G12H30 vs. G12M25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by S.A.M., Apr 30, 2008.

1. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Which do you guys prefer, and why? How do they differ (tone wise), and how are they similar (tone wise). I think I'm going to get an Avatar Vintage 4x12 and am leaning towards the G12M25, but was also considering the G12H30.

2. frank4001

frank4001 Member

I just went through this and some other Celestion type comparisons. I found G12H's ( Weber 55hz and a and Old G12H re-cone) too bright. I just got a a Marshall 1936 cab together with 2 older G12m's and its what I was looking for. I got the cab for a JTM45 and TW Express type amp. Wether 50 watts holds up is another story but I have good re-builders around here. They have a better clean sound than I thought but if you don't turn down quite enough the can lack some clarity(and I do need some)...Its there though..Havn't used it with a band just yet but I'm pretty sure its going to work. The 25 watters are not nearly as loud as the H's and I didn't think the two mixed well because of that. Overall I just like them better with these amps. I have Dr.z RXES combo with them and that's a good match also in my opinion.

3. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

to me the M25 sounds like that bouncy percussive bubbly mid range honky crunch! think Van Halen, George Lynch, Hendrix..

The H30 to me is Paul Kossof and Tony Iommi.

only way I can think to describe it.

4. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

5. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

^
    Paul Rogers reminds me of the Geico caveman

6. hamfist

hamfist Member

M's are mid-heavy, with earlier speaker break-up. Still a sweet treble response, but with not so much bass.

Celestion's H's are all bass and treble, with a much more defined mid-scoop, and can be particulaly harsh until they have been broken in for many, many hours of loud playing.

For an assortment of styles, I definately prefer the M's, in a closed back cabinet.
    I will, however, say that the Scumback H75 is an absolutely beautiful speaker, and is far sweeter, and with more mids than either of Celestion's current H offerings. The Scumback also sounds ace pretty much straight out of the box, although it does break in and become a little less bright over the first 10-20 hours of playing.

7. jw71

jw71 Member

If you want H's, then get the Scumbacks. I've got two of them in an Avatar cab and they sound MUCH better then the Celestions that were in there.

Sorry, not much experience with the M's.

8. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

In a 4X12 I'd go with M's.
    But it depends on you and your amp.
    You may want to consider G-12-65's too,a very nice speaker.

Ps in the Stone Pony videos on our myspace page below I am using heritage G-12-m's in a semi-open 2X12 and Germino Club 40. There are clips with an R4 and Nocaster.

9. digital jams

digital jams Member

What type of amp and music do you play?

10. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Hard rock/ metal. No NU Metal though. Its going to be for a Caswell JCM 800.

11. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Honestly, I think you would do well with either. They both have their place. The above descriptions are accurate. Although, I don't quite agree with G12H30s having a scooped midrange. Yes, they are more scooped than the G12M, but, my ears find that to be because it has more lows and highs. Still plenty of mids there, IMO. They also mix well together. Some differ on that because there is a 3dB difference in sensitivity between the two - but, once the amps at a good volume they mix really well.

12. hamfist

hamfist Member

haha, Sickboy, I know you're referring to me. I'm sure we must have very opposing views in what we want from speakers. In other threads I remember you saying how much you liked the old 70's blackback G12h-30 55Hz speakers. Whereas to me, those speakers were the worst I have ever heard. Those G12H's have utterly NO mids to my ears. I will admit to being a mids freak though. :BEER

13. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Not at all bro! :BEER Quite a lot of folks say the same as you. Yeah, I really do like those 70s G12H30 55Hz a heck of a lot, as well as the 70th Anny's too! But, we all hear things different. I'm a huge midrange guy as well - but, we probably hear it a bit different. It's all good bro!

14. Ironman

Ironman Member

Both are awesome speaker's. Depends on your gear and what tone you're going for. I'm in love with both the Heritage H30's and M's. The H's have a deep chunky tone that's articulate, the M's have a woody sweet midrange, less chunk than the H's. In an all birch cab they both deliver the classic rock tones we all love. BTW, I don't find the H30's too bright at all in my Mojo cab, they're very articulate with a nice high end. In my Marshall 1960 cab...not so hot. It's the all birch cabs that'll brings out the best in 'em.

15. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

My experiences are only with british made G12M-25 reissues (a few years old now) which I absolutely love and british made G12H 70 th anniversaries which I have bought on 2 separate occassions thinking I'd like them. I just can't get into the G12H. Tried twice, broken in for quite a long time, but never really had the magic of the g12H. They lack mids and the treble is a bit harsh too IMO.

taco

16. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

So if these speakers compliment each other so well, how come I don't hear of anyone mixing them? Just wondering...because I'm thinking of mixing them! People seem to like the Scumback H75/M75 mix rather well...?

17. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

A lot of folks mix them. Matchless does in their 2x12 and 4x12 cabs. My Matchless 4x12 sounds fantastic with this mix. I think why some folks don't do it is because the G12H30 is just a little louder than the G12M. Some folks think the H overpowers the M. But, in my experience, I don't hear it - especially when you're a few feet away from the cab. It's more noticable when you're right next to it.

18. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Some of these descriptions are amazing. WTH is "chunky"? Or "crunchy"? Sounds like candy bars to me. :NUTS

19. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Wow I didn't know that this mix is used as much - Thanks. I prefer the G12H30 sound anyways, so it being louder than the G12M doesn't bother me at all. I think the M would add in what the H might lack. The M seems to be more mid heavy and lack a strong top-end and bottom. The H, just the opposite.