G12h30 mixed with Vintage 30 in a 2x12

fechart

Hi, I would like to do this with my two EVH 212s, that are already loaded with G12h30 s.

I want one G12h and one V30 in each cab.

The issue is that the V30s would be 60 W, while the G12Hs are 30. The V 30s would be 8 ohms, as well as the G12Hs.

Any advice on doing this? Cons? Can I just replace one G12H with a V30 doing connections the same way?

Thanks in advance!

Heady Jam Fan

You can definitely do that! No problem with the V30 handling more power, just replace one G12H30 with a V30. You will have a bit more midrange bite and more of a modern tone in general. G12H30's always remind me of Hendrix, who I love, but V30's are more my tone personally. Its a nice combo - I've done that in a 212 as well.

Rumble5

Yeah, no problem. That's a common pairing. Just make sure you realize that each cab would be a 60 watt cab. Run much more power through it and you'd run the risk of blowing the G12H30.

Stan Malinowski

Gold Supporting Member
Avatar just built a 212 cabinet with this speaker combo.

You can buy a MultiPort Input Plate from them. It has 3 jacks & allows the following combinations (assuming each speaker is 8 ohms): 1) Stereo, speakers are seperate jacks, each with a 8 ohm load 2) 4 ohm parallel wired and 3) 16 ohm series wired..

fechart

Thanks for the info. I think the V30s will give me some muscle, a stronger midrange, while the G12Hs will contribute with their sparkle

fechart

What I don't know if the difference will be subtle or prominent. The cabs are closed back

fechart

Mmmm... Perhaps I'm youtubing too much, but in every demo I see the V30s don't have less sizzle than the G12h30s. Part of what I pretend of the combination is to tame the highs...

ugameus

Silver Supporting Member
The only way to know is to try it for yourself. I think they are a great combo. It will sound different in the room you are playing vs. youtube videos.

fechart

Hi, I hear a kind of sizzle inherent to the EVH, I know its a trebly amp, but no matter how you dial it you can't get rid of that. I suspect the G12h30 s are contributing in this sense. I also feel the amp a bit scooped, that's why i thought of the mix with the V30s.

Previously I was thinking of replacing the G12h30 s with Creambacks, but i don't want the muddy character of those.

I'll have to try...

BTW i play in a huge empty basement. Cabs on the floor. Usually I stand about 6-8 ft away and I stay away from the direct sound of the cabs, mainly because this tames that sizzle a lot

ugameus

Silver Supporting Member
If the high end sizzle is an issue for you I would suggest trying a G12-65 style speaker. It definitley tames that sizzle. The G12-65 has a large dust cap which contributes to the taming of the high end. To me, the G12H30 has strong bass and treble while the V30 has strong mid range and that is why I think they mix well together. Pairing the V30 and G12H30 together does not remove the high end. It does change the way you hear it because you have other frequencies you are hearing at the same time.

Again, the best way to decide is to listen for yourself.

Heady Jam Fan

The G12H30 definitely has more sizzle to my ear and less of that upper midrange spike that the V30 has. The V30 is fairly dark in the higher frequencies beyond that upper midrange. I think this is why they are combined and complement each other. Its pretty easy to swap a speaker into a cab and take a listen though.

As Ugameus said, there are other speakers that might also be a good complement. I'd include Gold (or Gold clones), and G12-80 / C90 / Steamboat Hemp 100.

MissoulaGriz

Don't discount the WGS ET65 as a great speaker to pair with a V30. It fills in the lows and the highs quite nicely. It's also rated at 65 watts. The V30 handles the mids. It's a complete sonic spectrum and you'll have a higher wattage cab for larger heads if needed.

fechart

Still concerned about the high end sizzle. What about a combination of one G12h30 and one Creamback? CBs are midrangey, warm, lots of bottom end and sweet highs, not fizzy at all.

A friend o'mine has 2 CBs in a 2x12 and they sound pretty congested with the EVH, but perhaps mixed with the G12h30s... Don't know, my only fear is that these two are so different that the cab might sound weird...

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
Still concerned about the high end sizzle. What about a combination of one G12h30 and one Creamback? CBs are midrangey, warm, lots of bottom end and sweet highs, not fizzy at all.

A friend o'mine has 2 CBs in a 2x12 and they sound pretty congested with the EVH, but perhaps mixed with the G12h30s... Don't know, my only fear is that these two are so different that the cab might sound weird...
I'm running a Cream M and a Cream H together in a Matchless ESD to break thru the the "congestion" and the results have been excellent.

Speeddemon

By the way, it makes a huge difference whether you're talking about a G12H30 70th Anniversary or a G12H30 55Hz (Heritage) (Greenback).
I have 2 original 55Hz (pre-Rola) from Apr. '71) and they're anything but harsh in the top end.
I also had the 70th Anniv's, and they sounded more scooped and less chunky.

fechart

By the way, it makes a huge difference whether you're talking about a G12H30 70th Anniversary or a G12H30 55Hz (Heritage) (Greenback).
I have 2 original 55Hz (pre-Rola) from Apr. '71) and they're anything but harsh in the top end.
I also had the 70th Anniv's, and they sounded more scooped and less chunky.
G12h30 70th Anniversary

Trending Topics