Gabriel Sound Garage Voxer 18 and 65 Amps London 18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rusty G., Nov 19, 2005.

1. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Man. . . these are two awesome looking and sounding amps. . .at least from their clips. . .But that's all I've got to go on. Has anybody here had the chance to own/use or play both of these great amps?

They both seem to have a Vox AC15 channel and an 18 watt Marshall Channel. Seem like a great combination of amps.

What's the deal?

Thanks,

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

Oooo,

interesting comparison! would love to find out, too. :cool:

3. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

bump for another look!

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I know just one chap on this board with the Gabriel.........several with the London amp. I doubt there is an overlap. But hey, someone please prove me wrong!! :D

5. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I certainly won't disagree with that assessment! Cocheese and his Gabriel.

ERIC

6. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I, as most people 'round here know, own a Voxer. I just cannot say enough good things about the Voxer. It suits me just perfectly. I have played the London as well. It is a very nice sounding amp as well, but I prefer the tone and feel of the Voxer by a long shot. We did a mini-Tonefest in Seattle one day and the choice was unanimous in favor of the Voxer. No doubt that they are both great sounding amps. With either one you'd be gauranteed stellar tone. Both Gabi and Dan are A++ guys to work with, so either way you'll have great customer support. I need to make some clips with mine here pretty soon so people can hear it. I've got a Mackie 400F on order which should be here within a week or so. I'll be sure and make some clips for you guys when I get it up and running.

In summary, both GREAT amps. I prefer the Voxer, but you should try and play both before you choose which is right for you. They are both variations on a theme...a VERY nice sounding theme I must say! :D ;)

7. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Cochese. . .The problem is there are no dealers of either around here. So. . .as to your Voxer. . .I'm looking for something that goes great with humbuckers, in particular a Les Paul. Of course, everybody knows Marshall.

How does the Voxer do with Les Pauls. I'm really looking for more of the Marshall side. How does it sound? Which side, Vox or Marshall do you use for rhythm, lead, etc.

Is the Voxer more of a Vox AC15 clone with a little Marshally sounding channel, or more like the Marshall 18 watt with a Vox AC15 thrown in for good measure? I listened to the clips on the website and they only have one Marshally sounding clip.

More, more, more. . .Please!

Thanks

8. e-z

e-z Member

I can't help with regard to the Voxer but I have a London and it sounds great with a Les Paul.

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

hey, there you go, I'm proven wrong......again.

:D

10. cocheese

Rusty,

I've played a Les Paul through the Voxer and it loves humbuckers as well as single coils and P-90's. I play through both channels with the A/B box that Gabi made for me...yes, it is yellow and black! :D I know what you mean about there being no dealers around your area. I used to live in Shreveport, LA which is nearby.

As far as whether the amp leans towards the Marshall or Vox side of things... I've owned Marshalls and I've owned Voxes and I'd say it's both. You have the Marshall side which is like the 18 watt Marshall sound not the loud mean Van Halen kind of Marshall. It's rootsier and bluesier and sweeter to me. The Vox side has teeth in addition to that sparkly thing. The Vox side is really tunable and you can get a ton of different Voxy tones out of it. Make no mistake though; this isn't limited to only the jangly Beatles sounds. It is a rude dude! :D

I promise to make some good clips when I get my little studio together.

11. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I'm going to be old and deaf by the time that promise comes through (just kidding) ;-).

I'd listen to Cocheese on this one. If Cocheese feels this strongly about the amp, it must be the real deal. I can't wait to play one.

12. cocheese

You gotta keep ribbin' me John!!! For good reason. This mythical "studio" thinkg I've been claiming is like waiting for the Great Pumpkin. I did make recordings on my old Mbox, but that has been years ago. The Mackie thing is supposed to ship in the 25th. I promise this time it's really going to happen! Really!!! ;) :D

13. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Cocheese - when you played the London, did you have a way to bridge the two channels? I've been using the Tonebone Switchbone to play both channels together, and for me, it's the missing piece that takes the London from "******!" to "HOLY CRAP!" But you can't just use an A/B/Y because the channels are out of phase, so you need a Switchbone or a Framptone or equivalent.

IMHO, YMMV, TLA, etc.

14. bobeau

bobeau Member

Sorry to diverge from the subject just a bit, but has someone tried Gabriel's 18 watt combo with just a tone knob/volume? Wow! That's kinda my ideal tone right there.... at least from what I can tell from his clips. He plays like I do too...

15. cocheese

doc,

No, I didn't try the London with a splitter box. That sounds like it would open a whole new group of possibilites. Maybe next time!

16. raildog

raildog Member

Vintage guitar just did a write up on the voxer and from what I have heard they liked it so much they bought it!!!!! check out the march issue, a glowing review, they called it a absolute killer!!!!!! thanks,Scott

17. raildog

raildog Member

There I go again using that word heard!!sorry

18. B Vance

B Vance Member

The most recent edition of Vintage Guitar Mag has a review of Gabriel. He has an interesting back story. You ought to check it out if you get the chance.

Also, I have played the 65 London and I love it.