Gabriel Voxer...I'm head over heels!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cocheese, Jun 10, 2005.

1. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I just simply cannot get over how good this amp sounds! Sorry, but I have to share with you guys how elated I am!!! The Vox side has me rethinking everything about my tone. I am plugging straight in and getting tones that i never knew I wish I had. I know that sounds confusing, but follow me on this one. My first boutique amp was a Matchless DC-30 which I had for almost 10 years but always kept in 1/2 power. My intention on the amp was to have like a half power DC-30 but with a little more tightness on the EF86 channel. What i got was amazing beyond my wildest dreams! The 18 watt Marshall side sounds very nice but, as raunchy as a Marshall can be, the Vox side just screams! It's not a high gain kind of thing but the kind of thing where I need no pedals to get "my" sound. I have been playing around with pedals lately, but I just relaized that this amp sounds phenomenal with absolutely nothing but a guitar and cord in front of it. With my volume knob, i got from sparkly clean tones to mild grit, to wailing lead tones. All of this at 18 watts, which is really enough for me. I used to think that you needed a lot of watts to get a fat sound, but this little amp has changed everything about the way I think of amps and wattage. On top of that the thing is featherweight! This amp plugged through my Germino 2x12 with open back panels and Chinese Greenback RI's is just heavenly!

Sorry, but i just had to let that out! :D

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Great news.............now sell me your Germino! :D

3. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Very cool - can you give us more details about the amp and the company? Never heard of it before...

4. cocheese

Easy Riff! jkr has right of first refusal, then Chuck snider, then you. ;) :D

The website is www.gabtone.com Gabi is a WONDERFUL guy to work with; a true gem of a person. Two major thumbs up! :)

5. cocheese

splatt,

It's just such a rich sounding amp. Something about the way that the EF86 blends with the EL84's makes for some good noise. I retubed it with an Amperex EF86 and Visseaux EL84's and that made it that much sweeter. I was very surprised by how loud 18 watts can be. I always thought of them as "baby" Marshalls, but not so. On top of that, the Vox side of the Voxer is WAY louder than the Marshall side. :confused: I guess it's just that preamp tube hammering the front end.

I hope you get to hear one soon. Very cool amps.

Saul said that my Bigsby Tornado is very near completion. After hardware delays, it's just now reaching fruition! I'm excited to say the least. :)

6. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I think the design of this amp is very similar to the London 65 amp minus the tremolo.

I think some guys on the 18 watt forum got to try both back to back and most preferred the gabi voxer.

7. cocheese

I have A/B'ed the voxer with the London. Both are great amps, but I liked the Voxer more.

8. jayn

jayn Member

Not to fan the flames even more...but, I was in a room on Sunday with this amp, a Two-rock, some Z's, an AC30CC, and a couple other of Cocheese's prime amps, and the second I heard a Tele through the Voxer, I blurted out, "what was THAT?" I can't remember the last time I've had such a strong positive reaction to the tone of an amp. Very cool!

9. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Gotta love an amp that has an amazing Vox side and then a Marshall side to boot!

Give us clips!!! Give us clips!!!

Feel.....GAS......coming.......on

10. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

Is the marshall side based on the vol/tone normal channel of the 18 watter? I think I prefer the trem channel of the 18 watters.

11. cocheese

Jay,

That was a good jam. We'll have to do it again. GREAT Lentz you got too. That one is going to age like a fine wine.

jkr,

I know, I know... I'm really behind on getting that so-called recording setup together. Maybe this weekend?!?! There's no excuse for such procrastination! :mad: ;) :D

mjpisat,

I'm not sure if it's based on the trem channel or the non-trem channel. I'm assuming that the only difference between the two channels on a true 18 watt is the trem, but i'm not sure about that. I'll check with Gabi and let you know.

12. DanBoul

DanBoul Member

Yep, I consulted with Gabi on that amp. He knew that I was hot for the EF86 and we shared info back and forth. Gabi and I are good friends and we share quite a bit with each other.

He's making those 1 at a time in his shop in Chicago, he does great work!

13. cocheese

How cool is that?!?!? Two amp designers actually working together and mutually admiring eachother's work. See, people are inherently good and there can be peace in the universe. ;)

Hats off to both of you guys. Thanks for sharing Dan. The EF86/EL84 interaction is just stunning! :)

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

seriously...

nice to see that some guys can actually be quite civil on this board. :cool:

15. DanBoul

DanBoul Member

You guys are nice!

Gabi and I are friends and we're both happy to help each other. He's a super good guy who does great work . . . what's not to like?

Although his amps and ours are based on the same stuff, they're both different in many ways. I'm sure we'll appeal to different people for different reasons.

There's plenty of pie for everyone!! :)

16. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

no mention of the Voxer on the website that I could find?

17. cocheese

Here's a shot of my Gabriel Voxer with my Germino Club 40 sitting on a Germino 2x12 cab.

[​IMG]

18. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

cocheese-
    A couple of questions for you:

Does the Voxer have a tube or solid state rectifier?

How does the Master Vol sound on the AC15 side for gainy tones at low volume? (For reference, I've been a little unimpressed by my AC30CCs Master Volume when I have to keep it under about 9:00 on the dial)

The concept of these amps (AC15 and 18 watter in one head) seems like a match made in heaven. Enjoy!:dude

19. cocheese

The Voxer has a tube rectifier, an EZ81 I believe.

Since mine is basically the first one, designed by Gabi and myself, it does not have the master volume. I prefer a non-master amp. You'll have to double check with Gabi, but I think he will do them either way. At home I run the Vox side on about 2-3 for some nice overdrive at lower volumes. Keep in mind that 18 watts can still be pretty loud.

You're correct, the combination of the two preamps is simply heavenly. I'm continually amazed by how "tame" the 18 watt Marshall side sounds compared to the Vox AC15 side.

20. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Supporting Member

Beauty, Tyler, 'bet it songs!!! I hope you're planning on bringing it to the hopefully-soon-to-be Seattle Ampfest? Any thoughts between you and Gabi about a combo version? Could the chassis be converted to combo use? I've already got a Celestion Blue that needs a good home...:D