G2D Cream Tone vs Cmatmods Signa Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jeremy A, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Jeremy A

Jeremy A Member

So my current setup is T1M EBVPJr (Turbo Tuner)>Diamond Comp>Timmy>Nova Delay>BSR

I'm looking to add 1 more overdrive and then my board will be complete because that is all I have room for. I have been set on the Signa Drive for a while, but the Cream Tone is just small enough to fit.

Signa Drive
    Pros: Great tone, extremely versatile, wide gain range,
    great with all types of guitars
    Cons: No boost function (SSD is too big)
    Cream tone
    Pros: Great tone, boost function
    Cons: It might be too much of a low gain od, not a lot of info on it,
    seems like it's only good with single coils

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Are you looking for a TS of some sort / something similar?

I just ordered an SRB808 2in1 custom like 2 minutes ago, I think it might match your needs.

3. Jeremy A

Jeremy A Member

Yes, TS. And both the signa and the cream tone are TS. The srb808 looks too wide to fit on my board

4. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Yea, he offers a smaller enclosure too, but I don't know how much smaller it is.

There was another thread on dual TS9s if you really want the boost part - do you want a clean boost or 2 TS9's? If you just want more volume, toss a Kickdisk on either the volume or gain knob, or keep your volume lower for rhythm and turn up for leads.

Visual Sound's makes a dual TS and so does Guitar Fetish (cheap and cheaper - doesn't convince me of quality).

I think the Wampler Hot Wired is a TS, but the one side is apparently more in the distortion range.

I got the SRB cuz it takes a single, standard 9v power supply and its TB, plus a great reputation, but you might consider 2 TS9s or a TS9 and a clean boost (MXR Micro amp is $40). I am running 2 TS Silvers and a Micro Amp currently, we will see if the SRB will kick those off my board ;)

5. Jeremy A

Jeremy A Member

Well I want either a boost or 2 separate overdrives, but I'm REALLY limited on space. I'm not quite sure yet if the Signa + Timmy combo would be enough.

6. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I liked a TS and a Timmy, but then I got the Bass channel of my Bassman modded to a dirty channel (so I didn't need the 'amp-like' OD).

Put up a pic of your rig, the people can play 'pin the pedal on the board' ;)

7. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Timmy as well as a Signa Drive, OCD, and a Blue Boy Deluxe. The Signa is great, but the Blue Boy is a more tweakableTS. I've also owned the SRB808+ but just didnt feel the love (may've been the lack of paint job). I've actually got the both Signa and BBS in the bull pen right now so would be willing to sell one or the other.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  8. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Yea, I don't care about paint - he has custom colors, but I said I was fine with the industrial, unpainted. I also ordered it with vintage/original specs, which would be different than the SRB808+.

9. Jeremy A

Jeremy A Member

So does anyone know anything about the Cream Tone?

10. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Not many Cream-Tone owners. Not to say because it's not a good pedal, I think they are just hard to come by (only 1 online retailer in the US: Musictoyz). However, every review I've read, people love the thing.

It's one OD I have always wanted to try, but haven't due to high price/lack of availability. I have heard it described by a few people as a "slightly creamier Fulldirve", which sounds pretty awesome to me. I WILL get one, one of these days...

11. alguit

alguit Member

I have a Cream Tone. It's a really nice pedal, very TS-ish with a Strat but more open sounding, and the boost is quite effective, not changing the tone at all but just making it right for solos.

I also like it with my P-90-loaded Reverends. As for humbuckers, I've only used my Heritage HC-150 with Duncan Antiquities, but it gets along great with the pedal.

I don't get the "cream" part of the name, though-it's not exactly a Zendrive or anything, but it's od is very satisfying, never harsh nor spiky.

A strat into this is Texas-blues heaven!

12. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I have a hard time believing the Creamtone is Smaller than the Super Signa. Both are great pedals, but the Signa is more versatile IMO; can be set more open.

13. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

I owned one for 5 years and sold it on the emporium this past summer. Very few posts about it on TGP. Suddenly now after i give it up its been trending slightly :p. It was my main dirt for a while untill i decided i just liked the brightness of my (808) blues devil better. I purchased it after owning a non mosfet FDII and i would say the comparison is accurate. Very well made and nice sounding dirt. But i played both of these pedals with wildly different rigs and scenarios so i cant really elaborate. If i did it over agian i would probably buy the custom. IMO if you are going for a smooth overdrive with lots of bass and mids the creamtone is a great choice but particularly if you want this sound using a trad fender amp. It even has "amp like" "sag" sound to it at higher gain levels. Things i diddnt like about it: Unfortunately, the boost is basically useless I tried it over and over, attempting to determine what it was doing and all i can say for sure is at max settings it makes the pedal like 2% louder and might make the mids sound slightly bigger. May be more obvious in a band setting. Also it is a very chunky beast for the sake of a practically useless second switch. Mostly it helps you decide between two LED colors. The FDII boost is better.

14. JustMike

JustMike Member

I'm a hard core G2D fan- have been for about 8-10 years. I had both the Cream Tone and the Custom Overdrive (still have the Custom). They are similar, both are very open and smooth sounding TS variants. The Boost on the Cream Tone mostly just makes it louder. The Boost on the Custom Overdrive also adds some gain. The Custom has a little more range of gain available overall than the Creamtone. I gave the Creamtone to the young man leading worship at our last church. He was in need of a good overdrive. Although I am not sorry I had the opportunity to give it to him, I am sort of sorry I did :)

The other nice thing about the Custom versus the Creamtone is that the Custom, since the Solo channel gives you more drive, essentially provides you with a 3 channel setup in one pedal- clean, mild blues OD, or scream/crunch.

All that having been said, the Custom Overdrive has been the only OD on my gigging board for the last 8-10 years. I don't even look at other OD's (TGP HERESY!). I love the sound. It is everything I ever wanted in dirt for blues and classic rock, and has stood the test of time for almost 10 years with me.

Get a G2D Custom Overdrive and you will not be sorry :)

15. JustMike

JustMike Member

Oh yeah, and to address the OP, the Custom and the Creamtone are the same size (same housing, different color), and either one worked just fine with single coils or humbuckers.

16. Defendant

Defendant Member

Perhaps the creamtone's name was influenced by the sound of the early production pedals. I had a very early creamtone and it was quite thick sounding, more towards a zendrive/ford tone than a texas blues kind of tone. I know the sound has been modded since.

17. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

Also, the creamtone i had featured internal switches... never touched them though lol

18. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

The internal switches allow for the G2D to work better with humbuckers.

19. fabien

fabien Member

Same experience here as JustMike, except I still have both Creamtone and Custom but not on the same board.

Creamtone is my main low OD, it fattens up the SCs just enough and is a pleasure to play. Agree that the boost is not very usefull unless you want to comp and solo with exact the same level of OD.

Custom is very low OD and creamy distortion in one pedal so it really gives you that 3 channel OD.

For me both are superior to the Fulltone II (not dissing the Fulltone)
    Both are very very dynamic. Creamtone is a tad fatter than Custom on the OD channel. Solo Channel is pretty close to the OD of my Ceriatone ODS.

20. Jeremy A

Jeremy A Member

So the only difference between the Cream Tone & Custom is the CT is a bit fatter and more of a TS, while the C has more gain available? Also, could someone please give me the dimensions of these? Thanks