Gagliano guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by noteethleroy, Jan 18, 2008.

1. noteethleroy

noteethleroy Member

Howdy all, been lurking for awhile now, but I just had to post and ask about this thing.

[​IMG]

A friend of mine got this given to him by an elderly neighbor who knew nothing about it, can anyone tell me anything about it?

It says made in western germany on the back of the headstock and Gagliano on the front. I found the name while searching but mostly in reference to old classical guitars. I've never seen anything with this many controls.

[​IMG]

It has some kind of textured material covering the body

[​IMG]

2. snarkle

snarkle Member

Made by Hofner, sometime in the 1960s...I've had that same guitar with a Hofner decal on the headstock and a red textured vinyl finish. Gagliano may have been a musical-instrument distributor...I've seen lots of Gagliano accordions, but this is the first guitar!

3. mlongano

mlongano Member

Reminds me a bit of an old Hagstrom I had in the early '60s.

4. Alainlafrance

Alainlafrance Member

In fact it's an Hofner 175 made in 1968 and dedicated to the German market; must be a distributor batch.
    The top is made from vinyl.

5. noteethleroy

noteethleroy Member

Thanks Alain, that led me in the right direction. According to this site, the extra switches make it a 176. http://jazzgitarren.k-server.org/hofner.html

I found a ton of pictures of other ones by searching for Hofner instead of Gagliano.

I plugged it in and except for some pretty nasty hum it actually sounds pretty decent and most of the switches seem to work.

6. reeced

reeced Member

7. usedcarshow

usedcarshow Member

Greetings...just stumbled onto this thread as part of my quest/obsession to obtain a gagliano/hofner 176 like the one given to me by my parents, Christmas 1973 when I was a 14 year-old beginning guitarist. It was very similar to the one pictured at noteethleroy's post (mine had a red/gold vinyl covering). I foolishly sold the guitar about two years later to a High School acquaintance, who STILL has the guitar, but of course won't part with it...oh well...I was wondering if noteethleroy's friend that had the gagliano might be willing to part with it...anyway, perhaps someone can be of assistance...thanks!