G12M Or G12H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kitarist, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

Hey guys

I'm realy between those two speakers

To my ears H sound more smooth and clear and not so spikey as M series.

I checked the clips on youtube but the sound quality isnt that good there

I have an 1987X Plexi so what do you recommened

Playing Hard Rock and when on my own some virtuoso stuff like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani etc...

Thanks Again.

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

in that case you will probably gravitate more to the H. Perhaps a combination of g12h30 and V30 is your best bet.

The g12m is aimed more at rootsy blues cats and old school classic rock players. The H is kind of a mid-point between the classic greenback and the modern v30.

3. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I hear it the other way around. The H's have a brittle high end that the M's don't have as much of. Funny thing is the G12H30 used to be my favorite speaker. Now I like V30's and have been using them for years.

4. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

The G12H 55 hz isn't spikey at all.

5. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Ive been using G12M 25s for 6 months now and they are a little spikey and lack a little bass with pedals, otherwise, when the amp is cranked they sound glorious, Id go for the H's

6. mlongano

mlongano Member

G12Ms are 3-4 Db quieter than the G12Hs depending on whether you get the regular reissue or the Heritage series. Three or four decibels is a very noticeable difference...I own both in 4x12 configuration, and am continually amazed at the difference.

At any rate, the G12H besides being louder, have a tighter, more articulate feel, especially in the bass. The G12Ms have a more classic rock sound to them, and start to breakup earlier. They both sound wonderful in their own right. Either speaker would be an excellent choice for typical rock tones.

7. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I would avoid the G12M's if you need a lot of clean headroom. No matter how I tried I never could get them to clean up very well. They did sound nice cranked. I still have a 4x12 loaded with the chinese made G12 reissues and it's not one of the cabs that I enjoy.

8. JZWest

JZWest Member

In a 4x12 try 3 G12M Heritage and 1 G12H heritage. Put the H on the bottom.

9. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Why not try the G12-65's? They have some of the G12M character but smoother, great, great lowend, clarity, steller clean tones. It's my "go-to" speaker and matches well with just about anything. I'ts a good baseline for what an amp really sounds like; i.e. very balanced speaker. A good speaker is a good speaker. No fussing around with the likes of all the 20 or so various Eminence offerings.

10. thegame

thegame Member

Couldn't agree more :AOK 65s take what I like about 25s (those glorious sweet MIDS), do away with what I don't like about 25s (too early breakup, not enough bass).

As for the original question, G12M vs. G12H I'd take the M just because of those incredible mids.

11. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

what about a weber silver bell??? best of all worlds I think. g12h + g12m with a little bit of alnico blue sprinkled in.

12. hamfist

hamfist Member

I think M's and H's were made to be mixed up together in the same cab. They really complement each other gloriously. In use, you don't really notice the lower efficiency of the M's, as their mids cut through very nicely.

13. geonew

geonew Member

I think you may have to try both and decide for yourself...I love the 12m. To my ear the 12H does sound a bit harsher in the high end. ymmv

14. jamison162

Ceramic or Alnico SB? I've had a 50 watt Ceramic SB with Pre-Rola doping and it was nothing special. Pretty dissapointed with that one.

While I'm at it, my biggest speaker dissapointments have been:
    - Tone Tubby Ceramic
    - Celestion Heritage G12H
    - Celestion Alnico Gold
    - Weber Silver Bell (50w Ceramic)
    - Two Rock TR12-65 (Emi RW&B, Very dark)

15. coreybox

coreybox Member

Just curious, what disappointed you about the SB?

16. jamison162

Can't remember specifically to put into words....but it was just kinda plain sounding. Not good, not bad, nothing special. That's all I remember. Of course I was comparing them to Greenbacks, G12-65's, Scumbacks and it just couldn't hang.

17. superunknown

superunknown Member

Weber 1225 w/Pre-Rola Doping.....

18. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

Seems that i'll go with greenbacks i hope i wont be dissapointed hehe

19. Ironman

Ironman Member

I have 2 4x12's with M Heritages in one and H Heritages in the other. Both are very nice but if I had to choose, I take the M Heritages. It's hard to get a speaker to do it all but the Heritage M's are the closest that gets me my tone. BTW, I prefer them way more than the standard M's, you just have to experiment for yourself.

20. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

thanks for the review