1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

G12H30 users ( drop me a line...need help)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi guys,

Okay, I realize I need to get rid of the G12T75's in my Marshall cab and upgrade to G12H30's. I play alot of Hendrix.
    Could those of you who use these speakers introduce me to them, and explain to me what the most dramatic changes I will encounter when usiing them as opposed to the G12T75's.
    Also, since we are being critical here, please let me know if they have any short commings as well.
    I have heard the sound clips from Celestion....now I want the players unbiased opinions.
    All I know so far, is that they are 30 watts a piece. that's 120 watts for my 4X12. Is the breakup extreme or is there a fair amount of headroom?
    I pay clean stuff to, and I was wondering about this factor.
    Thanks for your time and help,
    Mass

2. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I own a 1960A cabinet. Hated the GT75s, put in four G12H30s.

Amps used have been a Marshall DSl 100, Fender Prosonic, 68 Bassman; right now I have a Fargen Epic 30 and Marshall JCM800.

As far as cleans, rich, smooth, can sound thin with certain guitars, but for the most part I would say cleans are great.

Overdrive. Where do I begin. Smooth, crunchy, textured rock tone.

They are my favorite Celestion for the clean/moderate rock stuff. For real high gain, I think the lead 80s have more articulation, but the G12H30 is my speaker of choice.

I also don't drive my amps hard enough to destroy the speakers. I get some speaker breakup, but that ads to the tone, that crunchy feel.

3. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Yes,
    The cab is a modern 4X12. Do you think that replacing the back with birch would make that much of a difference in tone of these speakers?
    Tell me more about this, please. If I don't have to drop the coin, that would be great.:)
    From what I have heard, the G12T75's aren't savable.:messedup
    Tell me more, please.
    Peace,
    Mass

4. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

No the press board back is barely audible I have switched and it was barely worth it. Speakers are ten times as noticeable as the back material. Modern Celestion G12H30s don't cut it for a authentic Hendrix tone. Those aren't the speaker he used in anything except name. He started out with G12H25-75 and then later used G12H30-55 speakers. The closest you'll get is Scumbacks SA12H30-55. You can change the back and the grill cloth to a basketweave for more high end filtering.

5. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

So what do you get with the modern G12H30's??
    Thanks,
    Mass

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Bright at first then not as much after break in.Still not a really warm speaker. Nice low end,fairly even response but a bit of a "push" in the top end. Very beamy. Not a good fit for a bright amp. Probably excellent for a darker sounding amp though..........Its really about finding the right speaker for an amp. Trying to figure what speaker works with an amp goes beyong general descriptions and is a PITA sometimes!

7. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

LOL!
    I have a Marshall 1959 SLP RI w/ out the fx loop.
    The 4X12 has the G12T75's.
    Here is the weird part of all of this........
    The 1959 SLP has a great set of 6L6GC's in it, rather than the EL-34's.
    The 6L6GC's sound very different in a Plexi circuit...believe me when I say this, it really sounds nice.
    I have a good set of high end effects and a great strat w/ CS 69's.
    Maybe all of these componets combined has granted me the tone I was shooting for so much.
    When I play to a Jimi CD......The tone is REALLY, REALLY close!! I have been listening to him for 30+ years so I am critical there.
    So the tone is REALLY close, but just a "HAIR" shy.
    I was thinking it was the speakers. That's why I started this post.
    People keep telling me I can't get far with the G12T75's.
    Thanks for the help,:BEER
    Mass

8. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

+1 :AOK

I have tried 6L6s in a Plexi circuit too bright and too bassy not enough mids. I don't think it will sound all that good with G12H's, it would probably sound better with old greenbacks with really thick mids. But I would consider changing to KT66 tubes in your Plexi to get closer, warmer lows and more mids then 6l6 but not all mids like a EL34.

9. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

May I ask what mods have to be done to accept KT-66's? :confused:
    Thanks,
    Mass

10. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

switch the impedence selector to 8 ohms and a KT66 equipped OT wouldnt hurt either.

11. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Interesting responses. I have G12H320s in my Zinky 2x12, for use with my fargen Epic 30 (vox ac30 copy) but I don't find them too bright at all.

Just a nice jangle, then warm crunch with pedals.

Must be my guitars or tubes taming the highs.

12. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Vox is supposed to be bright a Hendrix tone Plexi isn't.

13. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly.
    You say to set the impedence selector to 8 ohms from the 16 it is currently set at?
    With the four 16 ohm 75 watt speakers, is it okay to switch to the 8 ohm selector setting?
    If I do this, what difference should I expect to experience?
    How will the G12T75's be effected?

.....As far as installing a KT-66 OT, if I need to install a specific OT to accept the KT-66's, I'll probably wait on that one because when I am ready to go that far I will probably be either making MAJOR improvement mods to the head overall, or buying a JTM 45/100 from Metro.

My best to ya,
    Mass