GA5 Mania - postscript

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fiddler, Mar 25, 2008.

1. fiddler

fiddler Guest

So now that the Honeynoon period is over or is soon to be over, how is everyone enoying their new Gibson GA5 amps? ..

Did a lot of them get sent back?

Just curious....verdict is still out on mine...Already had it to an amp tech about a bit of rattle on lower end, sustained notes , no solution found....gonna give it some more break in time

2. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

Mine has no rattles and sounds very good. It's a keeper. Will it replace my main gigging amps, no. It is great for a jam session or recording and can even work well as a lower volume gigging amp for some venues. For $299 I'm pleased.

3. photoguy

photoguy Member

My honeymoon is well over. I've had mine for 3 years...I had similar experiences to many who posted in the other thread. At first, I was a little unsure, in time it delivered the goods and I haven't looked back. Despite being initially attracted to the amp for its simplicity, I found myself needing a few more "options" and started using a lot of pedals with it to give it a wider range of sounds.

I'm an 'at-home' player and frankly don't need anything more than this despite having been on the merry-go-round of different amps in the last few years. The Gibson always lurked in the background of a few other amps, and each time I came back to it, the other amp was out the door. I think I'll be content with this for a long while.

I had a little bit of a rattle also, changed the tube and it went away.

4. TanquerayCowboy

TanquerayCowboy Senior Member

I bought mine at Guitar Center about four years ago. Had gone shopping for a Fender Pro Junior, which didn't stack up side-by-side to the Gibson. Magnificent with the Telecaster I plucked off the wall (even better with mine).

I agree with Photoguy, it takes some playing time to break in the speaker. After four years, I haven't changed anything other than adding some pedals in front.

5. fiddler

fiddler Guest

Tube swaps did not help the rattling issue.......hoping speaker break in will help smooth things out....probably no more than 7 or 8 hours play time on the amp, mostly at around 12:00 on the volume knob, so I think I have quite a ways to go to consider her broke in

Amp tech said best thing to do with a GA5 was hook it up to an external speaker cabinet with a 10" or 12" speaker in it....says the 8" speaker just can't handle the low end very well...'course, this guy sells custom built speaker cabs so, gotta consider the source

6. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Man I keep hoping someone will put one on the forum. For the money they were hard to beat and I was too late to the party. The method and quality of construction makes for an easily modified amp.

rob

7. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I sent mine back. It had some great tones, but in the end was not what I was looking for. I do want a nice hand-wired, US made amp, but I'm thinking a Silverface Deluxe Reverb is more up my alley.

There is a part of me that wishes I kept it however....

8. jtindle

jtindle Member

I'm keeping mine. Its great for a home practice amp. Takes my pedals well also. I may end up getting an external cab for it, I have already hooked up the 8 Ohm tap to a 1/4" jack. Also clipped the cap for lower gain. Tried a 12AT7(?) and had clean all the way up to 3:00 in case I need the clean for playing out.

Jeff

9. Trout

Trout Member

Is there any word yet on what Gibson is replacing the now discontinued GA-5 with?
    Trout

10. 155

155 Member

lovin mine totally happy with the sounds, the sensitivity is what I really love , pick attack , guitar vol, ect

11. Mudder

Mudder Member

I really like mine, it does all the things I hoped it would do. The different inputs are noticeable enough to make it interesting and different guitars sound dramatically different, another cool factor for me.

On a side note, is there a jack adapter to go from the stock speaker output to a 1/4" out for a cab?

12. photoguy

photoguy Member

Mudder-
    I think there was an adaptor posted in the original thread.

13. fiddler

fiddler Guest

Anyone try a 5751 in their GA5?

14. 1955Junior

1955Junior Silver Supporting Member

As expected, quite a few GA-5s are popping-up on eBay - with prices running between $320 & $400 shipped. I'm sure we'll see more surface on the used market as time goes on. As for me, I picked mine up about 4 weeks ago and could not be more pleased. A friend of mine has done some of the mods disucssed in the other thread and we're planning to get together soon to do a comparison.