to be the sonic nirvana, however I'd like your educated opinions please!

CELSETION SAY:

Re-released ten years ago for our 70th anniversary, the G12H evokes the sounds of the classic 1960s and ’70s rock bands.

Loud and proud thanks to its heavy magnet structure, the G12H provides a fusion of the Vintage 30 and the Greenback characteristics, producing a thick, warm and syrupy sound while still retaining a tight and focused bottom end.

When played clean, the speaker remains clear and musical without ever sounding harsh. In overdrive, pick attack is vividly articulated with sustained notes trailing off into warm harmonic tones...

AND ABOUT THE HERITAGE:

The new Celestion G12H is a perfect recreation of the low resonance model, right down to the voice coil former material, glue formulations and vintage, solder-only tag panel. Suitable for use in all cabs, it exudes thick, syrupy tones with a deep, growling bottom end.

Thanks guys

2. Giga

Giga Member

I can not recall where it was but about a year ago I heard some comparison clips between those two and I remember I actually liked the Chinese speakers better. To make matters worse: I also can't remember what it was I liked better, I just remember I preferred the cheaper ones.

One of the more intelligent posts this has become :-(

Giga.

3. protoangel

protoangel Member

LOL... I can't recall what my question was!

My friend was giving the thumbs-up to the Chinese ones having tried both (and he'll always get the more expensive one!)

That said, I think he's getting the Heritage ones when funds allow :rolleyes:

4. Blueser

Blueser Member

I am running a pair of 70th Anniversary G12H30s in my Germino 2x12 cab with my Constellation. These are the made in England versions before they moved to China. I think they sound incredible. They can be a bit bright with some amps, but the bottom end is huge, and they sound sweet in the upper mids. They are certain keepers for me!

I have also owned the Chinese versions in other combo amps, and I never thought they sounded different, other than the fact that they weren't really broken in yet. I think the Chinese Celestions are good, though I was very skeptical in the beginning!

5. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I think the 70th Anni. G12's sound great. The description Celestion put down sounds right to me. I've been using the 70's for years and I'm very happy with them. Haven't heard the Heritage's yet, though.

6. JWR

JWR Member

I think they sound better than several current production Celestions. That said, I bought 4 of them 4 months ago and sold them 1 month ago on Ebay for about 1/2 of their purchase price. I think they stay clean longer, so the breakup I personally look for was not there at the volume I wanted it to be. I did not care for the low end. I think Celestion missed the mark on this design, the old G12H30's sound different. I bought 4 Scumback SA12H75's, put them in the same cab and I personally like them better.

7. protoangel

protoangel Member

Hiya JWR.. Can you elaborate on this? Too flabby? Not enough bottom end? Too "boosted"?

Thanks

8. JWR

JWR Member

It's been a few weeks since I have heard them, but I felt, when loaded into a 4x12 straight bottom, that there was some low end muddiness or lack of clarity. I thought they sounded better in a slant 4x12 as they have a bit less thump to the cabinet. I believe the older G12H30 were a bit more balanced. The highs were nice but a bit overbearing as well and did not seem to be a smooth transition from mid to high.

Note that the g12H30 has more lows, less mid, more highs: while the greenback has less lows, more mid, less highs. I know that to an extent, my ears were more accustomed to Greenbacks at the time, but I dinked with these speakers with a Mojave Peacemaker, a Soldano, Two Super Leads, and Two 2204's and they took 3rd place between 3 speaker types I have at home,.... every time.

Note that this is just my opinion and others may just love these.

9. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

And what came in 1st and 2nd for you? :)

10. protoangel

protoangel Member

Cool... thanks for that detailed reply!

11. protoangel

protoangel Member

Hmm... Having read E DeGenaro's posts about the Greenback, I might have to get both! (Though I'm a bit nervous about cranking my Hiwatt 50 through basically 50 watts of speakers):rolleyes:

12. JWR

JWR Member

Y'know, I've owned both the DR504 and a couple of DR103's and I'm not sure how the new Greenback would do. I bet they break up really early. Those are the 20 watt ones right? The whole concept of the Hiwatt is to stay cleaner longer, so the more efficient higher wattage rated speaker would probably be a better match. There are many varieties of the G12H30 now. Weber and Scumbag have 4 models between them, Celestion has two, Eminence must have a couple.