Gaga concert impressions

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Gspspinone, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Gspspinone

Gspspinone Supporting Member

So, I took my 10 yo daughter to see Gaga at Fenway Park in Boston on Saturday night (heck, she came to see Dweezil Zappa and KISS with me so I owed her one, lol).

Impression: While I'm in no way a Gaga fan, I do respect her as an authentic musician and vocalist....have to say she delivered live. Fantastic presence, impressive vocals (especially considering all the dancing she does while singing)...the band was good and suprisingly rocked out a bit at times (keys, bass, drums and 2 guitarists). She doesn't lip sync and I didn't get the impression her vocals were otherwise assisted. Played keys, guitar and piano too.

Gaga had the crowd of 35,000 (an interesting and eclectic mix of souls) in the palm of her hand the entire 2 hours she was on stage. Quite an entertaining 2 hours.

First "glam-pop" show I've attended (I'm a pushing 50 classic rock/punk/blues/outlaw country type of guy) and while I won't be rushing out to grab a Gaga T shirt I'm glad I went.

And kudos to her for bringing it for her fans

spiral, gdomeier, Tag and 22 others like this.
  2. Clyde Billt

Clyde Billt Silver Supporting Member

She has some very early stuff kicking about Youtube that is quite rocky and interesting. You certainly wouldn't associate it with the strange "performance art" stuff she did later on.
    She knows her music history and has name-checked quite a few under the radar type blues and alternative music.

I'm not all that keen on a fair amount of her work but she knows her market and puts everything into it.
    I have her down as a straight up musician and performer.
    Not that anybody looks for my validation, but there it is anyway.

Dude, I think you owe her two, at the very least.

strike3 and fretless like this.
  3. Gspspinone

Gspspinone Supporting Member

She actually enjoyed Dweezil and called me at work one day to inform me KISS we're playing near us and asked if I wanted her to go with me, lol.

strike3 and Clyde Billt like this.
  4. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

My Lady Gaga experience is pretty limited to passing TV/Radio exposure - but I think she has a great voice and is a captivating performer, has real charisma
    I thought when she sang The Star Spangled Banner at the 2016 ( I think) Super Bowl, it was about the most moving and strong performance of this song I'd ever heard- she gave 100%!

strike3, TubeStack, JK47 and 5 others like this.
  5. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

If you don't like Gaga, you don't like music.

strike3, BMX, B Money and 4 others like this.
  6. loudboy

loudboy Member

The things I like best about her are her unwavering devotion to her fans, and her message of inclusion of everyone. Fiercely intelligent and uncompromising on it

The "waliking, talking art show" aspect of her is just icing on the cake.

strike3, TubeStack, JK47 and 3 others like this.
  7. Big'Uns

Big'Uns Member

I love the vids in YouTube of her just sitting at a piano and singing, but I'm not big of the album/video product. She is absolutely talented and the real deal but I wish she'd have stripped down the production on her music as her chosen style/image. But it's her career and I can't argue with the success.

strike3 likes this.
  8. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

I have total respect for her as an artist and live performer.

Her gimmicky image and public persona try me, however....

noctilux1 and JK47 like this.
  9. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Member

My girlfriend has converted me. I'd head to see her live anytime. It's not my favorite genre, but she's an incredible musician that does things her own way, damn what's expected. I learned a long time ago that genres are typically left at the door when playing live. It's all just music.

10. rwmct

rwmct Member

I'll pass. Not into artists dancing around and all that spectacle stuff.

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  11. slybird

slybird Member

It seems to me that the vast majority of successful musical entertainers have a 'gimmicky' image, costume, or persona, and they dance around. Many of the TGP's favorite artists are guilty of the crime, but I never notice the criticism pointed out.

Clyde Billt and ckfoxtrot like this.
  12. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

Jeez...

I guess I was a "little monster" going back to '08...

It was cool watching her ascent.

This performance is one I always recommend to see her talent.

Just Stefani and a Steinway.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Big'Uns, jhale and slybird like this.
  13. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

You'd hate Spinal Tap.:D

beanbass likes this.
  14. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

I unknowingly saw Lady Gaga back in NYC at Pianos in the early 2000s. My friend and I walked in and there are these two very hot girls barely wearing anything performing. The one girl was playing piano and singing but her one leg was on top of the piano. She basically played the piano in all positions except normal seated position. After the shock sort of wore off I was blown away at how good she was! Her voice was badass and her piano playing was musical and solid. I remember thinking that she would probably be famous one day. Fast forward 6 years and the artist I was producing excitedly puts on this video by this new artist Lady Gaga. I knew it was her immediately. Great artists are unmistakable and she is truly one of the greats of the last few decades. People say she bites madonna and all this other crap, but all Lady Gaga needs is a mic and a piano to blow the audiences mind away. It also doesn't hurt that she doesn't own any pants.

15. Non-Musical Hack

Non-Musical Hack Member

If you cannot appreciate a talented singer-songwriter live perhaps you are a bigot?

There is the LGBTQ part and the talent part.

16. guitfiddle

guitfiddle Member

Some friends and I got tickets to Artpop because she had Babymetal opening for five dates, and one was in Denver. No way that spectacle was getting that close without me seeing it.

Gaga's show blew all our minds. She's the real deal.

claudel likes this.
  17. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

oh man thats totally awesome. The other "totally hot girl" would have been Lady Starlight, who was basically a mentor for Gaga on the NY LES and helped her add performance art elements into what she did at the time. It's actually not a stretch to say that without Lady Starlight, Lady Gaga as we know wouldn't exist the same way.

to the OP, Gaga has that IT factor. Her onstage Charisma is off the charts. And she always ups the Rock factor live. Her songs almost always have a rock undercurrent with a pop veneer, and she has a habit of knocking off the veneer during live shows.

It's no secret I'm a huge Gaga fan. It's all about her voice ... something about her voice cuts me to the core. And she is a bit of a weirdo... I like weirdos.

Gaga's weaknesses have been in songwriting IMO, although she's had some really great songs. However, if you google "Gaga Captivated" I still think that is an example of songwriting from her better than anything she's done in her pop phase. The latest album Joanne is really good though and shows improvement in that regard. While I like her quirky pop stuff (particularly the electronic/rock combo on Born This Way), she is best when channeling that inner Norah Jones/Elton John Hybrid.

She is a master vocalist and song interpreter. I just want her songwriting to match her interpretation capability.

This example of Gaga interpreting Carole King is a masterclass in song interpretation.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    dansworld and Paleolith54 like this.
  18. ckfoxtrot

ckfoxtrot Member

That's cool that you enjoyed the show and that you took your daughter to see it!

I like Lady Gaga a lot (my taste in music is pretty eclectic, I can go from something like Soundgarden one song to Lady Gaga the next). She's very talented and has a great voice. I even like her ever changing/evolving style/fashion.

It seems like it would be pretty fun to see her in concert. Maybe some day!

TubeStack and Gspspinone like this.
  19. ckfoxtrot

ckfoxtrot Member

[​IMG]

20. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Who were the guitar players? One of them was on the No Guitar Is Safe podcast a while back IIRC and he was killer.