G12M Classic vs Heritage comparison clip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CrunchBoy, Jan 9, 2008.

1. CrunchBoy

CrunchBoy Member

Rig is a Marshall 100 watt Super Lead with a Marshall 2x12 cab with one G12M Classic and one 20 watt Heritage, both miced just off-center with an SM57. I thought some would appreciate the head-to-head comparison. I won't say which is which yet, but suffice to say, I didn't find the Heritage to be tonally superior to the Classic as I have often heard.
    http://www.soundclick.com/util/downloadSong.cfm?ID=6153497

2. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

I think the second one sounds like the Heritage G12M, at least that is what mine sound like in my room and recorded as well. In your recording, I do like the second one a lot better than the first.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

First clip is the Heritage, sounds like a Heritage G12H actually...are you sure it's an "M". Sounds new anyway and not broken in.

The second sounds like a good, broken in, regular old G12M.

4. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

The first one sounds like the Heritage to me.

5. CrunchBoy

CrunchBoy Member

Pretty impressive. Firt clip is Heritage. It is new. The 2nd is a broken-in "regular" G12M. The only area you missed is that the Heritage is not an H, and yes, I'm sure. But I agree, it does sound alot like the G12H30 I had. Bright and more scooped than the regular M. I was hoping for something warmer. I didn't care for the G12H30 with the Super Lead. I don't excactly dislike the Heritage G12M, but I could easily live with the regular ones.

6. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

That was a cool comparison. I've been using the Heritage G12H's for a while now but I could have sworn the Heritage M's sounded more like the second clip. When I had new reissue M's I didn't like them at all, they sound good in your clip however.

7. CrunchBoy

CrunchBoy Member

Thank You. The HW is stock. I run it with an Ultimate Attenuator and a Boss SD1 for those 80's Pop Metal tones.

8. Dave

Dave Member

Based on your clip the Heritage sounds a lot better to me. The Heritage has a much better low end, deeper and tighter. You can really hear it in your clip when you do the palm muted stuff. I have a 2x12 loaded with Heritage G12Ms and I love them. They are a little bright out of the box, but given some break in time they're very sweet. The ultimate crunchy rock and roll speaker IMO.

9. xray

xray Gold Supporting Member

I agree the heritage sounds much better. The classic sounds muffled by comparison. The Heritage M is the best reissue Celestion has come out with IMO

10. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I really liked the classic better. Back to back, it sounds middy, but listening for a minute, the impression dies of and it just sounds "full", the Heritage just sounds really really scooped and bright like it would get buried in a mix. I would love to hear this again when it's broken in though.

11. Dave

Dave Member

Well, a little EQ tweaking would work wonders with either speaker in that clip IMO, but it is a telling comparison.

The Heritage M has plenty of mids, it just sounds scooped compared to the classic because it's got stronger highs and lows. That brightness is easily tamed with a twist of the treble knob until they're broken in. Then they just sing!

12. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

The Heritage M has deeper lows in the clips, but I found the exact opposite to be true when I owned them.

The standard RI M's have more low end push that you can "feel" when actually playing them live. Beyond a certain point, the low end of the Heritage M's is virtually non existant IME.

The Heritage does have more clarity, but I never found the difference to be as extreme as what is heard in the clips.

I like both speakers, but in a live context I prefer the standard RI M's.

13. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I just don't hear the mids as much as the classic. To my ears, there isn't as much. The bass and treble are nice, but there needs to be more mids for me. I don't think I'm hearing this just because there is more bass/treble.

I'd rather not EQ to fix what I don't like. Based on the two clips, I'd go with the classics.

One of the reasons I liked them. Guitars are a mid frequency instrument and sound better in a mix where they are less scooped.

I would like to hear once the speakers are broken in though.

14. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Listening again, maybe one of each would be best. I think I would like something more balanced and one of each might be the ticket.

15. hamfist

hamfist Member

Good idea BBQLS1. Might be a great mix.

I was quite staggered at how different they sounded - very different frequencies of midrange emphasis.

16. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

I thought the Heritage had a slightly more metallic sound, and the Classic was slightly warmer.. I kinda liked them both.

17. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

infact after a few listens.. kinda jumping between the two so u can get a better idea of the tone rather than the feeling/playing.. Im pretty sure the Classic is more what i'd be after.

18. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Just played an EVH 4x12 with the Heritage G12M's. Couldn't stand them. Harsh, metallic, scooped...sounds just like CrunchBoy's clip. What hype. Give me my Scumbacks now!!!

19. atson67

atson67 Member

Great clips, thanks a lot.
    Would be great to hear a G12H30 (Anniv.) vs G12H30 (Heritage/55) clip.
    Not necessarily the most expensive speaker works for you.

20. odgeuk

odgeuk Member

Prefered the first one myself! More fuller, less nasally than the second one but both with that mid-crunch that you expect from a G12M voiced speaker. I vote for the Heritage!

You should try the G12C from the Vintage Modern cabs too.