G12M-70 from the 80's...any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dazco, Feb 27, 2012.

1. dazco

dazco Member

Guy wants to sell me one for 50 bucks. Are these any good, and how can i tell for sure it was made in the 80's?

2. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

3. dazco

dazco Member

Wow, had no idea. Guess i'll pass.Thanks.

4. 5992

5992 Member

Probably one of Celestion's most hated speakers. They are more neutral than most of Celestion's other offerings and slightly scooped, not as bad as the G12T-75, though. They can sound okay clean.

I have a pair of them. They sound better to me in an amp which uses preamp distortion. They don't play nice with power amp distortion at all.

They also sound better when using pedals into a clean amp to get a distortion sound.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $20-$30 for one. You'll have a hard time moving it if you ever decide to sell it.

Here is a link that tells how to decipher Celestion date codes:

http://www.unclespot.com/celestion_date_codes.html

5. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

I don't like them either. They're raspy, and flat sounding.

6. jp1977

jp1977 Member

They use to come stock in many Marshall combos and cabs in the early to mid 80's. I know that they get a bad wrap on the net but to be honest they aren't bad at all. At least they are uk made unlike the Chinese stuff of today. I remember having them in a Jcm 800 combo and also had them in a 2x12 cab and I bet in a blind test that most naysayers couldn't hear the difference.

7. Rupe

Rupe Member

IMO, they sound great with high gain, processed tones. I used them for years in a stereo 4x12 with my old rack system...they sounded much better to me than greenbacks or vintage 30s for that particular application.

8. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

They sound the best in closed back cabs. I had them in an Open back Marshall combo in the 80's and they didn't sound good, but loaded in a 412 they sounded good.

9. rbehm

rbehm Member

I wonder why Celestion stopped making them...Uhmmmm ? ACK.

10. DaveV6

DaveV6 New Member

They're bad... no lows, harsh highs..... If you want a cheap celestion the G12L-35 is way better IMHO. Not a V30 or Greenback but better than the 70...

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  11. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

I remember the first time I met Jim from Scumback. I mistakingly thought I had G12m70's in my Jubilee 412 and told him what I had and I was looking for something different. First he cringed and then proceeded to tell me that it was the worst speaker celestion ever made. In the end, it turns out I have the original vintage 30's that just say vintage. They used to consider them 70watts, that's why the label on the back of my cab said 280 watts. My buddy had a G12m70 in a JCM800 combo he bought and he couldn't get that speaker out of there quick enough.

12. drewl

drewl Member

Had one in a 4210 combo, sounded horrible.

13. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Had one in my 4210.
    Thought it sounded good until it quit working and I replaced it with a CL80.
    WOW what a difference.

The CL80 was twice as loud, have better lows, punchier mids & smoother, non-ice picky highs.

Seriously, if I saw one in the trash I would cut the cone so that no one else would salvage it & try to use it.

14. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

That sound bad to you? Les Paul straight in - gain on about 6 master about 2. I tried a pair of 65's in there and it was like playing a box - all midrange and honk. I like the 70's. And the highs mellow out when you turn up - but even live this amp is on 2.5 and it is LOUD. Just cause people hate 'em - doesn't mean you will. I love them in this amp.

15. lpcustom

lpcustom Member

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

So, has anyone ever had a 70 reconed? Say if someone gave it to you? Would that help the sound (because the magnet assembly should be the same as a 65, right?).

17. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Wrong. The G12M-70 uses a 1.5" voice coil. The standard G12M frame uses a 1.75" voice coil. So you have a different cone/coil/spider resulting in a different speaker tone.

18. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

No.

Decent but only barely. Just cause it's old, doesn't mean it's good. If it was a G12-65 that would be a different dealio.