G5 Noisy or what?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jackaroo, Dec 16, 2004.

1. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I've just spent the last 1/2 hour reading about how noisy the new machines are. Any credence to this myth?

peace,
    JD

2. matte

matte Senior Member

NO issue with noise. My old SCSI drives were much noisier.

3. MickRonson

MickRonson Member

You can hear the fan . . . not loud at all though:)

4. bluesman

bluesman Member

The word on the street is that they are louder than the previous model, which was whisper quiet, but still not loud.

It's the West Virginia principle - everything's relative.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

My son runs ProTools in his home studio. He just got rid of his G5 tower because of the noise from the fan and bought an IMac. Dead silent.

I don't know anything about new vs. old, though.

Dig it, nothing is as loud as SCSI drives.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

funny,

recently, i passed over my old "homebuilt" dual Athlon machine for a brand new Dell, and its AMAZING how quiet it is.

course, my overclocking, 120mm fan, water cooled days are long past. ;)

but why not get a wireless mouse / keyboard, and monitor cable extension, and hide it on a closet?

7. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I think I have just the spot for such a closet, Plus I've goy quite abit of soundproofing stuff kicking around these days. I'd better get busy desogning a space for the bugger!

How you been Jae? I haven't seen you for a while.

Peace,

J

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

sup, jack

just kickin' back in north jersey. glad you gettin' your studio jones on. seems like everyone i know is putting one up!

cant wait to hear what you'll have growing down here. :cool:

9. lhallam

lhallam Member

I've got a G4 tower and the disk drive caused the casing to rattle. I took a bunjee cord, wrapped it around the tower and no more rattle.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

funny,

last night, i went to CompUSA to pickup some blank DVD-R's, and saw a G5 display. went nearby to listen for the noise, and thought it sounded no louder than my Dell. *shrug* still, in a serious recording environ, i guess that'd be annoying, too.

my friend uses a homebuilt PC that he has incased in a cabinet that he said he got off of Sweetwater. sounded pricey, but i'm more than positive any boutique'y recording vendor can make a more affordable one.

FYI, instead of mere wireless, might as well go "BlueTooth". all new Mac's are equipped with BT transmitters/receivers that go well beyond in distance and are more reliable than the usual RF wireless setups.

11. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I'm just going to be very upfront with anyone I'm buying from about the noise issue. I'll unpack it right there and scope it out I don't care. Clean power I'm told makes a big difference in the noise specs...something about the G5s power supply.

Apparently wireless stuff adversely affects the program sometimes and is generally frowned upon. The answer most likely is a big run of usb cable with a self powered hub. I've already got the little soundproof closet under construction for the tower and the drives. I'll just soundproof and vent the heat out of there. Should be cool (literally). I'm hoping to have everything up and going by mid Feb. Lots of details...power regulation, cabling, monitors, pres, mics etc...ugh! I had it so good at my old place, I hope I can get my groove on with my new rig.

Splatt- what kind of setup are you working on? Matte said you're more of a logic guy than PT. What about converters and such? Do you have a rig and studio/tracking space? Or do you track elsewhere and then bring your aif's or whatever into logic at home?

PT is sooooo damn expensive and I hate digidesign, but that program is kickin' and I want to have studio compatibility. $$$$$$$$$$grrr!

end rant

12. headstack

headstack Member

If you need silence (nice to have) you'll want to put the cpu in a cooled sound deadening enclosure.
    You think the G-5 is loud?
    I have the G-4 mirror drive door (also known as the leafblower) and before I changed the PSU it was really loud.

13. trisonic

trisonic Member

Jack,
    Check them out at an Apple store. I know there is one at Short Hills Mall over here in Jersey. When I was in there I stuck my head against the case - didn't seem noisy! - Then it wasn't working too hard. My only complaint of the G5s' are the sheer size of the damn things, that's just me though....

Best, Pete.

14. sirN

sirN Guest

My G5 seems silent enough-most of the time. But it does have it's moments when the fans will kick in and roar. But it not very often.

15. redjet55

redjet55 Member

normally a g-5 is about as quiet as they come but if the fans kick on full blast they sound like a vacuum cleaner and are about as loud.

The fan may come on nominally and itÂ’s reasonable and have never in any normal use kicked on full. I had some issues where during a sleep they kicked on in the middle of the night but never when I was working.