Gadow Custom hollow. Opinions please?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tag, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I am looking at this one. It played BEAUTIFULLY. Wolftone Legend pups. Are they made in the USA? Anyone own or play them? Thanks for any info!

[​IMG]

2. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Member

Amazing guitar. One of the best I've played. Made in the USA by a small company. I've spoken to the owner before and he's knowledgeable.

The Custom Hollow I played was hand built: birds eye maple neck and fretboard, gold top, Lindy Fralin humbuckers.

Played and sounded great, even for heavy music.

Very clear, clean notes with nice harmonic undertones and notes which bloomed. The sustain wasn't as good as a solid body guitar, but the tone, playability, its ability to stay in tune and fantastic intonation made up for that.

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Thanks man! Anyone else???

4. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Their website is gadowguitars.com

I just scored a Gadow Custom Hollow off of eBay...5A Black Cherry Quilt Maple Top, Duncan 59 in the neck and JB in the bridge, Tone Pros wrap around bridge etc. Can't wait to get it and fire her up!

From all the people I've talked to and the reviews that I've read, everyone seems to really love these guitars. I'll let you know when I get it. By the way, Elderly Music(elderly.com) has a bunch in stock and they're blowing out a few Custom Hollows at ridiculous prices...check it out!

5. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Any more Gadow Custom Hollow owners out there?

6. bilbal

bilbal Member

I owned a Tri-Burst Custom Hollow for about 5 months and loved it. I sold it because I eventually picked up an ES-335 and really had no use for the Gadow anymore. I believe it is available in the Emporium right now. In fact, I know it is and it's going for a very, very, cheap price. Actually, it's a "steal" as one other member put it. Here is the link:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=337762&highlight=gadow

As with most equipment transactions I make, I regret letting the Gadow go. It was an incredibly built guitar and played perfectly. I think the neck was one of, if not the best guitar neck I have ever played. The Pickups were both coil tapped Seymour Duncan humbuckers that were pretty loud but very much full of tone(s). Anyone who were to buy one of these guitars would certainly not be disappointed. Another great thing about Gadow is that Ryan (Gadow) is a very active member of the Gadow forum and loves his guitars and stands behind them.

Great, Great guitars!!!!!

bilbal

7. kit829

kit829 Member

I have two Gadow Custom Hollow guitars--one with Duncans (Jazz & JB) and a maple fretboard, the other with Fralins and a rosewood board. Great guitars. I love the necks.

8. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Member

Yes, the neck on the one I played (Birdseye Maple) was fantastic. I'm not a fan of the bodystyle. But, the neck felt fabulous.

9. ghisi

ghisi Member

I am another happy owner of two custom hollows, one with a rosewood fretboard and P90s and another with a pau ferro figerboard and Duncans.

The previous posts say pretty much everything. These are wonderful guitars and are priced below other brands with the same quality.

I could not be more satisfied with my Gadows. And the necks are really fantastic !

10. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Well, everything that I had heard about these guitars is true. I got my Gadow Custom Hollow today and pretty much fell in love with it from the moment I opened up the case...a true thing of beauty!

The guitar is extremely well built and the finish is one of the best I've ever seen. I can't get over how light it feels, I'm guessing maybe around 6-7 lbs at the most. The neck is amazing, like I've been playing it for years...I'm sure other Gadow owners will back me up on this one.

The Duncan pickups(59/JB)create a really nice combination, and the coil tapping produces some very convincing single coil tones as well. The overall playability is excellent and the guitar sustains really well in comparison to other semi-hollowbody guitars I've played...I'm betting the Tone Pros wrap around bridge has a lot to do with it.

I have to be honest, I really wasn't expecting this type of quality. I got a killer deal on the guitar, and I figured for the price it was definitely worth checking out. THANK GOD I DID!!! Something tells me this guitar is going to provide me with many hours of enjoyment. So for any of you that have been sitting on the fence, trust me...you will absolutely love these guitars.

11. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

C'mon Gadow owners, let's help get the word out about these awesome guitars.

12. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

My Custom Hollow has become my GoTo guitar. It is light, comfortable and has an incredible range in tone that makes it so versatile. I have the JB/Jazz pup configuration that suits my style very well. I've read that this combo is Seymour Duncan's favorite and I can see why. The coil tapping is a bonus. For gigs this guitar will cover all the bases and not break your back or your wallet.

13. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Supporting Member

14. Josh O

Josh O Member

I tried one a few years ago that had a custom flame finish. I was so amazed how a guitar with a bolt-on maple neck could sound like a Les Paul and a Tele at the same time.